• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Xanathar's and Counterspell

Fanaelialae

Legend
You go right ahead and believe that. Feel nice an warm in your moral superiority. :)

What moral superiority? Where have I implied that I am in any way better than you? I'm sorry if you seem to be offended, but it frankly seems like you are intent upon being offended regardless of what I say.

Looks like Adventurer's League is not compelling use of this spellcasting rule but will abide with DM's who elect to enforce it. So the 'optional' rule is not so optional now at a table with a DM who elects to run this way, if you play AL.

These new rules (Simultaneous Effects, Falling, Sleep, Adamantine Weapons, Tying Knots, Tool Proficiencies, and Spellcasting) are not currently required for Adventurers League play at this time. However, a DM or player that has access to these new rules may use them at the DM’s discretion.

http://dndadventurersleague.org/xanathars-guide-to-everything/

Caliban

Rules Monkey
What moral superiority? Where have I implied that I am in any way better than you? I'm sorry if you seem to be offended, but it frankly seems like you are intent upon being offended regardless of what I say.

You think I'm offended? You have much too high an opinion of yourself. :)

You are the one who is saying that "sure the rule adds a new exploit, but that's only a problem if you or your players are morally inferior".

I'm not offended - I find this highly amusing. :)

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Looks like Adventurer's League is not compelling use of this spellcasting rule but will abide with DM's who elect to enforce it. So the 'optional' rule is not so optional now at a table with a DM who elects to run this way, if you play AL.

http://dndadventurersleague.org/xanathars-guide-to-everything/

Cool. Counterspelling is actually more effective for a group of PC's if the DM uses this rule. We can pause the combat while all the players except the ones with counterspell roll arcana checks, then decide who counterspells it.

Meanwhile the (usually outnumbered) NPC caster has to decide between identifying or counterspelling and they can waste all their counterspells on low level spells.

Cool. Counterspelling is actually more effective for a group of PC's if the DM uses this rule. We can pause the combat while all the players except the ones with counterspell roll arcana checks, then decide who counterspells it.

Meanwhile the (usually outnumbered) NPC caster has to decide between identifying or counterspelling and they can waste all their counterspells on low level spells.

That 15+Spell Level Arcana DC is going to cull a lot of non-casters from this activity, not to mention those PCs have uses for their reactions, too. But, in some cases, you are correct!

Also another reason my Wizard will be using a Simulacrum more often.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?

You are the one who is saying that "sure the rule adds a new exploit, but that's only a problem if you or your players are morally inferior".

Actually you do sound kind of offended, just fyi.

Fanaelialae

Legend

My mistake then.

Saying that this is only a problem if you have a cheater at your table is not the same thing as saying, "that's only a problem if you or your players are morally inferior".

And I already gave you an effortless fix to the 'exploit' (player writes the spell down between turns).

Remove ads