D&D 4E Would you buy 4E if it were not open/had no licenses for 3rd party companies?

Would you buy 4E if it were not open/had no licenses for 3rd party companies?

nerfherder said:
A quick glance at my RPG bookshelf shows about 40 RPG, of which only 5 are open - 2 produced by WotC.

To not buy a RPG because it isn't open seems... odd.

It would be odd, except for the fact that Pathfinder is a competing choice, completely open, authored by the company that produced the best 3E adventures, and which ushered Dungeon Magazine into its Golden Age.

Ken

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
As is even with open gaming I would probably only buy something if it were along the lines of a Lords of Madness type project I could reverse engineer with really cool stuff. But if they put a stake in open gaming even in limited form I'll eliminate not only all WoTC purchasing but all HASBRO purchasing just because they've pissed me off.

hong

WotC's bitch
Haffrung Helleyes said:
It would be odd, except for the fact that Pathfinder is a competing choice, completely open, authored by the company that produced the best 3E adventures, and which ushered Dungeon Magazine into its Golden Age.

Ken
You have listed two reasons for choosing Pathfinder over 4E.

jaldaen

First Post
As a D&D player and DM I voted that I'd get it even if it was closed (especially since I'm getting it for 66.00 from Amazon).

As a freelance writer/designer... well let's just say that I certainly hope there will be a GSL that at least allows adventures, supplements, and campaign settings. Otherwise I'll have a lot more free time on my hands in the coming years (which isn't a bad thing as I'll find something else to write about).

SSquirrel

Explorer
I would be sad looking back knowing what I would have lost just from Arcana Evolved and Ptolus not being possible w/o the OGL. However, this is a new edition. Things weren't prior to 3E, 4E will hopefully be open, but I'll be playing the game if it is a good system and my friends enjoy it.

drothgery

First Post
nerfherder said:
A quick glance at my RPG bookshelf shows about 40 RPG, of which only 5 are open - 2 produced by WotC.

To not buy a RPG because it isn't open seems... odd.

This.

Though my bookshelf is almost entirely d20/d20-derived games, most others aren't even remotely open.

Rakor

First Post
The poll gives a bit of a funny result. I really like Open Gaming. I would really really prefer that they allow for open gaming but it's not a great moral crusade. So even though it doesn't matter to my purchase of 4e I'm still strongly in favor of open gaming.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I would purchase 4E even if it were completely closed. I would certainly prefer it at least somewhat open, which I fully expect to be the case. But open or closed is not a deal breaker for me.

Remove ads