Would you buy FR novels if the game world didn't exist?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Brian Compton said:
1) If you like FR, do you like the novel or game side more?

2) Was your first introduction to FR via the game, the novels, or otherwise (video games for example)?

3) If you came to the game because of the novels, could you see yourself having come to the game had the novels not existed?

4) If you came to the novels because of the game, could you see yourself picking up the novels had there been no game?
1) Game side
2) 2E Campaign Box Set
3) n/a
4) No, absolutely not. I bought the Threat From the Sea saga many years ago. I started reading the first book and couldn't make it to the second chapter. Boy, was that a waste of money. I could have had another FR game product for the price. :\

Neil Bishop

First Post
1) If you like FR, do you like the novel or game side more?

The game side.

As far as I am concerned, novels exist for two reasons, one good and one bad:

1. to ensure that FR remains profitable so that WotC continues to publish it; and
2. to annoy the heck out of me by playing in "my" game world. ;)

My FR uses 3E's FRCS as a baseline and only those events since that I have chosen to add from novels (currently a big, fat zero). I strongly suspect that I will avoid FR4E like the plague and instead run FR using the Savage Worlds ruleset.

2) Was your first introduction to FR via the game, the novels, or otherwise (video games for example)?

Dragon articles followed by the grey box.

4) If you came to the novels because of the game, could you see yourself picking up the novels had there been no game?

Probably but not because the novels are necessarily good fiction. When I was younger I would pretty much read any fantasy novel. Now I do read them from time to time but I don't particularly enjoy them.

Remove ads