D&D 4E Would you still play 4e?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm reminded of how dependent I am on calculators to do things that my Dad used a slide-rule for...and even some things I used to be able to do in my head as a younger man...

This keeps me from mocking others' concerns about the prospects of running 4Ed games (possibly without the DDI) post-5th's release.

wedgeski

Adventurer
All else being equal, I'm not thinking about changing to 5E from what I've seen in these early play-tests. 4E is just too good.

Losing DDI would be a big black mark against my continued support, though. It's just gotten too good, too convenient. Like everyone else, I have limited prep time, and taking away my digital tools would mean the quality of my game would suffer (I'd likely have to switch exclusively back to pre-generated material whereas now I can just about run a home-brew with the time I have).

The only business case I can think of for hitting the OFF button on 4E subscription income is the damage "4E" might have on the next edition's brand, especially if they decide to just call it "D&D". Maintaining the database and the application servers is a real cost likely in region of thousands of dollars per month, but it wouldn't take many subscribers to offset that and I would imagine at least some of the fixed costs could be shared with the 5E digital offering when it arrives as well.

I suppose you'd also run the risk of ticking off those 5E fans who, if the DDI subscription also included access to the 4E tools, would start to complain (loudly) about the fact that they're "subsidising" an obsolete edition, and why isn't there a lower subscription for those who don't want 4E? Petty, yes, but as a community we've shown we can be very petty indeed.

Still, this problem is, what, 18 months away?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I suppose you'd also run the risk of ticking off those 5E fans who, if the DDI subscription also included access to the 4E tools, would start to complain (loudly) about the fact that they're "subsidising" an obsolete edition, and why isn't there a lower subscription for those who don't want 4E? Petty, yes, but as a community we've shown we can be very petty indeed.

My Mom complains about havimg to subsidize all the Spanish, shopping and Religious cable channels she gets; why should we be any different?

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
(snip)
I suppose you'd also run the risk of ticking off those 5E fans who, if the DDI subscription also included access to the 4E tools, would start to complain (loudly) about the fact that they're "subsidising" an obsolete edition, and why isn't there a lower subscription for those who don't want 4E? Petty, yes, but as a community we've shown we can be very petty indeed. (snip)

I hadn't thought of that.

I always assumed a corporate-type would insist that 4E support be switched off but, I think you're right, it will be the whingeing, bitching and moaning of fellow fans. It is pretty horrible when you think how petty we have collectively become.

(snip) Still, this problem is, what, 18 months away?

I think we have about a year after 5E's release. Added to the development time that will see at least four of the half-yearly scheduled lay-offs take place ensuring that, after 12 months or so from release, there is nobody left who remembers promising (?)/stating (?) that support for the 4E tools would continue.

Anyway, by then I am sure there will be replacement offline tools available.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't have DDI so I'm curious what it has that makes DM prep so much easier?

My guess is that it puts all of your options- in their most recent evised forms- in front of you in mere seconds. Looking for a feat for your Dragonborn fighter without the DDI? There's a stack of hardcover books, the Essentuals books, a Dragonborn-specific softcover and goodness knows what else, all unrevised.

Or you can look in the DDI's CB and have access to all of that data + Dragon mag material- all current- with a click of your mouse.

And then there's other similarly fast tools.

It's powerful, there is no denying it. I just think it's too expensive in the long run.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Loss of the Compendium for a full list of magic items would be a major setback. I use published adventures and have noticed a trend to include random monster tables (which I like), but not to include stat blocks (somewhat understandable), which I also use the Compandium to copy/paste quickly. So I'd lose material that isn't complete with stat blocks. But the largest blow will be a diminishment in an already lacking pool of good published adventures. So the likelihood of continuing 4E for me is low.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
I don't have DDI so I'm curious what it has that makes DM prep so much easier?

I can search the Compemdium quickly for monster and magic items and then copy/paste them into Word, quick cleanup and done.

But for me it's not just the ease of searching there over my books. I don't own most of the books. I own the core three, AV1, and MV: Threats to the Nentir Vale. Without DDi I don't own the majority of 4E material.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases