• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Would you buy 4E if it were not open/had no licenses for 3rd party companies?

Would you buy 4E if it were not open/had no licenses for 3rd party companies?

arscott

First Post
I voted no purchase w/out GSL.

It's a bit of a lie--I'd still spring for the PHB, since folks I play with are sure to switch over. But I'll not be buying the DMG, MM, or Insider subscription that I was planning to get.

I've probably run and played more non D&D d20 than I have actual D&D. Absent the sort of flexibility provided by 3rd-party support, I just don't see myself using the 4e rules that much. Especially if some game company was to make a 4e-like system that was adaptable to a variety of genres.

Yair

Community Supporter
While I would purchase 4e core even if it's completely clsoed (and voted accordingly), I probably wouldn't be buying further supplements beyond that. I intend to take the good bits and plug them into an OGL game, not to continue playing official D&D in the long run.

med stud

First Post
I will defenitly buy it even if closed. I buy very few supplements as is and I don't see 4e as a major difference (the PHB II, DMG II and MM II has me curious, though).

I will miss stuff like Arcana Evolved and Iron Heroes for 4E... But since Mearls is now at WotC, and Monte is writing novels, I would miss that stuff anyway.

And someone mentioned upthread that there aren't as much 3E publishers these days. if someone of them really wants to create new material for D&D 4, I am sure that they could just ask for a special permission/license.

The only thing I don't want to see are cease-and-desist letters to player sites that post material to supplement 4E. That might make me want to "punish" WotC by not continuing to buy products. Especially if I would get such a latter or e-mail to that content. It already pissed me off when the first German 3E distributor (Amigo) did this. It didn't help them that they weren't fast in creating the translated versions, either, but in the end, our group rarely buys German D&D rule-books anymore. Even though Amigo is no longer responsible for that.

The only thing that can stop me from buying the 4E core rule books would be ... Threats against my bodily health? Exorbitant price increase (200+ %)? Proof (maybe by my time-travelling future self) that the game actually sucks, despite all evidence to the contrary so far?

Gorrstagg

First Post
I will buy it irregardless of 3rd party offerings. But I think it would do an incredible disservice to the game, the company, the players and the shareholders.

A larger diversity in moderation only expands the player base and the revenues of the evergreen products as inspired by other purchases.

Going over stuff that I've actually picked up as 3rd party from 3rd/3.5 editions.

Stuff by Monte Cook, such as the Ptolus campaign. Stuff from Fiery Dragon that supported Ptolus. Stuff from Skeleton Key that supported Ptolus.

Arcana Unearthed, Arcana Evolved. And some books of might.

I've bought a few modules from companies that put them out, just for the nostalgia factor, but it supports them.

So in effect, it's not hard for me to go with mostly WotC stuff.

But I had explored picking up settings like the revised Ravenloft, and other such works.

My point.. make the damn thing open with some caveats that block inappropriate stuff or deny them the d20 symbol. And let's get on with the gaming shall we.

Essentially just stop jerking the community around and let's get going already.

nerfherder

Explorer
Kamikaze Midget said:
Some of the best game material in the world has been produced by companies who are not WotC. Core be damned, if you are not checking out the 3rd party stuff, I kind of pity your games.
That's true, but I certainly wouldn't go as far as to pity people who only play D&D, and don't check out Call of Cthulhu, Traveller, Runequest, Ars Magica, Feng Shui, etc.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Reveille said:
I'd prefer it to be partly open, but I'm going to buy it regardless of whether or not it is.
Similar stance here, with the caveat: An open 4E might increase number of sourcebooks I'm buying, as partially open means more 3rd party adventures, and probably gems like Monte's stuff - this stuff helps me to keep my interest at RPGs.

Cheers, LT.

Remove ads