Wraith's Whispers - CoSQ (Update: 4/5/04)

Wraithdrit

First Post
Its tough, but with a little imagination, some thought, and enough dangling plot hooks and backgrounds you can easily incorporate new PCs into a campaign. The main thing I do is make sure that I set up a background for each PC no matter what, and tie that background into the game somehow.

I like Ring Gates, but the thought of carrying around an 18inch metal ring that might have something come out of it at any time is a bit... well, just not comfortable to me. So I came up with this as an alternative.

An old DM of mine had something similar to ring gates in his game, only they were the size of a bracelet. The intent was for messages, but other things could also be placed in them.

If you wanted just a message service, you could make it a scroll case. Anyways, I'm rambling. Off to write up the next update.

Wraithdrit

First Post
Underdark
Outskirts of Maerimydra
Uktar 7th, 1372, A few hours into the day’s travels…

They knew they were getting closer to Maerimydra. They had passed several wrecked and burned farms. Huge expanses of caverns had mushroom fields ravaged by mass harvesting. The few buildings this far out, mostly farm buildings, were destroyed, smashed in by some powerful force, probably giant boulders. Scorch marks marred most surfaces, and bodies littered the path. Most of the bodies were goblin, though a few were drow. All of the bodies were horribly disfigured, having suffered wounds that would make them mostly useless for raising as undead. At times there were even stacks of body parts, with no real identifiable number of dead goblins.

Delorian appeared amongst the group and spoke out softly. “There is a large patrol ahead, moving this way. A dozen goblins, half as many ogres, a cloaked figure with a small fiend on its shoulder, a pair of orc bodyguards, a fire giant, and something that looked like a red skinned troll.”

The group quickly put together an ambush plan and set it in motion. Will leapt from the ground, under the effects of flight, and looked to the others. Through the spell of telepathic bonding he asked if Taran and his mount were ready.

Taran reached down and patted the flank of the mighty lion that he sat upon. He looked up to Will and nodded. Will looked down at the huge lion, recalling the first time he saw it a couple of days earlier.

They had just teleported back to the Underdark. It was obvious that Lord Taran’s full plate armor was going to slow them down. It was foolish to expect him to give up his armor for their speed, so alternate methods of speeding him up were discussed before Lord Taran stated he could just ‘summon his friend Gundra’. Will had instantly assumed that Gundra would be the paladin’s mount. Most paladins he had ever heard of shared a special bound with a mystical horse of some stature and build. But what real use was a horse going to be here in the Underdark? Sure they are fairly surefooted, but not enough to clamber around in these caverns.

That was when Taran had gotten a far off look and whispered, “Gundra, I need your aid again my friend.” A soft glow had appeared before the paladin and the largest lion Will had ever seen had sprung from it. The lion’s coat seemed to be made from pur silken gold. From head to rump the thing had to be near fifteen feet long. It had a massive war saddle strapped to its back, and a special bridle that would slip over its head and allow it to still be able to talk. It had landed surely on the rocks and puffed up. Pulling its head back, it sucked in the moist cave air and seemed about to roar out when its eyes glanced to and fro. In a dire lion’s version of a whisper it growled, “Perhaps this is not the best place to roar.” With that it had bounded at Taran, knocking him to the ground and licking at his face with its massive tongue, easily pinning the large armor clad warrior to the cave floor.

Taran had laughed and pushed futilely at the paw, trying to free himself, “I’m happy to see you too my old friend. Its time for us to quest once again.”

Gundra let Taran up and bumped into the man’s chest with the top of his head, then slid its head lengthwise along the paladin’s protesting arms and chest. The massive celestial beast purred, “Then questing we shall go, my friend.” The lion sat with a mighty *fwump* and nodded back at the saddle. “Your lance awaits your grasp, m’lord.” As indicated, a long banner tipped lance was set into the saddle, awaiting Taran exactly as he had left it over a hundred and fifty years ago.

Now it was time to see just how dangerous Taran, Gundra, and even the archer YaDichi were in combat. Will floated down enough that Taran could touch his leg. Gundra also reached up with his head and nudged against Will’s foot. The mage cast a spell and in a flash the trio was in the middle of the giant led goblin patrol. The cloaked figure with the imp was right in front of them.

Before anyone could react, Gundra lashed out at the cloaked figure with his massive claws. The cloak shredded and tore away and the claws ripped into the flesh of the creature hidden beneath it. As the cloak tatters fell away, a beautiful, nearly naked female form was revealed beneath. If it were not for the fangs, glowing red eyes, and feathery wings sprouting from her back, the creature might be desirous. The horns that tipped her head and other minor features had Will stunned for a moment, this was no planetouched tiefling, but a true fiend, a Baatezu known as an Erinyes!

As if the celestial dire lion’s claws were not enough to get the fiend’s attention, Taran attacked right after his mount. He lifted his holy avenger high and cried out to Nabanion as he sliced downward with the holy blade. The blades normal glow seemed to grow even more intense as the paladin called on the energy of his god. The blade slammed deep into the fiend’s shoulder, nearly to where her heart should be.

Back down the corridor, just around the bend, YaDichi fingered the ring on her right hand, triggering a spell stored within.

The various members of the patrol started to try and counter the swift attack, but before they could even raise their weapons, Will was casting again.

He held his hands up and called down a massive series of fiery explosions. The fire brands blasted all around the patrol, flinging ogres and goblins around like rag-dolls. The fiend was unaffected, as was the fire giant, but the troll, and the fiend’s twin guards screamed in pain. The imp was incinerated with a tiny fiendish scream. When the flames cleared, of the goblins and ogres, only four goblins remained standing.

Gundra lashed out at the Erinyes again. This time he reared up a little and slashed with both his sets of claws, trying to push the fiend to the ground. Lastly he lunged forward, and with a mighty growl bit the head from the Erinyes’ body. The fiend’s form fizzled and disappeared in a foul smelling smoke, its ‘death’ having forced it back to its home plane.

Taran turned in the saddle to the fire giant, standing next to him. The giant was getting its bearings still, and Taran quickly lashed out. The entire group had a spell of haste cast upon them before they ambushed the patrol. As a result Taran’s blade bit into the giant’s flesh three of the four times he found opening in the giants defenses. Even as he fought, the paladin kept an eye on the two strange fiendish looking orcs in front of Gundra. Will had heard Delorian’s description of them and had called them Tanarukk, some sort of fiend blooded orc.

The two both lashed out at Gundra multiple times. They lashed out with their axes as well as with spiked shields on their off hands. Taran pushed with his knees to one side, and Gundra recognized the signal and twisted that direction. An axe swipe that would have surely sliced into the lion’s leg fell only open air because of the maneuver. The second Tanarukk did managed to connect once with his axe, but its nonmagical blade barely sliced into Gundra’s tough celestial hide.

Yadichi moved forward a bit more, finally seeing her intended targets. One of the tanarukks was behind the giant. YaDichi dropped three magical arrows onto her bow, pulled back the string and lifted the bow. Her eyes focused down the middle shaft, and the spell she had just triggered from the ring guided her arms and her sight. She let fly, and the bowstring propelled the three arrows forward at an intense speed. All three arrows punched through the giants midsection, passed through into the tanarukk’s head, then continued through to smash against the wall behind the tanarukk. Both creatures crumpled to the ground, dead.

Besides the second bodyguard and a few goblins the only thing left standing was the red skinned troll. Will could see that it had a fiery gaze in its eyes. Between that and the spines that jutted from its joints, the mage assumed it was some sort of planetouched troll. His firebrand had hurt it, but not nearly as much as it should. What was worse, he could see the burns he had inflicted already crusting over and flaking away. This troll could regenerate damage from fire! The beast turned away from them all, and seemed to gather energy from within itself. Will’s arcane sight recognizes the energies that surrounded it. It was hasting itself. The thing could not only regenerate fire damage, but it had innate spellcasting abilities! He was suddenly glad that there was only one of them.

The troll-thing spun and bounded down the passage toward Maerimydra, churning up the ground with massive hasted strides. Will smiled and used the telepathic bond. “Coming your way Delorian.”

“Already on it,” Delorian chimed back as he appeared ahead of the troll in mid leap. His foot slammed into the troll’s head. Between its forward momentum and his kick, the troll had no chance to keep its footing. It sprawled out on the ground, laid flat easily despite its massive size advantage over the monk.

As Delorian came down he twisted and landed with both knees slamming into the troll. He was really starting to like that move. Bone cracked beneath his knees and quickly rolled back of the troll, not wanting to get easily snatched up by it.

Meanwhile Will spun on the last bodyguard, muttering a quick few syllables of magic incantations. Small globes of energy appeared beside him and spiraled into the tanarukk, blasting it off its feet and removing large vital chunks of its chest. It was dead before it even hit the ground.

Gundra leapt forward as Taran leveled his sword and pointed at the back of the troll at the edge of his drakvision. He was glad for the magic rings that the Mystrans had provided him and YaDichi, allowing them to both see in the darkness of the Underdark. Gundra loped over the jagged cavern floor, easily closing the distance. In the end it was not really necessary.

Delorian was light on his feet, and waiting for the troll to try and get up. When it got halfway to its feet, he stepped up with a quick roundhouse kick. He followed that with a backhand from his left hand and a hook from his right hand, then continued to spin and connected with a second roundhouse kick. The troll’s head whipped back and forth, its nose breaking with a nasty crunch, finally its neck snapped under the continued pressure and it fell to the ground, dead.

Well. Mostly dead. Delorian could see that it was already starting to heal its wounds.

YaDichi moved toward the group, followed by Varick. YaDichi’s bow was still going. She quickly two goblins as she stalked forward, looking for the rest of them.

The two goblins left standing threw their weapons down and dropped to their knees with their hands up. In common one screamed, “Don’t kill us! Don’t kill us!”

The other one whimpered, “I soiled myself.”

Will frowned and flew to the troll body. He quickly launched a blast of his scorching rays into the creature, but when even that did not end the regeneration he growled out loud. “Fire doesn’t kill it…”

Taran dropped from the saddle and nodded toward the goblins. Gundra bounded over and stood over them growling deeply. One of the two fainted, the other just whimpered and covered its head, waiting to be eaten.

Taran turned back toward the troll. “Perhaps we could slice it up and send it through the bag?” He stabbed his avenger through the things head in an attempt to slow its regeneration. When the holy blade contacted the foul flesh it sizzled and burned away and did not regenerate back. “Or perhaps not.” He quickly laid the creature to rest with a few cuts of his holy blade.

Will floated down in front of the goblin, beside Gundra. The giant cat sat back on its haunches and began cleaning his claws. Will looked at Gundra a moment, one eyebrow cocked. Each claw was the size of his largest dagger. He tried to focus on the task at hand. Turning the goblin he thrust a finger at it, “Tell me what you know before I blast you on the spot.” Gundra looked at the mage and seemed to :):):):) an eyebrow.

“I tell you anything! Just don’t let it eat me!”

The other goblin began to come to. At least now it was moaning instead of just laying in its own puddle.

“Tell us what happened in the city.”

“We smashed it. Bash, bash… black elves no more. Mostly.”

“Mostly?”

“There still the squishy bits in the center of the city, and the ones that don’t stay dead.”

“Won’t stay dead?”

The goblin thrust up his arms like a zombie and rolled its head to one side and rolled its eyes into the back of its head, “Yeah, you know… uhhhhh, brains.”

Will tried not to smile. “Who leads your army?”

The goblin got wide eyes and lowered its arms, “Kurgoth do.”

“And what or who is Kurgoth?”

The goblin shoved a finger at the dead fire giant corpse. “Like him. Only bigger. And has wings, and spikes, and fiery eyes. He Kurgoth. He smash elf city. He have fiend in him.”

Will nodded, “What do you know of the fiends?”

The goblin bit its lower lip then began prattling on about them too. “Kurgoth have many fiends with him. Some like her. Others bigger. Others nastier, much nastier. And the little ones. Lots of the little ones. They flitter all over the city, watching and spyings. They watches us and watch the black elf castle. Then they flit, flit, flit.” The goblin flapped its arm like little wings. “Or poof.” He spread his hands as if a little puff of smoke. “Poof. They gone. And poof they appears near Kurgoth, and whispers in his ear. Chitter, chitter, chitter, while he sits and pets his elephant.”

“Elephant?” Will blinked in surprise. “Whats the elephant look like?”

The goblin looked surprised this time, then shrugged. “Like an elephant? Its Kurgoth’s pet.”

Will nodded, “Who guards the north gate?”

The goblin hopped up and down, getting more and more excited. “Four of them!” He pointed at the giants.

Will frowned, “Four?”

The goblin nodded and held up his hand, showing one finger after another, “Yes, four. One, six, eight, four! Four giants. They have big thing they put in front of gate and watch from behind. Then when they need to get in and out they move the big thing. They watch from behind it, ready to smash anything that come near with their big rocks! Smash, smash!” The goblin fell back as if hit by a big boulder. His legs and arms went up in the air and he stuck his tongue out and closed his eyes as if dead. He whispered softly, “Smash…”

Will sighed, tiring of the goblin’s antics. “Alright, you and your friend. Get out of here, now. If I ever see you again, I’ll burn you on the spot before you even have time to say ‘oops’.”

The goblin went wide eyed again, “Oops?” He thought a moment then nodded quickly. “We go. No oops. Oops bad.” He grabbed and shook his moaning companion who woke up finally. “We go now. No oops.” He turned and started walking toward Maerimydra.

Will cleared his throat. The goblin looked back and Will was pointing the other direction.

The goblin smiled and chuckled nervously. “Oops.”

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
I just had to post to say that "that goblin update is probably your best ever".

Or is it evar? I lose track of things.

Also, "ratbag - you've overtaken me!"

Keep up the good work. Have you just had a whole bunch of new players, then?

Wraithdrit

First Post
Nope. Malaghym croaked, so he brought in YaDichi. Marcus' player felt useless (very few traps thus far, lots of undead = hard to sneak attack, etc). So he pink slipped Marcus and brought in Lord Taran noc Damar. Gundra is Taran's Celestial Dire Lion Special Mount Cohort (what a title, maybe C.D.L.S.M.C. for short?).

Thanks for the praise. The best is yet to come really. I think the modifications to the plot of CotSQ I've come up with are pretty decent, and its all I can do to bite my tongue and not blab about them all the time.

Oh, and Tursa should be back in the next update or two. :)

Wraithdrit

First Post
Underdark
Just outside the Maerimydra Northern Gate
Uktar 7th, 1372, ‘Mid-day’

Delorian pulled the shadows of the wall out and across him and was gone.

YaDichi leaned around the corner. Sure enough, just as Delorian had described, there was a large gated wall, some two hundred feet away. She could easily make out the silhouette of a pair of giants peeking around either side of the ruined gate. Large barricades had been laid in front of the openings. Fires behind the giants lit them from behind. YaDichi marveled that anyone could be so foolish as she lifted her bow up into position. In rapid succession she let fly a series of four arrows. Three found their mark, ripping straight through the left of the two giants.

The giant howled and spun away, its companion, equally surprised by the unusually powerful shots pulled back as well.

Above them, atop the wall, next to the ballista facing out toward the long corridor, Delorian stepped out of the shadows. Shadows followed him, cloaking him completely from sight.

Around the bend he could hear Gundra, with Taran aboard, bounding down the long massive corridor toward the gate. Though neither of them said anything, Delorian could easily hear the full-plate wearing paladin clanking along in the saddle.

Behind them all Varick cast a quick spell, a shimmering shield of energy rippling up and around him. Will, watching it all through an arcane eye, muttered a few arcane words. A sheer invisible wall of force appeared behind the giants, cutting off any escape.

Delorian grabbed a hold of the massive drow made ballista and started turning it around, trying to get it to face toward the giants. He pivoted it as far as he could then started to move the heavy wood frame to the side, trying to turn it even further.

The heroes knew that there were four giants behind the wall, Will’s arcane eye having seen the whole thing prior to their unleashing the attack.

Taran and Gundra bounded closer, the massive lion leaping to one side as a boulder smashed the ground where they had been moments before. All four giants were coming out of hiding. Two kneeled by the gate doors, while two stood on massive piles of rubble behind the wall, look over the wall.

One of the giants at the gate stood up, moving to grab the ballista. When he saw the angle it was at he got a bit confused and started to try and turn it back straight again. Delorian took the opportunity to let go of the ballista. Instead of hitting the giant with his fist, his hand went to his new belt, and the nunchaku stored there.

The new items, three in all, had come through the bag while they were finishing the trek to the gate. A belt of strength, an enchanted nunchaku, and an amulet of protection had all arrived for him, courtesy of Lady Firehands. Will had assured him that they were heavily enchanted, and not cursed, so Delorian had put his old monk’s belt, and amulet of mighty fists in the bag.

Delorian whipped the weapon out and spun it around to the side, clanging it off the giant’s head. But since Delorian was no longer holding onto the ballista, the giant, shrugging off the blow to its helmet, quickly spun the weapon, shoving Delorian easily to the side.

Taran lifted his shield, his divine faith in its protective power combined with the shields enchantment, easily knocking aside another massive rock one of the giants tossed at him. Another boulder flew past him, wide to one side.

YaDichi smiled as she saw the giant she had already peppered with arrows, fighting with Delorian for control of the ballista. She muttered to herself, “Like hitting the broadside of a barn.” Three more arrows ripped literally through the giant’s chest. With a huff the giant fell back from the wall, presumably dead.

Will, still watching through the eye, muttered a few more words of arcane power. Behind the gate, massive black tentacles ripped out of the ground and started trying to grab at the remaining giants. Two of them shrugged it off, but one was held fast by the writhing tentacles.

Delorian, giving up on moving the massive ballista, spun around and along the wall. His new nunchaku spun expertly through his hands, and around his body. He lashed out three different times at the closest giant, but between the creature’s thick hide and full plate armor, even the heavily enchanted nunchaku did not seem to have any effect.

Gundra stopped at the entrance to the gate. The massive lion put one paw up on the large barricade and lashed out with his other paw. Claws pierced the giant’s armor, and it howled in pain. Taran followed up Gundra’s attack with two of his own. One, particularly cruel strike from the holy avenger dug deep into the kneeling giants chest. Blood poured freely from the near deadly wound.

Varick, huffing and puffing all the way, ran toward the gate. He muttered something under his breath as he saw YaDichi nimbly bound past him.

The giant that Delorian had hit unsheathed his massive greatsword and slammed it into the monk. Luckily both Taran and Delorian still had the magical enchantment Will called ‘stoneskin’ from the ambush of the patrol. The giant’s sword swing still hurt, but it did not do near the damage it would have if Delorian had not been protected. At the same time, Taran’s protections were being similarly tested. The giant he and Gundra had attacked had also pulled free his sword and smashed it into the ancient holy warrior.

The last giant ripped free of the tentacles and drew his sword as well.

Will finally walked around the corner and down towards the fight. As he walked he cast a simple spell, small glowing balls of energy spiraling forward to slam into the wounded giant.

Delorian tried one more time to hit with his nunchaku, but still he could not get through the giant’s thick armor. The monk flipped back off the wall, backing up to try and get out of the reach of the massive sword. The giant followed him though. It leaned over the wall, and used its long reach and huge greatsword to swing out at the monk. Surprised as he was at the giants massive reach, Delorian was not able to duck the mighty swing. It cut through his stoneskin and spun him to one side. The giant pressed the attack, swinging back around. This time Delorian was ready and he easily dived over the incoming attack. The giant spun and brought the attack straight down, trying to slice the monk in half. Again Delorian was quicker. He rolled back and to the side, easily dodging the attack.

Taran and Gundra pressed their attack. While Gundra was not able to find purchase for his attacks, Taran stabbed forward into the giant’s arm. The giant howled in pain and slashed up into Taran’s own arm. Gundra and Taran were unfazed by the attack though. They pressed forward even more. Gundra ripped a chunk from the giant and Taran stabbed out at him three different times. His first attack pierced the giant’s arm. The second pierced its shoulder. Finally Taran stabbed in the middle of the giant’s chest, killing it.

To Taran’s horror, as the giant died the air around it seemed to shiver. The giant’s spirit seemed to take form around its body, and with a look of horror on the spirit’s face, it was drawn away into the massive cavern beyond, leaving only a small quickly fading trail of a glow. “Something is drawing in their spirits!” yelled the paladin.

YaDichi stopped, dropped to one knee and quickly let loose a series of four arrows. The first two ripped through one of the remaining giants.

Varick strode up, softly muttering a prayer. Divine power coursed through the cleric as he moved to prepare to engage the next available target.

Both of the remaining fire giants, jumped over the wall to escape the grasp of the tentacles. Varick and Taran both took advantage of the giant’s awkward landings to hit them with their respective weapons.

YaDichi continued to concentrate on the giant she had wounded. She fired four more arrows. The first one hit, then the second one hit. The third one ripped through the middle of the giant’s chest, and it shuddered, its spirit appearing around it then being ripped back into the city as the giant’s body crumbled dead to the ground. YaDichi quickly spun and put an arrow through the remaining giant.

Delorian leapt forward, his nunchaku spinning. He spun one of the wooden handles into the giant’s knee, this time it connected well, and the giant howled in pain. Before it could react, Delorian was back flipping back out of range of even its long reach.

Gundra and Taran both began ripping into the giant. The giant never had a chance. Varick moved up, slamming his morningstar into the giant as well. It fumbled with its sword, barely able to stand. It tried to hit Varick back, but missed over and over again.

Finally, a single arrow from YaDichi flew through the giant’s chest. Again they saw the giant’s spirit shudder and get drawn from its body, sucked back into the city. This time, Will was concentrating on his arcane eye. He could see the energy now, coursing all around them. The energy seemed to draw and push the spirit back into the city, heading back towards the center of the massive cavern beyond.

Will strode forward, to the edge of the rippling bubble of energy that seemed to surround the city. It undulated before him, obvious now that his arcane sight was looking for it. Even as he watched it seemed to pulse and grow several inches thicker. It almost seemed alive. Its presence seemed to have a very chilling effect on all of the heroes. Will described it to the others, then said, “I don’t like it at all.”

Varick nodded, “This is the disturbance of the weave. I can feel the evil flowing from it.”

Taran nodded, “As can I. It is a dark presence indeed.”

YaDichi jogged up, “We need to move quickly, before reinforcements arrive.”

“Agreed,” said Delorian as he joined the small huddle.

They passed through the gates, and could see that the ground sloped down in front of them into a massive cavern. The cavern was filled with smoke. Instead of hanging thick in the air though, the smoke slowly twirled this way and that. For a brief moment the smoke cleared and the sight took the heroes’ breath away.

Before them lay the remnants of a once beautiful drow city. Ancient well-shaped stone lay smashed in huge fields of rubble. Mushroom fields lay barren around the city, picked clean by the invaders. Large fires burned all around the city, massive campfires surrounded by humanoids and giants. Some buildings still stood, but many were nothing more than massive piles of broken stone. Long ago cast spells of fairy fire lit different piles of rubble, the enchantments holding even after the stone had fallen.

On the west side of the city atop a plateau with larger more intact buildings lay a smoking crater surrounded by a large spider shaped wall. Large glowing globes hung near its entrance.

On the far south side of the city ruins a huge circular coliseum stood, mostly untouched by the collapse of the city. Humanoids and giants could be seen moving in and out of the massive building.

It was the sight in the center of the city that dominated the landscape though. A single massive castle, built of two massive towers stretched all the way from the floor of a plateau to the top of the massive caverns. It glowed from mystic enchantments, and was surround by a ring of fires. It was a picket line, the invasion of Maerimydra was not ended. Someone, or something still held Castle Maerimydra from the giants attacks.

Will whistled softly, “That is something you don’t see every day.”

“We should find some place to hole up until we decide our next actions.” Delorian shifted and looked up to the plateaus on the west side, with their semi intact buildings. He continued, “If we pull back from the gates, they will only reinforce them even more next time.”

Taran patted Gundra on the head, “Time to return to your home my friend. Hide you amongst the rubble will be difficult at best.” The massive cat nodded, bumped its head into Taran and ran its huge cheek along his shoulder in a typical loving cat gesture, then vanished with a soft glow.

They discussed a bit further, and moved quickly towards the more expensive looking ruins atop the western plateau. It looked to have once been a noble district. Circumventing several small bivouacs, they soon found a good set of ruins to hole up inside. Between the ambush of the patrol and the fight at the gate, they could use some time to gather their wits, rest, and memorize their spells. They had a long hard task ahead of them, and time was not going to be on their side for long.

Outside the Undying Temple
Maerimydra
Uktar 7th, 1372, ‘Mid-day’

Mother stood gazing at the massive black glowing orb that hung in the middle of the twisted temple. Beside her stood one of her most trusted lieutenants, Khumarr. His demon armor gave him a fierce looking visage, and though his tone and stance was respectful of his companion, his air was one of confidence and almost amusement. A massive greatsword was strapped to his back. The High Priestess’ bodyguards stood back and to one side, behind even Khumarr.

They watched the orb spin and undulate. Khumarr spoke first, “How goes the research?”

His companion looked back and up at him. He was tall for a drow. “The secrets of Kiriansalee’s desires are known to be more every day. The Great Revenance is not far off.”

“And what of the surface dwellers?”

“They concern me, but not overly so. Last time I checked they were still wandering through the Underdark. Though they were close. I should check on them again. Lets go do that shall we?”

As they strode toward the temple a shimmering spirit zipped past them, sucked up into the orb with an eerie howling scream of anguish. Khumarr grinned, “That looked like a fire giant spirit. Someone must have anger Kurgoth.”

The High Priestess chuckled, “That fool will end up killing all his own troops before he ever penetrates our defenses.”

Steps before they entered the temple another spirit, then another, and finally a fourth spirit all howled their way into the orb, sucked in by its dark energies. Both drow had frozen in their steps at the sight. Khumarr muttered. “Four dead fire giants. Not even Kurgoth is that stupid. One of our patrols must have stumbled on one of theirs.”

“Then were are the orcs? The goblins? The trolls? No… one of the gates must have fallen.” She moved into the temple, her pace quickening.

Khumarr grinned, “The surface dwellers must not be as lost in the Underdark as you thought.”

The glare she shot at him was enough to end his mirth for a while.

They walked into the temple and up into the Greater Temple.

A voice in both their heads spoke softly, “Mistress, Khumarr, welcome back. Everything is as you desire.”

Absently the High Priestess nodded, “Good.”

She motioned for one of the rotting forms to come forward. What was once a drow noble, was now nothing more than a mobile candlestick. It shambled forward and Khumarr lit the candle.

The High Priestess nodded to another one of the rotting nobles and it shambled over to her altar, carrying a large bowl. A third zombie noble shambled forward holding an aspergill. She took it from him and sprinkled water into the large water filled bowl. Handing the aspergill back, she turned to a zombie that was always kneeling beside her altar. It held a massive book. She opened it to a marked page and muttered the prayer beneath her breath. The water in the bowl clouded up, then swirled about before a smoky image appeared.

“They are through the North gate and headed toward the noble district.” She frowned down at the image in the bowl.

“I will gather a strike team and…”

“No.” She cut him off and turned toward him. “We do not need to waste our effort on them. Kurgoth’s forces still stand between us and them. Notify the defenses, but otherwise take no action. We need to concentrate on our task at hand.” She strode out of the temple, snatching something up as she went. Khumarr had to walk quickly to keep up, even with his longer legs. They stopped at one of the landings alongside the large black orb of dark power. The close proximity to the black orb was already beginning to suck their life energy from their bodies.

The High Priestess called out, “Be aware, we may have visitors soon.”

The voice from the Greater Temple replied, “As you command, so it will be.”

“Notify Paelinn the moment they arrive. She will know what to do.”

The voice replied, “As you command, so it will be.”

Khumarr grimaced at the pain of standing on the landing, but held his ground as the High Priestess dropped to her knees. This time she was speaking to something other than him and the voice. Her eyes rolled into the back of her head and she cried out, “Kiriansalee!” Winds whipped at her white gauzy robes, easily revealing her naked form beneath. Khumarr had to steady himself to keep from being blown back by the wind. The orb pulsed faster and faster.

The High Priestess continued, “Mistress of the Dead! I follow your will, working to bring the Great Revenance as you commanded! But your aid is needed!”

The orb seemed to ripple with each of her words. “Help me to accomplish your goals! Give me the guidance I need to do your will!”

The wind gathered even more force, the gigantic orb spun in place so fast it looked like it might fly off in any direction at any moment. “For your aid I give you another gift!” She lifted her hands to reveal a massive gem with a rune carved on either side, the halfling gem the party had found in the Mines of Tethyamar!

Khumarr almost felt he could hear a growl of hunger beneath the howl of the wind. He grabbed onto the doorframe of the door leading back off the landing, keeping himself from being ripped of the landing. The kneeling priestess stood pulled back, then threw the gem into the center of the sphere.

The wind died immediately, and the orb slowed its spin once again. On the edge of the city, the weave corruption bubbled, rippled and shot forward fifty feet, expanding farther from the city at a highly accelerated rate.

The voice once again cut into both of their minds, “As you command, so it will be.”

A ray of darkness shot forth from the orb, piercing the High Priestess in the forehead. Her body went rigid, and she shook as the ray poured energy into her form. Blood trickled from her eyes and ears. Then finally the ray was gone, and everything was as it had been. She collapsed into Khumarr’s arms, and he quickly took her off the landing. He headed toward her chambers, but she grabbed his shoulder with her metal clawed hand. “No!” she hissed, “Into the temple chamber.”

“But you are weak, you need to rest.”

She dug her hand into his shoulder, the metal claws easily piercing his armor. “I am not weak! The Greater Temple! Now before I slay for your insolence!”

“Yes mistress.” He carried her into the Greater Temple and set her down in front of the altar.

She collapsed to the floor then pulled her self up to half kneeling in front of the altar. She spun on the zombie with the book and quickly turned it to the first blank page. She turned to another zombie and flipped open a small silver box. From beside the box she pulled a quill. She stabbed it into beating heart within the box, wetting its tip with blood. Quickly she began scribbling into the book, wanting to get the knowledge she had just been imparted down before it fled her memory.

Khumarr backed away slowly, then turned and strode out of the room. Behind him he could hear her laughing maniacally. He grinned and spoke aloud. “Be sure to make sure no one disturbs her.”

Again the voice replied, “As you command, so it will be.” The doors to the Greater Temple slowly swung closed then latched.

Khumarr nodded, “Good, I have preparations to make.”

Ruins of House Tinv’la
Maerimydra
Uktar 8th, 1372, Just after midnight

Delorian was out scouting around, while the others made preparations. Will sat down beside Varick and whispered, “How long till you can pray to your goddess?”

Varick looked up at the ceiling, as if he could see up to the sky beyond. “Hours still. I can’t really tell what time it is, but I know we are not near dawn yet. Mystra grants power at dawn.”

Will nodded. “I have only prepped a few spells, some scrying and vision spells. I’m going to cast them and see what I can find out. Then when you are done with your preparations, and cast whatever divinations you decide on, I can better know what to prepare for the day.”

“Sounds good. Let us know what you find out.” The priest turned back to the small book of prayers and meditations he was studying.

As Will stood to go implement his plan he was surprised to see that many of the pages of the book Varick was flipping through actually contained arcane spells. He smirked, remembering that Varick had told him before that he could use a certain prayer to mimic arcane spells if he had a copy of the spell. That was definitely a versatile ability.

An hour later they all gathered together to relate what they had learned.

“I was able to scout about the higher plateaus,” started Delorian. “There are a few bivouacs up here, but near what they seem to be in the city. The destroyed temple seems devoid of any life, but I dared not go into its bounds without us prepared for a fight.”

Will smiled, “Probably wise… I drove one of my arcane eyes in there. A massive black figure of darkness stepped from the shadows and paralyzed me with its mere gaze, through the eye! It wore off soon enough, but the eye was destroyed before I could learn anything more.”

“Beyond the temple though, I did learn a great deal. The shattered tower, the mage school that the beholder’s former prisoner told us about is utterly destroyed. There is definite faint magic still there, though it could just be the remnants of past spells. This entire city is infused with so many old castings, at times its hard to tell what is new and what is old.

“The coliseum is definitely Kurgoth’s stronghold. Several fire giants, his elephant, and the big man himself. He looks more than just fiend-blooded. I would say he is probably a half-fiend, which makes him very dangerous. He carries a flaming greatsword, and has massive bat wings. He was attended by several giants, trolls, and the like. Also there was a fairly large devil, called a Cornugon, that reported to him. Cornugon can also fly, so we need to watch out for it patrolling. He also had a swarm of imps reporting to him all the time, chances are by now he knows the gate guards were defeated, but I don’t think they know where we are yet.”

The castle is under heavy siege, but shows little signs of damage. There are several ways into it. I don’t see why the giants have not sacked it. Its defenses can’t be any more stout than taking an entire drow city. There are definite enchantments on the building though, and they may be why the giants have held back. No real way to know that with what we have found out so far. That’s about all I found out.”

Varick spoke next. “We got a note from the temple. They successfully cast a locate object on both Mother and the Halfling Gem. As of yesterday morning they were both within the city limits of Maerimydra, in some place called the Undying Temple.”

The others all nodded and were about to discuss it when Varick held up a hand. “There is a catch though. They are both on the Ethereal Plane.”

Wraithdrit

First Post
Ruins of the Merchant District
Maerimydra
Uktar 8th, 1372, Mid-day

Delorian reappeared in the midst of the skulking heroes. “Found something. Looks like a pack of ghouls. They are feeding a fallen group of Kurgoth’s lesser minions.”

Will glanced around at the others then muttered, “I guess that proves the giant-fiend does not have the undead as bottled up as we hoped.”

Taran nodded and twisted his grip on his holy avenger a bit. “We should destroy them. They are already dead, their essence might not be drawn in like the giants.”

YaDichi frowned. “Only one way to find out.” She replaced her standard arrow into her quiver and pulled out a black-shafted arrow and laid it across her bow.

A plan was quickly hatched and the group moved up through the hanging smoke, toward the feeding ghouls. As Taran and Varick strode calmly forward the others stayed back a ways, watching for other enemies. Delorian was already on the other side of the small mass of undead, waiting for the combat to begin.

One of the ghouls snapped its head up, having heard the approach of the heavily armored pair. It hissed something out in dark elven and began racing toward the priest and paladin. Soon all of its mates were charging in behind it, loping on all fours towards the waiting holy warriors.

Varick glanced at Taran as the ghouls approached. He smiled and then turned to look back at the ghouls as he raised his morning star. “By the power of Mystra, lay down, and be at rest! May her light shine on the darkness of your souls and flow through your hearts, undead be gone!” Light ripped forth from his holy symbol and bathed over the ghouls. They cried out and threw up their hands. Already charging forward, their momentum brought them further into the light. Pale unnatural undead flesh turned the natural colors of rotting drow flesh and animated forms fell to the ground as cold dead corpses.

Taran strode forward, his shield held in defense. Two of the ghouls had held back. They were moving forward now, but slower, watching and analyzing what the holy warriors had done to their companions. He noticed that they looked different. Their mouths opened to reveal a long snake like tongue that seemed to dissolve into a dark smoky end. He did not know what they were, but he knew his holy avenger would easily bite into their flesh.

One of the demonic ghouls leapt forward, and Taran met it with a mighty strike of his holy sword. The ghoul screamed and spun away, clutching its side. But in an instant was back on him. He shoved his shield into the beast’s chest pushing it back.

The other ghoul was circling around trying to flank Taran, but Varick moved up to get in the way. A trio of black-shafted arrows ripped through the ghoul, huge chunks of undead flesh burning away where the arrows had touched. Varick stepped up and slammed his morning star into the wounded ghoul’s head, sending it sprawling to the ground, never to stand again.

The ghoul on Taran clawed at his armor, but the paladin easily stepped back and with two more strong blows of his sword send the thing into the ground.

The field of battle was suddenly silent again. Will stepped up to beside YaDichi and whispered something to him. The archer nodded. Will spun quickly and fifty feet to one side a cloud of glittering dust exploded around a small imp shaped invisible form. Arrows flew from YaDichi’s bow, and before the little outsider could even cry out, it was dead.

The group gathered together and Will growled, “Damned imps.”

“What now?” asked YaDichi.

Taran nodded to the ruins surrounding them. “We keep exploring.”

A few minutes later as the group pushed on through the ruins Varick’s voice broke into everyone’s head through Will’s telepathic bond spell. “I just saw two drow watching us from that last window on the left side of the street.”

Will responded with telepathy. “Keep moving. Delorian, go into the next good alleyway.”

They gathered together in the alley and it was quickly decided that Delorian would go in and try to use his status as a shade to talk to the drow. After all, they knew there was a Shadovar ambassador somewhere in the city.

Delorian appeared in the middle of the ruined inn, his hands held open and to the side. The moment he appeared, one of the drow yelped in surprise and fired off his hand crossbow. Delorian easily slapped the bolt out of the air. “I mean you know harm. I come to talk.”

The young drow began reloading his crossbow, ignoring the shade’s words. Delorian spoke again, “You have seen that weapon is useless against me.”

In Undercommon, the drow growled as he reloaded, “Just keep standing there, idiot surface dweller.” Not understanding, Delorian relayed his words through the telepathic link.

Will chuckled and told Delorian through the bond, “He doesn’t believe you.”

The other drow in the room spoke in Undercommon to the younger one, “Wait… he is not attacking.” In accented common he spoke to Delorian, “What do you want, surface dweller?”

“To talk to you. I mean you no harm. I am here to assess the situation in the city.”

The older drow chuckled and motioned around him. “Easy enough to see. Now move along.”

“Not yet. You and your friend are scouts for those in charge?”

“Hardly. We answer to only ourselves.”

“So you are former followers of Lolth.”

“Lolth, Kiriansalee, Kurgoth… all masters we care nothing about.”

“Interesting… the two of you survived this long alone.”

“Who says we are alone?”

“Interesting indeed. Perhaps we can help each other then…”

“And how would you help me?” asked the drow.

“I can give you information about what I have seen in other parts of the city.” Delorian watched both drow, having to glance around to see them both.

“You think something goes on in this city that we don’t already know about? Not likely. But I tell you what. You will talk to someone else, not I. Wait here. I will get him.”

Varick’s voice broke into Delorian’s head. “One more coming your direction through the ruins.” As the older drow went downstairs the back door of the inn opened up and an orange skinned female goblin walked in. She blinked at the strange sight.

In Undercommon the young drow muttered, “We have company… watch him, he can block bolts with his bare hands.”

The goblin looked at the young drows drawn and pointed hand crossbow and then to the monk. “Then why are you pointing that at him?”

The young drow looked down at the hand crossbow then to Delorian. Understanding the exchange despite the language barrier, the shade monk just smiled ever so slightly. The young drow growled, “I might be able to hit him next time.”

The goblin nodded, “Right.” She rolled her eyes and muttered something in goblin. Delorian assumed it was a disparaging remark.

Soon the older drow stepped back upstairs with a third drow. This one was well built, with short black dyed hair. He had a greatsword strapped across his back. “Well, my companion has told me of your offer. I am intrigued.” The drow’s common was near perfect. “Why don’t you tell your companions to join us?”

About that time Varick broke into the telepathic bond. “Um… guys… that rat has been watching us for the past five minutes. Rats don’t do that do they?”

Delorian frowned, “You have a rat friend?” The drow leader’s eyebrows shot up.

“Indeed. Tell your friends to join us, and the rat will watch for us.”

Delorian nodded. In the telepathic bond he spoke, “Come on in guys… I think they are non-hostile enough that we might get information out of them.”

Soon the entire group was escorted down into an old wine cellar that had been converted into an impressive little hide out. All sorts of fine drow furnishing and other items of loot were scattered about. The drow leader spoke as he sat down in a huge high backed chair. “I am called Hamadh. What is it you think you can do for me?”

Will spoke up, “We have information about the city.”

Hamadh looked bored. “I have more information about what is going on here than you could possibly know. Something I can use or spend would be much better.”

Will nodded, “We could pay for information. Besides, we are here to do more than just scout. We intend to stop the cult of Kiriansalee. Surely this would benefit you.”

Hamadh smiled now, “Of course it would. You will be leaving when you are done, correct?”

Will nodded. “Of course, we’ve no desire to live here.”

“And what makes you think you can do what Kurgoth’s army can not?”

Delorian spoke up, “We are no army of brutes.”

“So I see. Well then, what can I do for you?” Hamadh picked at the wood handle of the fine chair he sat in.

“We need information on the castle’s defenses,” said Varick. An earlier communing with Mystra had revealed it to be the center of the cult of Kiriansalee’s operations.

“I’ve never been inside, so I can not tell you what the interior defenses are like. But I can get you inside.”

Taran nodded, “Somehow I knew you would be capable.”

Hamadh grinned, “We have not just survived here… we see and hear much. The question is… how much money did you bring?”

A short time later, a deal having been struck the heroes decided that they would spend the rest of the day exploring the ruins, then after resting they would meet back up with Hamadh’s hidden group when they were ready to enter into the castle. They knew that had to be fully prepared when they went into the castle, as once they were inside, the chances of getting out and then back in would be slim. Hamadh assured them that his getting them into the castle would only work once.

The group stood upstairs in the inn. They had decided that they would check out the old temple of lolth. The dark creature that dwelled there was undead and thus probably on the side of the cult. It had used fear to paralyze Will before, and the magical feast that Varick had prepared for them at the beginning of the day rendered them immune from its frightening gaze. A plan set, and their best enchantments cast, the group locked hands for a quick Will-provided teleport.

The moment they appeared Will began casting, Delorian concentrated, and several more shade monks seemed to appear around his form, YaDichi rolled her magic ring around on her hand, feeling the spell of true striking flowing through her body, Varick began a loud prayer, and Taran charged across the crater toward where Will said the massive form stood.

The darkness seemed to swell around them, and Will’s spell of glitterdust erupted around the massive form, clinging to it’s invisible hide, showing right where it was. Taran thrust his holy sword deep into the surprised creature as Delorian stepped through the shadows, appearing next to the massive undead form, his nunchaku spinning and slamming into the thing.

Varick’s prayer ended and he smiled as bands of color seemed to float up around the creature before disappearing. Into the telepathic bond he muttered, “Its resistance to spells is lowered Will. Do you thing.”

The creature howled out and floated up into the air. Both of its hands glowed. From one hand black energy rolled out and exploded around Taran and Delorian, wracking them with pain, deep lashes and cuts appearing on their bodies. From the other hand a huge cone of cold blasted over Taran and sprayed back over YaDichi, Will, and Varick. It had been surprised, but its reactions were powerful and dangerous.

YaDichi took a few steps to the side, dropped down to a knee and fired off three arrows in rapid succession. Massive chunks of the creature dissolved away where the arrows touched, the mighty enchantments of her bow showing why it was a legendary weapon. The creature howled in pain, locking its fearful gaze on YaDichi, its eyes blazing with fury. The young archer just narrowed her eyes and reached for more arrows.

Will ran to one side, stopped, skidding on the loose stones of the crater. His hands came up and he cast a spell, then spoke into the telepathic bond, “Binding it to this realm.” Huge mystical chains seemed to grow from the ground and wrap about the beast. While they stretched to move as it did, not binding it physically, Will knew it was not going to use magic to get out of there.

Taran moved with the creature, his sword slamming into the thing once, then a second time, cutting deep into it. Delorian was on it just the same, his nunchaku slamming into it again and again.

Still the creature stared its hatred at YaDichi, the massive arrow wounds still burning. Its eyes flashed and thick black ray shot out, slamming the archer in the chest. She screamed as her whole form shook. Her skin seemed to flash, and begin to disappear. Her insides where momentarily visible and the powerful death magic gripped her. As she fell forward she clutched her bow in her hand, and thought of all the good she had left to do in this world. With a scream she stood up and shook off the effects of the deadly ray. Blood ran from her eyes, nose, and ears. Her breathing was ragged, but she was alive.

Her bow snapped up, an arrow already in it. The creature floated over Taran and began floating toward her. One hand was stretching out toward the bow, as if it was going to wrench it from her grasp. “You want it?” She growled. “Take it.” She loosed the arrow. Before it even landed she was pulling the next arrow from her back, and backpedaling toward the wall behind her. The arrow ripped a hole the size of a buckler through the beasts huge hand. It then ripped a hole through its chest and flew on into the darkness. The next arrow blew another chunk out of the hand then blew through its head. The last arrow slashed through the center of its forehead. With a mournful sigh it collapsed forward and dissolved into darkness.

YaDichi fell to her knees and closed her eyes. She gripped her bow tight against her chest and concentrated on remaining alive. Varick jogged over and when he got there, he was surprised to see her starting to stand up. She was relatively unhurt for the punishment her body had just endured.

Will spoke out through the telepathic bond. “We better get what ever treasure it had and get out of here fast. That light show would not have been hard to miss. I have a feeling that in about five minutes this place will be crawling with giants and imps.”

Wraithdrit

First Post
Latest Update

Underdark
Ruins of Maerimydra
Uktar 8th, 1372, ‘Mid-Afternoon’

The heroes quickly slipped out of the temple after secure the small amounts of treasure the undead abomination had been guarding. It hardly seemed worth the risk. They had hoped for an alternate entrance to the castle or something, anything that would aid them. None of the treasure was even that useful. On the upside though, they had something to bribe Hamadh and his band of rogues with.

They went down into the city, in search of more undead to slay. They made a calculated effort to stay away from the giant’s encampments, knowing that the more giants they killed the more souls would be sucked into the cult’s hands.

It did not take too long to find what they were after. But it was not quite what they had hoped for. Will looked up and saw that several figures were watching them from a rooftop, not even attempting to hide. It was obvious to Will that the figures were on the Ethereal Plane, watching them. One of the figures rode a massive horse with flaming hooves. As he glanced up at the figure he was horrified to see that he could see its skull through its face. It was a ghost! The pinprick of energy that served for the undead’s eyes seemed to focus on Will, burrowing into his soul. The mage shuddered, feeling the icey cold gaze flow through him, sapping his strength.

He looked away, shuddering from the brush with such a cold gaze. His footsteps were heavier, and he half shuffled his way along. Varick glanced over at him. “You okay?”

Will nodded, “I will be… keep moving.” When they had advanced further, Will glanced back. The Ethereal band was moving towards where they had come from, and was not pursueing them. He spoke to the others, “A ghost, and some ethereal companions… I have a few spells that could hurt them, but the rest of you would be hard pressed. I thought it best to let them pass.”

The others quickly agreed, and the group head on in search of others. A few minutes later, Varick stopped and looked up. In the fog that swirled overhead he saw movement. Something large and winged, but humanoid flew overhead, swooping past. He quickly told the others. Since whatever it was had flown on, they decided to proceed further.

They dropped down into the slums of Maerimydra, and the smashed shantytown that covered that lower level. Delorian reappeared amidst the group. “Ghouls ahead.” This was more like it. Something they could lay their hands on.

The plan was quickly set and they executed it quickly and efficiently. Delorian appeared in front of one ghoul, making himself a target. Several more poured from the buildings around him. Two even charged down the alley toward the others, but they were quickly sent flying into the air by a reverse gravity spell from Will.

Delorian was unstoppable with his nunchaku. It was not that he was hitting harder than before, but instead he was keeping his opponents on the ground. Though he was surrounded, the ghouls hardly layed a hand on him. He spun this way and that, smashing kneecaps, breaking shins, and sweeping ghoul legs from the ground. These were not just regular ghouls either. They were the nasty abyssal ghouls that they had run into a bit earlier. All of them were abyssal ghouls, but it mattered little. The rest of the group swept forward around the area of reverse gravity. Arrows and spells peppered the ghouls trying to get at Delorian, and again and again as the ghouls tried to stand back up, Delorian would knock them back down.

It was reaching the point of near comedy. The ghouls at this point were clawing at the walls and boxes around them to try and stand up, and Delorian just spun this way and that, smashing their hands, and knocking them back down. Finally a few of the ghouls got the idea to get away from him, then stand up, only to come face to face with Varick and Taran, or to get shot by Will or YaDichi.

YaDichi finally decided to check out the ghouls that were floating and squealing up in the fog, caught in the reverse gravity Will had thrown up. She activated his item of flight and flew up into the air. She was shocked to only find one ghoul suspended in the reverse gravity well. She quickly dropped to below it and peppered it with arrows till it stopped twitching. She looked at the others. They had just finished off the last of the ghouls. “We have a problem… one of them is missing.”

Will frowned, “What? Its not possible to escape a gravity well unless…”

The telltale woosh of something flying low overhead had everyone pointing weapons straight up into the fog. The only response was the soft thunk of a ghoul head being dropped to their midst as whatever it was flew past overhead. The head bounced a few times, then rolled to a stop at Will’s feet. “Lovely…” muttered the mage.

The fog swirled as whatever it was came lower. Finally it was visible, its huge bat like wings beating to slow its descent. A massive devil, the one Will had seen with Kurgoth through his scouting eyes that morning. It did not attack right away though. Instead it landed on the corner of one of the shanty buildings. The corner collapsed into a small pile of rubble, but the devil easily perched on the pile of rocks, its wings slowly folding into its sides. “Well, well, well… what have we here?”

Taran gripped his sword and narrowed his eyes. His hatred of the creature was almost as plain as that of Brother Varick. Varick had his morningstar ready and his shield up. His face was a sneer of contempt for the abomination.

Will held up his hands. The mage was within arms reach of the massive devil. “We have no fight with you. We are here to stop the cult.”

The devil chuckled, “Then it seems we have the same enemy, for now. I’ll let you live to see the morrow then.”

Delorian spoke from one side, “You serve the giants?”

The devil whipped its massive head around to glare at him, “I serve no one!” It seemed to get its composure after a moment. “I work with Kurgoth, not for him. His purpose suits me for now.”

Varick growled, “And that purpose is?”

The devil grinned, “To destroy the last of the drow of this city… the cult of Kiriansalee.”

Will quickly cut back into the conversation. “Then we have no quarrel with you… for now.”

The devil grinned and snapped his wings out. He looked Will up and down, then chuckled. “Indeed.” With one powerful snap of his wings he was airborne again. “We will meet again, I’m sure.”

As he rose into the fog, both Varick and Taran considered launching attacks. The heroes were not ready for such a fight though, and the two holy warriors decided to hold that fight for another day.

The group went back to scouring the city for undead, but eventually found themselves a spot to hole up and wait till the morning. With Will’s health restored from his encounter with the ghost, the party was ready to meet back up with Hamadh. They found the rogue leader waiting for them patiently, right where they had left him.

It took a bit of bargaining, but once the goods they had gotten from the ruined temple were given over to Hamadh he was forthcoming with the means to enter Castle Maerimydra. The giant blockade was only around most of the castle, so they could sneak in, or teleport up close to the back of the castle, or one of its parapets. From there, they could gain access to the interior using a password that the drow caster of the forbiddance spell keeping people outside had set up to allow entry to members of the cult. The password was in a drow elven dialect, but was the nonsense phrase “Isztava morthaum”. The non elven-speaking members of the group spent time practicing the password so as not to get it wrong.

Hamadh assured them that this was a one shot deal. Once they had been discovered inside, the password would be changed with the next casting, so they had to get in and do what they needed to inside in one day, or rest within the castle. If they left the castle, the barrier spell would be recast.

The heroes thanked Hamadh for his assistance, then teleported to parapet of the castle. Stairs led up to a higher entrance. The level they were on was actually the same level as the main stairs entered. The back entrance entered a level beneath them. They decided to enter on the floor they were on, rather than leave so much unexplored beneath them.

Varick made quick easy work of the door with a stone shape spell. The group filed into a balcony over looking the bottom floor of the smaller of the two towers. The tower extended above them, but the entrance to that level was not here, the floor was closed off above. They found a pair of double doors that obviously led to the rest of the castle. They were about to open them when something stirred in the air behind them. From the dark corner of the room a silvery glowing ghostly form of a hezrou demon appeared. It floated 80 feet off the ground at the top of the chamber. With a howl it unleashed a wave of chaotic energy that ripped through the group.

The fight was quick. YaDichi spun and put two arrows through the demon. Her third arrow seemed to pass harmlessly through the thing. Varick threw up the focus for his spiritual weapon, and it sprang to life flying forward to smash into the undead demon. It disappeared in an unearthly howl, destroyed.

The fighting had already begun, so the heroes figured it was time to cast their high offense preparatory spells. The two casters quickly cast spells of strength, defense, and telepathic communication. Taran had already summoned Gundra while they were outside the forbiddance. They discussed a few moments then finally decided they were ready and turned toward the double doors. Taran kicked them open, only to find that the drow cults forces were waiting on the other side. Hand crossbow bolts flew toward the party, spellcasting could be heard from behind massive fire giant zombies. The fight for Castle Maerimydra was on. Perhaps even, the fight for all of Faerun’s salvation from the cold grip of Kiriansalee…

Underdark
Inside the Maerimydra Arena
Uktar 9th, 1372, ‘Morning’

A fire giant strode past the guards, carrying a drow prisoner. The prisoner was one of Hamadh’s band, the hot headed younger drow whose face was covered in scars. Hamadh had called him Karas. His hands were bound and he was pretty badly beaten. He was practically unconscious, his head lulling from side to side.

The giant tossed him down at Kurgoth’s feet, then dropped down to a knee. “M’lord.”

Kurgoth waved the giant up, “Why have you brought me this … thing?” Kurgoth’s contempt for the drow was obvious. The half-fiend obviously did not like the dark elves as a people, probably the root of his attack on the city.

“It claims to have means to get inside the castle.” The fire giant reached down and wrenched the elf’s head up. “Spit it out, elf! Or I’ll roast your eyes out and feed them to Lord Kurgoth’s pet!”

The elephant trumpeted loudly, stomping around beside its half-fiend master. Kurgoth chuckled and leaned in to hear what the drow had to say.
“Password… to get into castle… past … spell defense…”

Kurgoth leaned closer. “Yes, yes, go on… what is it?”

The drow swallowed and licked his lips, “Promise to let me live.”

Kurgoth narrowed his eyes. He sniffed, and clamped his mouth shut. The other giants in the room just knew that their lord was going to smash the elf apart for his insolence. He surprised them all. “Done! Now… the password!”

The elf slumped and muttered, “Isztava morthaum.” Kurgoth flew to his feet. The giants thought he was going to kill the elf now that he had the information needed.

“Throw that peace of trash into the street, let the undead have him!” He turned to his commanders, “Mobilize the army! Prepare the horde! We have a castle to take!”

The fire giant that had captured the elf, scooped up the betrayer and tossed him over a shoulder and walked toward the door. He found his way blocked by Kurgoth’s massive winged devil.

The devil looked the giant up and down, narrowing his eyes a bit. The giant bowed its head, and then looked back into the devil’s gaze, matching its stare. The devil grinned and then broke out into a laugh and turned to join the others in preparing for the castle assault, shaking its head in disbelief.

The giant strode out into the city. Eventually he set Karas down. Karas was quickly out of his ropes and casting a small cure spell to get rid of the superficial self inflicted wounds. The giant shuddered and shrunk till he was in the form of the older drow that was Karas’ companion in Hamadh’s little band, the one known as Chiirikk. Chiirikk spoke first, “The devil knows.”

“Impossible. He would have slain us.”

Chiirikk shook his head, “He knows, but he doesn’t care. I think he only cares about the cult, and now wiping out the city like Kurgoth.”

Karas considered a moment then shrugged. “It doesn’t matter. Between the surface dwellers, the giants, and the cult, the castle will be lucky to be standing in the morning.”

Hamadh stepped out of the shadows, “Indeed, and when the dust settles, we will snatch control of the city.” The three shared a laugh, then went to find a spot they could watch the castle from safely. They wanted to be there when the giants broke down the front door.

Underdark
Ruins of Maerimydra, a block from Castle Maerimydra
Uktar 9th, 1372, ‘Morning’

Tursa glanced at her companion. She smiled and glanced over at Telinal. “Your aid in getting here is much appreciated.”

The dark elf shrugged, and looked back from his perch. “I still don’t understand why you want to be so close when this all goes down. If they fail… well, I’d rather be on the far side of Toril if that happens.”

Tursa shrugged, “Everything is going as planned.”

Telinal frowned, “Planned? You make it sound like the Oracle is guiding all this, not seeing it from visions.”

Tursa chuckled, “Oh Telinal, you know what I meant.” Her laughter was musical to the dark elf, and he quickly forgot his concern for whatever it was she had just said. The fey’ri woman slipped closer to him, wrapping her arms around gently around him, sliding her hands across the fabric of his shirt. “Isn’t this exciting?” she purred.

Telinal sighed and leaned back into her. It was exciting alright, but it had nothing to do with the coming battle that the Oracle had forseen. He closed his eyes and swallowed gently, if only she were a drow and not a fey’ri he would…

His thoughts were cut short when he felt her grip his hair. He had never felt her pull his own dagger from his belt, but when the blade stabbed into his neck the shock and pain jolted him from surprise into fear. It was too late though. With a single beat of her wings Tursa pulled back, ripping the dagger completely through his throat. Her free hand shoved him forward. He fell to the rubble, grabbing at his severed throat. Blood gushed through his hands.

He rolled over and stared at her in shock, and surprise. His lips moved but the wound prevented him from speaking. One hand went down to fumble with his sword, but his eyes closed before the blade was even out. He fell forward, and a pool of blood soaked the stones around him.

Tursa walked forward and stabbed the dagger into his back, through his spine and into his heart. “Sorry Telinal, but things are getting so close to the end. I’ve got to start wrapping up my loose ends. You know how it is…” She turned and crouched beside the body, watching the castle, unconcerned that his blood pooled around her feet, staining her clothes and her drooped wings. By the time the events that were unfolding would be over, there would be a lot more blood spilled.

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
Excellent. Are you trying to cause trouble for the heroes, or make it easier for them by having the giants invade?

We're due to recommence my CotSQ campaign this weekend, and my group's delighted to be returning to their high-power characters, but terrified to be returning to the Underdark...

(Especially when they find out what I've done to the place in their absence!)

Remove ads