• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would You Buy This Game?

Would you buy this book?

• No, Dante sucks.

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Yes, in hardcover format.

Votes: 38 35.5%
  • Yes, in softcover format.

Votes: 17 15.9%

talien

Community Supporter
Abyss is a role-playing game set in the fantastic world of Dante's Inferno. It is a world of treachery and evil, where violence is a continual threat and doing a good deed could get you killed. Powerful archfiends dominate a world filled with the lost and the damned, but are themselves dominated by the lords of the Inferno. It is a world where absolute evil is mirrored by absolute good. Even the lords of the Abyss must heed the servants of the Divine, or face the wrath of God and his sword, the Host.

Abyss, originally released in 1997 under a different license, is a d20 role-playing setting that includes:

* 17 new races, including centaurs, minotaurs, stygians, erynies, and succubi.
* 10 new prestige classes, including black paladins, infernal engineers, and plague knights.
* 31 new spells, including disease of the falsifiers, gluttonous garbage, suicide forest and boiling blood.
* 14 new psionic powers, including mind shard, phantasms, power clone, and psychic clutch.
* New magical items, including 2 armor, 12 weapons, 7 wondrous items, and 3 artifacts.
* A complete listing of Dante's Inferno, including all 9 circles. Each circle includes environmental and magical factors, terrain types, city statistics, and wandering monster tables.
* 16 new monsters, including infernal machines, nephilim and thief-eater serpents.
* An adventure, Blood Loss.

Would you buy this book? And if so, in what format? The results of this poll will help determine if the book gets published, so please let me know your thoughts!:confused:

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Most setting books tend to get pretty thick and thick books work best as hardcover. Also, most setting books are hardcovers, Rise of Evil is the only one I can think of that isn't.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
See, I love Dante, but I have minimal interest in this setting in hardcover or softcover (and because of your poll, I had to vote that "Dante sucks" — that hurts, man :p). It seems like it could be interesting, but something about the blurb puts me off (can't put my finger on it). I'd really have to see it — I probably would buy it sight unseen in a couple of .pdfs, but I'm a .pdf junkie, so...:)

Best,
tKL

s/LaSH

First Post
Because I'm poor and miserly, I probably won't buy it, but if I get money in the near future it could go on my list. If that were the case I'd have voted hardcover, because I'd put it on my reference shelf.

mistergone

First Post
I wouldn't buy it because I'm sick of Hell. I don't really use a lot of demons or devils or whatever in my games so I certainly wouldn't want to play in a game that was all about that. I'm not big on games based on politics either, unless the political aspect is just one part of the game, otherwise, politcal intrigue is not at all intriguing to me. Lastly, I as I have gotten older, I am more and more finding ANYTHING based on Hell or demons to be kind of juvenile. It's too "teehee I'm Evil!" for me. The product sounds only loosely based on the original works of Dante and that wouldn't be a draw for me either, as those were some dry boring reads I could never get through.

So, my vote would have been "No, I'm just not interested." Congrats on putting up yet another poll with skewed and limited options.

Mercule

Adventurer
I'm just not interested in a Dante version of the infernal realms in D&D. Not really interested in playing in it period, in truth. As someone else said, I'm sick to death of Hell.

Nothing against Dante, just not interested.

shilsen

Adventurer
I like Dante but wouldn't buy it. I buy very few gaming products & none that I may not use, and my group would very likely not be interested. So I can't vote, since none of the options match my position.

lord irial

First Post
The fact that is covers only a third of Dante's work (Il Inferno) makes me less apt to buy it. Perhaps if you covered Heaven and Purgatory as well...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads