D&D General Would You Take This Deal?

Zardnaar

Legend
DM offers you a blade. Any physical attacks you make with a weapon deal double damage.

Your current maximum and current hit points are reduced by 75%.

Deal or no deal? I'm playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey on Nightmare difficulty with a combo that gives me 350% damage but I can't use any abilities and -75% health.

Thought about same deal in D&D.

MattW

Explorer
Not acceptable as written. BUT how about this for a modification?

The blade is intended as a "last ditch" weapon. It is powered by the user's life energy and the drop in hit points is a temporary problem. If you want the double damage then you have to pay 75% of your current hit points. "Squishy" magic users might consider this a reasonable deal if they're in a desperate fight and likely to die in the near future.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well I got the idea from this.

IMG_20210127_220350.jpg

She use the blade in game.

Might come up with something similar but tone it down and have a way to offset it.

Managed to break the blade in game.

And more Cassandra.

IMG_20210127_215305.jpg

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'd do it. Sounds like fun. Sure, I'd probably die after a few combats, but they would be fun, tense combats. Then you make something else, just like every other D&D game ever.

DM offers you a blade. Any physical attacks you make with a weapon deal double damage.

Your current maximum and current hit points are reduced by 75%.

Deal or no deal? I'm playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey on Nightmare difficulty with a combo that gives me 350% damage but I can't use any abilities and -75% health.

Thought about same deal in D&D.
No.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm amused. The "do double damage, have quarter HPs" is a resounding NO here. But in the thread about the Gothic UA Races, there are people planning characters around monk + Dhampir's bite.

The bite has a few Empowerment uses per day, but the repeatable part is that if you are under half HPs, you have advantage on the attack. So they're going for "increased chance to hit, have less than half HPs" without blinking an eye.

Now, the difference is it isn't permanently at reduced HPs, just an extra boost when you get low. But really, it's a lot of hoops to jump through with their own costs unless you plan to spend a lot of time at less than half.

So this deal isn't as obviously "no" when not as baldly "you will be low on HPs all the time".

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Wasn't there a class or race or magic item which allowed you to pop back up to 1 hit point if you hit 0 hit points with some limitations? I think that could pair OK with this one.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
There's plenty of ways to boost hp and to not die at 0 hp. It would greatly depend on my class and build.

High level zealot barbarian would be insane.
Any full caster with aid or armor of agathys would work well. (aid may depend on exact ruling).
Having the Conga line of Necromancer Wizard animated dead skeletons pick up and use the bow one after the other would be hilarious.

Also, how would this work if you drop it at the end of your turn?

Remove ads