D&D 5E Would you of preferred this Proficiency Bonus instead of what we got?

Weiley31

Legend
They do have a variant prof score system where you get the Proficiency Die to roll, but I think IIRC would make things a bit too swingy. Not too sure how swingy as I always liked the current math as if without any issues. Rolling a 1 on a Performance check, when your Shakespeare, does suck but dem's the dice for ya.

Argyle King

Legend
The current Proficiency Bonus is 2-6, and coupled with Expertise is 4-12.

However, I am not a fan of the math, so I was thinking, would you folks prefer a 1-5 Proficiency Bonus, leaving Expertise to be a 2-10 bonus? And for a half bonus we could Proficiency Bonus divided by 2 rounded up, so it would still be 1-3?

Thoughts?

I'd prefer Proficiency Dice instead of a flat bonus.

But I'm open to the smaller range you've presented.

Stalker0

Legend
Frankly I think +2 is too low in most cases. The idea that someone specifically trained in something versus a regular person who just has natural talent in "only" 10% is a bit off to me.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I think the Proficiency Bonus goes to 6 (12 for Expertise) specifically so skill can slightly outweigh ability.

At level 1 having a +3 to Strength and a +2 proficiency bonus means you're relying on brute strength to slam your target with a maul... But once you gain some levels, your skill with the maul exceeds your strength for how much it means to the attack.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
As we all give our personal views...personally, I think 5e is too skewed to ability, and not enough to skill. I would like to see skill be more important, and a little more differentiation then now.

But, we can see why it will not change, because we will never agree on how it should change!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Maybe it is some OCD I have,
It’s not.

Everyone experiences compulsions. Obsessive compulsive disorder is a serious anxiety disorder that makes a person irrationally afraid that bad things will happen if they don’t follow their compulsions. So unless you’re worried your family is going to die if the result of your ability check isn’t a multiple of 5, it’s not OCD and you should probably not use the term so flippantly.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The current Proficiency Bonus is 2-6, and coupled with Expertise is 4-12.

However, I am not a fan of the math, so I was thinking, would you folks prefer a 1-5 Proficiency Bonus, leaving Expertise to be a 2-10 bonus? And for a half bonus we could Proficiency Bonus divided by 2 rounded up, so it would still be 1-3?

Thoughts?
No. It's already too bounded. I would have preferred 2-10, with expertise being 4-20. Or if 20 is too high, change expertise to something other than double.

Remove ads