• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Would you allow this if you were the DM

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Apologies all...I should read the entire thread before posting I guess.*

I was ninja'd (hehe kung fu'd?) by [MENTION=6791331]Black_Staff[/MENTION].

* I hate reading the entire thread before posting, then I have to go back and find the spot where it occurred to me to quote somebody.../sigh. I will admit...I should have in this case. le sigh.

The bear is AC 11 (natural armor), per PHB p.304. That is with a Dex mod of +0, so its' "wearing" 1 point of natural armor. As a DM I wouldn't allow the Monk's Unarmored Defense ability as it is meant to be used while not wearing armor. :>

Kung Fu Panda.
By that metric, I could shapeshift into a fox, and still fire a bow.

D&D is not a universal fantasy kitchen sink. There are things which exist within the setting being described, and things which do not exist. The martial arts abilities of a monk are meant to represent the advanced techniques used by humans (or humanoids). It doesn't apply to the form of a non-anthropomorphic animal.

Paraxis

Explorer
The bear is AC 11 (natural armor), per PHB p.304. That is with a Dex mod of +0, so its' "wearing" 1 point of natural armor. As a DM I wouldn't allow the Monk's Unarmored Defense ability as it is meant to be used while not wearing armor. :>

Natural armor is not wearing armor, it is natural.

But the formula for calculating unarmed defense for monk doesn't take natural armor into account so you wouldn't use it.

AC would be 10+(bear dex mod)+wis mod, you don't add 1 for the natural armor it just becomes pointless.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
No problem. This also gives us a delightful new monster - a monk who died and was reincarnated as a bear. A monkbear :D

You mean, he'd be a...yogi?

yogi-bear.gif

Dausuul

Legend
I would say, you can play it on probation. I reserve the right to nerf this combo at any time--and I mean any time, now or a month from now or a year from now, whenever it becomes a problem.

Good night, druid. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely nerf you in the morning.

If I decide a nerf is required, I will discuss it with you, but the final ruling is mine. If you're not okay with that level of uncertainty, then don't make a kung fu panda druid.

Last edited:

I had something similar occur in my game: 7th level monk wants to know what happens if he gets polymorphed into a Giant Ape. Does he still get to use Flurry of Blows and Extra Attack? After checking the wording of the rules, I tentatively said yes. So far he hadn't actually ever done it though.

Remove ads