D&D 4E Would you still play 4e?

Siberys

Adventurer
I've subbed for DDI since it was available, but only for the compendium and the articles; I have never used any of the other digital tools. While I can't see into the future, it looks like 4e is going to remain my system of choice going forward.

My plan currently is to design my own compendium/index, taking into account house rules. I'm actually going to post a thread asking for some help with some of that (namely, what options are obsolete, and what can be collapsed together). Should be fun, though I do seem to have a different idea of fun than most people - I love building databases! :p

Lalato

Adventurer
I will play whatever my DM runs. I even played in a campaign where the DM (different than my current DM) homebrewed a hybrid of 4e and Pathfinder. It was an ungodly broken mess, but we still had fun.

So, yes, I'll play with the CB and Compendium. I have a Mac, so going with the offline CB isn't an option anyway.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I have no issues continuing without the tools. It will be harder, but not impossible. As others have said, the offline tools still exist and are still being updated by haxx0rz, and I will be happy to use what is available. I also keep my own campaign website with houserules posted.

I don't much care for the way 5th is shaping up so far. If for whatever reason playing and running houseruled 4e becomes impossible, and 5e continues down its lame 3.x-based path, I will likely switch to other games entirely; Shdowrun, CoC, etc.

S

Sunseeker

I would, yes, but it would be much, much more difficult.

I honestly don't know why they'd do this, expanding the benefits of the DDI membership would be a great draw to bring in recurring money from new and old(4e) players. I really would love it if they created similar tools for even older content to! Once it works it's pretty good.

I play 3rd without any digital tools, so I certainly could do the same with 4th, but it would certainly be much more difficult.

My attitude has always been thus: If the product manufacturer doesn't want to sell me their product, there are other ways to get it.

Kinneus

Explorer
Searching through all 500 pages or errata so I can update whatever power/monster/item I plan on using? No thanks. Without DDi, I would personally find 4e unplayable.

Hope they don't switch it off, though (at least keep it in a "frozen" state), because I'm actually a pretty big fan of 4e. Haven't even had a chance to DM my own Darksun campaign yet!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'll play almost any tabletop RPG out there, and for me, computer gadgetry is- and will remain- a play aid, not a requirement.*

So, since I have the books, 4Ed will remain a viable game for me. It might not, however, remain viable for my group, since the one guy who runs 4Ed relies on his DDI account for the most part.

* WotC already cheesed me off by making some classes DDI only- such as the Starpact Hexblade (something I'd play in a heartbeat)- so if 5Ed continues & expands that trend, I'll be spending less on it. That's a sign that they don't need me as a customer.

Last edited:

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
No. I'm spoiled. The Character Builder is too convenient, and the thought of building and maintaining a character by hand is not something I am interested in.

I honestly don't know why they'd do this, expanding the benefits of the DDI membership would be a great draw to bring in recurring money from new and old(4e) players. I really would love it if they created similar tools for even older content to! Once it works it's pretty good.

Just because a product brings in money doesn't mean that the product is worthwhile for the company if those resources could be better utilized on a different product.

S

Sunseeker

Just because a product brings in money doesn't mean that the product is worthwhile for the company if those resources could be better utilized on a different product.

Well yes, but I suspect that the DDI content is pretty well utilized, at least among 4e players. I mean I just started a 4e game last night and one of the players said he darn near signed up for DDI on the spot just to save him time!

And generally speaking, internet resources can't just be moved over to something else, we're talking about hardware and software that WOTC has already invested in, it can't just be erased and turned into fresh resources.

Arlough

Explorer
I play 3rd without any digital tools, so I certainly could do the same with 4th, but it would certainly be much more difficult.

This is the exact opposite of my experience. But then again, when I played 3.X we had access to all the splat. In our 4e games, we have restricted sources, which is much, much lighter of a load.

If I was to go back to 3.x/Pathfinder, I would probably just get HeroForge (or something similar) simply because I'd hate slogging through all that stuff again.

S

Sunseeker

This is the exact opposite of my experience. But then again, when I played 3.X we had access to all the splat. In our 4e games, we have restricted sources, which is much, much lighter of a load.

If I was to go back to 3.x/Pathfinder, I would probably just get HeroForge (or something similar) simply because I'd hate slogging through all that stuff again.

Yeah, my group has a good majority of the 3e splat, at least the WOTC stuff. I don't have nearly as much 4e stuff.

Remove ads