• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Would You Rather Have a LE or CN party member?

gyor

Legend
I like the idea of linking alignment to specific character traits, but it should not define every trait one has, people are too complex to be completely pigeon holed that way and often have at least a few contradictory beliefs.

Tyrfingr

Villager
2ff64o.jpg

I don't play to an alignment. Ever.

Although, having said that, LE everytime over a CN character.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I don't mind either a CN or a LE in the party, though having both at once likely means that before long you'll only have one of them.

For my part, hardline LG is by far the worst to have in the party; but then I tend chaotic as a player and not always the goodliest. :) One of my semi-active characters really is batcrap crazy CE, to the point that most of the other characters won't adventure with her...but that's fine; she often prefers to operate alone and while two or three of the other characters might be worth saving she thinks most of them are more or less inferior lifeforms anyway.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Meh. I would say CN makes no difference. And to assume that all people playing CN are jerks is incredibly biased.

I've never said that, please do not put words in my mouth. That's faulty logic. A comb has teeth, I have teeth, therefore I'm a comb?

Oofta

Legend
I've never said that, please do not put words in my mouth. That's faulty logic. A comb has teeth, I have teeth, therefore I'm a comb?

You are right, I apologize. However, most people who would not want to play with CN people are really saying they don't want to play with jerks.

Jerk players may be slightly more likely to play CN, but in my experience the alignment listed on the character sheet does not change the behavior of the individual.

Oofta

Legend
Apparently, especially if they played CN in an older edition.

True, the 2E description was just ... dumb.

But I'd probably still take that over a guy who enjoys murdering innocents, torturing people and forcing themselves on women because they're actually playing their character as evil. Maybe no one else ever played with that guy that was just into playing evil characters so they could act out twisted dark fantasies. It can be ... repellent? Icky? Gross? Not something I want to spend my leisure time being part of.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
But I'd probably still take that over a guy who enjoys murdering innocents, torturing people and forcing themselves on women because they're actually playing their character as evil. Maybe no one else ever played with that guy that was just into playing evil characters so they could act out twisted dark fantasies. It can be ... repellent? Icky? Gross? Not something I want to spend my leisure time being part of.

Boring evil and gross evil make awful PCs.

Evil characters can be really compelling, otherwise shows like Breaking Bad wouldn't have been nearly so successful.

Remove ads