Write this game for adults

S

Sunseeker

For me, it's nothing at all to do with the content. It's all to do with the writing style.

Play a dragonborn if:
- You want to be scaly.
This is a pretty gross exggeration, and either speaks to a profound level of ignorance which someone with your prominence on this forum simply shouldn't have, or a very obnoxious level of passive-aggressive edition hating.

To quote from right under the Dragonborn statblock:
"Born to fight, dragonborn are a race of wandering mercenaries, soldiers and adventurers."
Right there we've got a lot more than just "be scaly." But it doesn't stop there, and that was only the FIRST LINE.
"Long ago, their empire contended for worldwide domnision..."
In the first half of the SECOND line, we give players a great reason to play dragonborn: worldwide conquest. But maybe we need more.
"...but now only a few rootless clans of these honorable warriors remain to pass on their legends of acnient glory."
Here's some GREAT matieral. You are one of a few, perhaps the last of your kind, you can seek to rekindle your empire, make one last great mark for the Dragonborn people, or all sorts of things.

Alright alright, there is that list that says things like:
"look like a dragon"
"be a proud heir of an ancient, fallen empire"
"breath acid, fold, fire, lightning, or poison"
"to be a member of a race that favors the warlord, fighter or paladin classes"

Alright, you get the first one.
Second one? Nope back to the good material.
Third? Eh, 50/50 that appeals to some people.
Fourth? Could apply to a lot of races, but certainly gives you an idea for your character beyond "scaly".

The book then spends a FULL page going into greater detail, and there's also a short handbook of some 20 pages talking about the race.

So I'm sorry Morrus, but you either didn't bother to read the 4e PHB, or are passivly trying to start up an edition war. Because the book does not simply say "play dragonborn if you want to be scaly." In fact, only a tiny fragment of the written material on the Dragonborn in the PHB even references their draconic ancestry.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is a pretty gross exggeration, and either speaks to a profound level of ignorance .... or a very obnoxious level of passive-aggressive edition ... you either didn't bother to read the 4e PHB, or are passivly trying to start up an edition war.

Let's be clear.

You are welcome to disagree with me. You are welcome to debate my opinions. You are NOT welcome to make personal attacks against me or anyone else on these forums. There are no exceptions, no matter how right you feel.

I hope that's crystal clear. Feel free to discuss the subject without the insults or email me if you're unclear on EN World's rules.

Last edited:

herrozerro

First Post
Let's be clear.

You are welcome to disagree with me. You are welcome to debate my opinions. You are NOT welcome to make personal attacks against me or anyone else on these forums. There are no exceptions, no matter how right you feel. I hope that's crystal clear.

He does have a point though. Is "play a dragonborn if you want to be scaly" in the books?

Libramarian

Adventurer
Not quite "scaly", but the exact quote is

Play a Dragonborn if you want...

- To look like a dragon.

Which is how I might explain it if I were talking to a 6 year old.

Maybe not even. I actually would expect most 6 year olds to be able to infer from the picture of the dragonborn right there that dragonborn look like dragons and would allow them to look like a dragon if they were to choose dragonborn.

Gaming Tonic

First Post
I am going to assume that the adult part of this whole conversation relates to the artwork because as I look over my older editions it appears that much of the actual content is bland and rather text bookish. I think that many amazing pieces of fantasy art have been commissioned and used by TSR/WotC that were not extremely sexual. Dragon Magazine Issue 126 is a great example of a female looking totally amazing without wearing something inappropriate. Dragon 108 was an example of a female in a silly outfit. So there have been misses. I like to be able to share the game with younger players and introduce them to the hobby but that is a lot more difficult to sell if the game is selling sex.

Libramarian

Adventurer
yes I suppose.

The problem is the habit they got into of listing the features of each class and race in point form format. They stuck to it for every one and then the first point for dragonborn ended up coming across as particularly dumbed down.

actually this might be just as bad.

Play an elf if you want...
- to be quick, quiet, and wild.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
He does have a point though. Is "play a dragonborn if you want to be scaly" in the books?

It is not in the books; it's a little rhetoric hyperbole on the line "... if you want to look like a dragon".

A mild parody, if you will.

I'm fine with people finding that a little too hyperbolic, and you're welcome to say so; that does not excuse personal insults, however.

Last edited:

S

Sunseeker

It is not in the books; it's a little rhetoric hyperbole on the line "... if you want to look like a dragon".

I'm fine with people finding that a little too hyperbolic, and you're welcome to say so; that does not excuse personal insults, however.

Perhaps we should extend that rule to editions, because summing up everything 4e says on dragonborn as "if you want to be scaly" is hyperbole to the point of insulting. As you said yourself, you are free to disagree, but there is a lot more content to dragonborn than "if you want to be scaly", so if you disagree, I would appreciate that disagreement be based on its merits, not absurd hyperbole.

Remove ads