• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you ever watch other people play RPGs, as entertainment?

Daniel Grota

First Post
I watch a lot of Let's Play for video games and I can see something similar for roleplaying games as well. But like a video game Let's Play, the people must be entertaining and the pacing top notch. Looking up rules, for example, would bog things down and would be a waste of time for everyone involved. Because of the length, it might not be live like many Let's Plays, instead it could be edited down to pace things along nicely and keep people entertained. It's a lot of work I'd imagine, but I can see it working out.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I've watched games and been entertained, but I've usually watched to get an idea of how the game is played and happened to be entertained on the way. But watching people game for my entertainment in general? No.

Tallifer

Hero
I would have gladly watched a tabletop roleplaying game on television a few years ago. I come from the countryside where no one plays, and now I work in Korea where almost no one plays. I was desperate.
However now Google+ has made roleplaying easier than ever before. There are more games happening than I can ever have time. Playing is a thousand times better than watching.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Absolutely, especially if every player is properly miked.

MAN that cheeses me... when I try and watch people game on Twitch TV and all I hear is room echo and muffled laughter.

With the addition of computer graphics, why not run a campaign series on television? Have someone monitoring chats/tweets, have "behind the scenes" character clips... do it like a reality show "live", or a cartoon/live action crossover, or even a dramatic WB-style teen romantic drama? I'd be all for this.

Stormonu

Legend
I don't even watch sports, let alone would I watch someone's game.

Though, I do admit I watched "Dorkness Rising", but only because it mostly took place in the game world (and even then, I don't think I'd rewatch it).

am181d

Adventurer
Obviously Wizards has already done this (to a limited extent) with the Acquisitions Incorporated games and a handful of other celebrity games. If I can synthesize what everyone else is saying:

If it was done really well, it'd be good. If it stank, it would not be good.

Clearly (1) entertaining participants, (2) great production values, and (3) good editing would be key. You'd need to find the sweet spot on episode length. Maybe edited down to half-an-hour? Format-wise, I could see either a series of one-offs or an extended campaign working, but only if -- again -- it doesn't stink.

Remove ads