D&D 5E XGTE Errata

pukunui

Legend
[MENTION=6783882]Nevvur[/MENTION]: I hyperlinked all the answers, which got rid of the green text. I hope that's OK.

Jeremy says they've found (and fixed) three errors so far, and he's got his eye on a fourth (see below). I've added the other one (mind spike), plus my question about the Second Chance feat to the original post.

I sure hope Healing Spirits gets an errata soon...
Jeremy Crawford says he's keeping his eye on it and will change it if it becomes an actual problem in play (vs a theoretical one).

Delazar78

First Post
Jeremy Crawford says he's keeping his eye on it and will change it if it becomes an actual problem in play (vs a theoretical one).

Can’t they just admit it was a mistake? And errata it? Healing Spirit is broken out of combat, community spotted this 24 seconds after release. This “working as intended” attitude in the face of blatant brokeness irks me...

what is wrong with the “theory”of it? Does he think ppl will not use it because it has a silly name? Or because no group will have time for a one minute stop? What needs to be proven “in play” that is not already obvious on paper?

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
Can’t they just admit it was a mistake? And errata it? Healing Spirit is broken out of combat, community spotted this 24 seconds after release. This “working as intended” attitude in the face of blatant brokeness irks me...
There are countless examples where the community saw something, screamed about it being broken, but when it was actually tested in real play, it was not a problem. The iconic example was the Mystic Theurge in the 3E era. When released, people screamed about how we'd never see another spellcasting PC that was not a Mystic Theurge and that the insane number of spells they had broke every facet of the game. It wasn't just a few loud voices either - it was many threads on many boards with many different people screaming about it... but 6 months later, nobody was playing the class and nobody believed it to be overpowered anymore.

Here, you have to be able to move through the spirit's space to use it (or start your turn in it). It requires concentration and heals a maximum of d6 to a creature per turn at 2nd level (there are tricks that allow multiple heals per round), and escalates in healing by using higher slots. It is only druid and ranger (or sneaky bard).

An enemy can occupy the spirit's space. Suddenly, the font of healing is gone until the druid or ranger moves it using a bonus action. Even then, moving the spirit into the space of an ally does not heal that ally - so you can't use it to heal allies on your turn. They have delayed healing that does not trigger until the creature's turn. If you are unconscious (which normally severs concentration) or unable to determine that the ally has entered the space of the spirit (can't see it, etc...), you can't heal them.

This is an effective healing spell whenever everything is working right, but it isn't going to work right all the time. In my opinion, it is totally fine. JC is taking a Superstar approach by watching and not jumping to conclusions.

pukunui

Legend
[MENTION=2629]jgsugden[/MENTION]: I'm not seeing anyone complaining about its use in combat. It's the out-of-combat use that's causing people to cry foul.

Haven't seen this one mentioned anywhere yet: the first two Grasslands Encounters tables (p. 100) are listed as Levels 1-5 and 6-10, whereas the tables for all the other environments are correctly marked Levels 1-4 and 5-10.

jgsugden

Legend
[MENTION=2629]jgsugden[/MENTION]: I'm not seeing anyone complaining about its use in combat. It's the out-of-combat use that's causing people to cry foul.
Out of combat healing as a serious balance concern? We truly have seen everything.

Option 1: Heal the party entirely using no spell slots, but requiring an hour of rest and using up the limited resource of the hit dice.
Option 2: Use a 2nd level spell to heal the party entirely in 1 minute outside combat without the hit dice being used.

Pretty comparable.

pukunui

Legend
[MENTION=2629]jgsugden[/MENTION]: I think the main concern people have is that it stomps all over prayer of healing.

EDIT: Out of combat, healing spirit can heal up to 35 (10d6) hit points per PC at its base level. Prayer of healing, however, can only heal 9-14 (2d8 + 1-5) per PC, with a limit of six PCs in total. Both are 2nd level spells.

Last edited:

Zmajdusa

First Post
If it also works with the Circle of the Shepherd Totem Spirit feature for the unicorn spirit, that is the Druids level in healing to everyone in that aura everytime someone walks through the Healing Spirit.

Remove ads