D&D 5E Would You Play This?

Zardnaar

Legend
Why not both? Give it a kind of Marvel Asgardian vibe with magic as super advanced technology and replace the “world ship” with “magic” wormholes connecting the different worlds.

The Norse thing is Midgard and several in the group like that setting and mechanics/races.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Thus is an idea I've been kicking around a very long time since the 90s. Along with my stone age idea.

Basically a magitech setting. Probably mine the Eberron book. Curated races list Probably PHB+ Warforged. Warforged are possibly reflected to be cyborgs or appear like them anyway. Maybe other Eberron raced.
Responding as I go: Sounds good thus far. True magitek--machine-oriented science fantasy, rather than science fiction that happens to have woo-woo stuff in it--is pretty rare, so I'm already on board.

New background available. Pilot. Proficient in aerial vehicles. Tie everything together a'la BG3.
I would need to think on it before using it, but I could see some stuff. In a sense, I have a character that might already fit the mold, if some liberties are permitted with what "pilot" means.

The world is based off Phantasy Star III video game a JRPG from the early 90s (PS4 was better but I'm talking about the world). It's a giant spaceship/worldship.

There's 7 worlds basically a hexagon and a central hub. Desert world, cold world, water world, mountain, 3 normal and the central hub.
I'm unfamiliar with the Phantasy Star games, so I'd need to go look it up, but nothing wrong with the premise from the outset.

Advanced tech from the DMG would be available. Lost technology for the most part but you might be able to buy it later in exotic locations.

Flying machines and submarines would be available. Travel between worlds is via tunnels or telephone circles between specific points. You can't teleport normally between worlds. Each world is a sealed dome.

Tunnels between worlds have a Barrier Peak type vibe.
Could be interesting. Where does the "pilot" angle come in? If you can't teleport between worlds because they're sealed domes, how do you fly between them? Or is the "pilot" angle something separate, e.g. more like an ace fighter pilot?

I would probably have a backstory to the game.

1000 years ago big war, the world's gave been sealed.

The tech is more magi tech. Transforming submarines, magical flying cities things like that.

Probably default grittinesd. Maybe lighter side not after Darksun or Ravenloft grittiness.

Exploration part would be accessing the new worlds. Each world is probably fairly small.
Sounds like a magitech post-post-apocalyptic sort of thing. Society ended a long time ago, but the people survived, and now they're clawing their way out of the hidey-holes they survived in. If that's the case, you might consider checking out the video game Age of Wonders: Planetfall. It actually has a pretty solid take on a "rebuilding society After The End" story, both recognizing the faults that led to the downfall of the old order, and that the new folks can be just as flawed (but can also have achieved new greatness because they were forced to adapt and improve, instead of the stagnation of the old order.) You'll be zero percent surprised to know that I'm very partial to the Oathbound, because they manage to combine like a full 2/3 of my preferences in one single place. (The only way they could be better is if they had dragons and were more diplomacy-focused; sadly, they do not and are not, and the closest equivalent are the implicitly evil, destructive Shakarn, who are more "propaganda and manipulation" than "diplomacy.")

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Responding as I go: Sounds good thus far. True magitek--machine-oriented science fantasy, rather than science fiction that happens to have woo-woo stuff in it--is pretty rare, so I'm already on board.

I would need to think on it before using it, but I could see some stuff. In a sense, I have a character that might already fit the mold, if some liberties are permitted with what "pilot" means.

I'm unfamiliar with the Phantasy Star games, so I'd need to go look it up, but nothing wrong with the premise from the outset.

Could be interesting. Where does the "pilot" angle come in? If you can't teleport between worlds because they're sealed domes, how do you fly between them? Or is the "pilot" angle something separate, e.g. more like an ace fighter pilot?

Sounds like a magitech post-post-apocalyptic sort of thing. Society ended a long time ago, but the people survived, and now they're clawing their way out of the hidey-holes they survived in. If that's the case, you might consider checking out the video game Age of Wonders: Planetfall. It actually has a pretty solid take on a "rebuilding society After The End" story, both recognizing the faults that led to the downfall of the old order, and that the new folks can be just as flawed (but can also have achieved new greatness because they were forced to adapt and improve, instead of the stagnation of the old order.) You'll be zero percent surprised to know that I'm very partial to the Oathbound, because they manage to combine like a full 2/3 of my preferences in one single place. (The only way they could be better is if they had dragons and were more diplomacy-focused; sadly, they do not and are not, and the closest equivalent are the implicitly evil, destructive Shakarn, who are more "propaganda and manipulation" than "diplomacy.")

Pilot skill would be for planes, submarines and space ships (you can fly to the moon).

To get between worlds unlocked teleportation at specific areas (you have to unlock). Or walk through specific dungeons.

Flying is mostly within each dome. There's old air fields around.

In the game you can turn one of the NPCs into a flying craft or submarine once you find the parts allowing transformation.

Spaceships 1:12 mark.

Stormonu

Legend
Instead of a Pilot skill, for 5E wouldn't it be a "tool" proficiency, like Vehicle (Submersible), Vehicle (Air) or Vehicle (Space) or possible Vehicle (Aerospace) ?

Remove ads