Wow, do I hate rolling for stats!

Orius

Legend
I just started up a 3.5 PbP game here, and gave everyone the choice of 4d6 or Point Buy with 25 points.

Everyone chose to roll. And there's some good characters, and some rolls that aren't quite so good. But then again, as the DM it's my job to provide encounters balance things and so on. So it's my responsibility to try to ensure the characters with the lower stats aren't too disadvantaged. And I think it makes less difference with a human DM, because he can fudge rolls or at least pull punches when he sees the party is at a disadvantage. If it's a video game or somethng, then point buy tends to be better, since the computer can't fudge.

Just for fun, let's see what I roll up here:

Camelot

Adventurer
When I first started gaming, I would never have told my players to roll their stats. Now I'm starting to like the idea more and more, because of the roleplaying opportunities and general randomness. I like the way it is done in Gamma World: you have an 18 in your primary score and a 16 in your secondary score, but the other four are rolled (you could also have a 20 in your primary score and the other five are rolled). This way, you are perfectly functional, but you also have room to roleplay those other scores and get interesting character concepts from it.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I joined a new Gamma World campaign last week. Based on your background, you get one stat at 18 or 20 (I think). You roll 3d6 in order for the rest of your stats.

I rolled an 18 in Charisma. :confused:

Remove ads