• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

X-Com: the Redshirtening

Andor

First Post
Yes, I mentioned the FFG Boardgame, if only in passing, in the first post. I haven't had a chance to take a look at the game yet, but when I have a little spare money I'll certainly pick it up and see what I can [-]steal[/-] take inspiration from it. the time scale employed is all wrong for an RPG so it probably won't have too much that could be directly ported, but the air interception game is a possibility, and certainly the figs will be nice.

raleel

Explorer
I have thought repeatedly that 4e is actually X-com. It has a lot of the right mechanics, including e same movement, readying actions, range, cover, discrete action types, defined player character roles, etc. on could even use something like gamma world, which simplifies things a bit and incorporates future tech for a model

Andor

First Post
4e? I don't know. 4e is certainly a good match for a lot of tactical games like FFT or Disgaea, but there are some important differences (IMHO) with X-com.

First, and most important, is that 4e is explicitly designed to play the same way throughout. X-Com otoh has several transformative points where game play changes. Flying armour, Psi, Some weapons, with EW access to Gene mods and MECs.

Second the focus of the powers is very different. 4e has active, useful powers. The EU/EW/LW perks tend to be either passive or situational. There are some exceptions of course, like Run and Gun or Double Tap.

Third, while 4e is similar to EU/EW in some ways, I'm hoping to cast a broader net and allow the game to capture the earlier games as well. And 4e is a terrible, terrible match for those.

The earlier games have no perk or power systems. Your characters are just a list of stats who gain personally tranformative differences only by learning Psi. THe meat and bones of the combat lies in the gear.

Now, I really like the perk system of the new game, but I do think a little of the emphasis needs to shift back to the equipment. EU/EW has a frankly terribly inventory system which is put to shame by games 20 years older. Why can I not pick up my unconcious medics med-kit and use it to save her life? Engine limitations, no other reason.

Sorry, I hope this didn't come off as an anti-4e rant. I actually enjoy playing 4e, it just feels a poor fit to me.

I haven't seen the new Gamma World. I'll try and take a peek at it sometime.

raleel

Explorer
No offense taken. My experience with X-Com is surprisingly limited. I just remember playing it and thinking "this would be easy in 4e". If it doesn't match your goals, then it's not going to work :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads