D&D 5E XP for Gold in 5E?

Vanveen

Explorer
Apologies for necro-ing this thread, but it's a top Google result and presumably even more relevant after three years, given more familiarity with 5e.

My own idea is to allow 1 XP /1 GP. But I'll break it down.

Given my OS roots, to me some part of FRPG has to be about gold 'n' gems 'n' carousing. Besides, the challenges of dragging a huge haul out of the back of nowhere can lead to some truly awesome adventures.

That said, treasure absolutely *wrecks* economies, even if you know NOTHING about economies. Gygax tried to hand-wave this away by claiming it was like a gold rush town--eggs for a dollar each in 1840, etc.--but this collapses quickly if your "world" is anything more than Frontiertown and Enormous Wilderness. Also, the hyperinflation this would cause in a small medieval society is not to be sneezed at. Nor do you want characters to be able to "get rid of" that loot by sinking it into a castle. That's like driving away gremlins by spraying them with a hose. Works for a bit, then you have a MUCH bigger problem.

So you have to drain the money, but most of the ways to do so are in direct opposition to player experience quality. The problem is that a realistic solution--one that works--will quickly appear *unrealistic* to the players, doing damage to the consensual suspension of disbelief. Carousing drains a lot of dough, sure, but THAT much? Training has limits too--any reasonable PC will wonder why she shouldn't just set up as a trainer, as fast as possible. Similarly, logic would suggest a world jammed full of people who can train 3rd or below, while you'd have to be stone crazy to adventure long enough to be able to train 8th or below. And so on.

So here's my solution.
The players are frontier/West Marches types in a sandboxy environment. They're pretty loot-motivated to begin with (although not murder hoboes), but they've also been sent by a nearby ruler into the area to help bring it under her control after a devastating war. Things are a lot worse than anyone knows--she is *completely* broke (fairly common for medieval war participants, btw) and needs as much loot as you can give her, stat, or all hell will break loose again.
So the characters have a choice. They can send loot of any kind back to the queen from their frontier base. (99% of the time, this loot will get there just fine/offstage.) For every GP worth they send, they will get 1 XP. This loot is GONE. The queen will not give them a medal, tell her knights to do favors for them, etc., except maybe once in a very blue moon. In other words, the payoff is faster advancement without any "external benefit" of any kind.

Or they can keep the money and spend it as they will--on gear, carousing, temple donations, etc. In short, on things that have at least some chance of benefiting them immediately or later. (If you routinely carouse at the Green Griffon and shower the publican with gold to fix the holes you keep putting in the wall, he will probably grit his teeth in private and treat you handsomely in public.) Such gold gives NO XP.

So the players get to make some choices about their characters. There will be some obvious benefits to each choice (and the GM does need to make sure these choices are meaningful and even a little painful). Players also don't get to take a long time to decide. If they "give" the goods are basically gone immediately. If they bury the hoard in their secret stash, perhaps saving up for a suit of plate, and then change their mind and decide to send it to the queen later, they'll derive no XP benefit.

What do you think? Especially interested in what 5e-experienced players think of this. I'm new to 5e, was a stone 1e expert for quite a long time who then took a big break.

Last edited:

Fanaelialae

Legend
Apologies for necro-ing this thread, but it's a top Google result and presumably even more relevant after three years, given more familiarity with 5e.

My own idea is to allow 1 XP /1 GP. But I'll break it down.

Given my OS roots, to me some part of FRPG has to be about gold 'n' gems 'n' carousing. Besides, the challenges of dragging a huge haul out of the back of nowhere can lead to some truly awesome adventures.

That said, treasure absolutely *wrecks* economies, even if you know NOTHING about economies. Gygax tried to hand-wave this away by claiming it was like a gold rush town--eggs for a dollar each in 1840, etc.--but this collapses quickly if your "world" is anything more than Frontiertown and Enormous Wilderness. Also, the hyperinflation this would cause in a small medieval society is not to be sneezed at. Nor do you want characters to be able to "get rid of" that loot by sinking it into a castle. That's like driving away gremlins by spraying them with a hose. Works for a bit, then you have a MUCH bigger problem.

So you have to drain the money, but most of the ways to do so are in direct opposition to player experience quality. The problem is that a realistic solution--one that works--will quickly appear *unrealistic* to the players, doing damage to the consensual suspension of disbelief. Carousing drains a lot of dough, sure, but THAT much? Training has limits too--any reasonable PC will wonder why she shouldn't just set up as a trainer, as fast as possible. Similarly, logic would suggest a world jammed full of people who can train 3rd or below, while you'd have to be stone crazy to adventure long enough to be able to train 8th or below. And so on.

So here's my solution.
The players are frontier/West Marches types in a sandboxy environment. They're pretty loot-motivated to begin with (although not murder hoboes), but they've also been sent by a nearby ruler into the area to help bring it under her control after a devastating war. Things are a lot worse than anyone knows--she is *completely* broke (fairly common for medieval war participants, btw) and needs as much loot as you can give her, stat, or all hell will break loose again.
So the characters have a choice. They can send loot of any kind back to the queen from their frontier base. (99% of the time, this loot will get there just fine/offstage.) For every GP worth they send, they will get 1 XP. This loot is GONE. The queen will not give them a medal, tell her knights to do favors for them, etc., except maybe once in a very blue moon. In other words, the payoff is faster advancement without any "external benefit" of any kind.

Or they can keep the money and spend it as they will--on gear, carousing, temple donations, etc. In short, on things that have at least some chance of benefiting them immediately or later. (If you routinely carouse at the Green Griffon and shower the publican with gold to fix the holes you keep putting in the wall, he will probably grit his teeth in private and treat you handsomely in public.) Such gold gives NO XP.

So the players get to make some choices about their characters. There will be some obvious benefits to each choice (and the GM does need to make sure these choices are meaningful and even a little painful). Players also don't get to take a long time to decide. If they "give" the goods are basically gone immediately. If they bury the hoard in their secret stash, perhaps saving up for a suit of plate, and then change their mind and decide to send it to the queen later, they'll derive no XP benefit.

What do you think? Especially interested in what 5e-experienced players think of this. I'm new to 5e, was a stone 1e expert for quite a long time who then took a big break.

I think it's fine and functional. Most players will want to send their gold back to the queen (because xp is a powerful motivator) and therefore the local economy will remain undisturbed. It is a little boring though (roleplaying raucous carousing is simply more interesting than paying 'taxes').

As an alternative, consider the possibility that the players need to find ways to 'waste' their gold in interesting and creative ways (perhaps even grant a small xp bonus for particularly creative expenditures) but these goods and services cannot be found on the frontier. So the PCs need to order things from (or travel to) the lavish inner kingdom to spend their money, where economic disparity is already an issue and the economy isn't easily disrupted because the people you're dealing with are already absurdly wealthy (the merchant Prince is happy to take your 10,000 gp to provide you with a gold statue of yourself, but it isn't going to make his fortune). Since these people are already wealthy, there is no risk to the economy since the rich act as sponges for the gold your PCs are bringing back, preventing it from ending up in the hands of the commoners whereby it might disrupt economics and negatively impact their own wealth.

mflayermonk

First Post
Also agree it is fine.
I think, by the book, it takes (in 5e terms) about 6 levels to get 1,800 gp (a suit of plate mail).
At 1gp=1xp 1,800 xp puts a player at level 3 and 2/3.
By these estimates, advancement speed should be slowed to 60% of normal.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Having just read this thread for the first time (I must have missed its original go-round) I think I'm missing something - or several somethings.

First, is the intent here to give xp for g.p. earned (as in 1e; you got xp for what was brought back to town) or g.p. spent? There's a rather big difference between these; in that if xp is only accrued by spending there's no motivation whatsoever to save up for something big later e.g. a castle...which will dramatically reduce any long-term planning the characters might want to do.

Second, is the intent here that characters "buy" xp using g.p. they would otherwise have at their disposal? In other words, are they being forced to choose between xp advancement and buying a horse or a new suit of armour or a castle? If yes, my very first in-character questions are where do those g.p. go when I spend them on advancement followed by how do I go about finding and robbing that place? Then, on being told I can't rob the Royal Bank of Xp, I raise my previous point about long-term saving...how in this system can a character both save for something long-term like a castle and keep advancing at a rate even remotely similar to his not-so-thrifty companions?

Second, part 2; does the player get to decide how much g.p. gets plowed into xp (and when) or is this forced by the DM? I'm assuming it's a player decision...if it's DM-forced that opens up a whole other can o' worms....

Third, if xp are "bought" with g.p. then how does this work for henches and hirelings who are paid by their employer? Does my hiring a hench mean I'm automatically slowing my own potential advancement because some of my gold goes to her (which she can then turn around and spend to advance)? This, if true, seems a bit off unless your specific intent is to rid your game of henches.

Fourth, in either case above there's going to be a huge focus placed on in-party treasury division as there's now even more reason to make sure you get every last copper you deserve. And, how does a system like this handle a character who maybe doesn't report everything he finds (e.g. finds four small statues, pockets one, puts the other three into party treasury)? Do Thieves really have it that good in this system? :)

Lan-"the primary alignment in this game is Neutral Greedy"-efan

Vanveen

Explorer
(I'm talking about my proposed solution here.)

Your post goes into detail about the "experience quality" gaps I mentioned. If you get XP for *spent* treasure, e.g. on carousing and so forth, the amounts necessary quickly start to strain belief. And you're right: where does it all go? To think of robbing what is pretty much already a system hack further ruins the whole thing.

My idea is based on the "never give a sucker, I mean player, an even break" espoused by Gygax. Keep them hungry, kill them a lot, etc. 5e is a much better *product*, but 1e is a much better *game*. (So why am I not playing it? Mostly because of absolute RP noobs in my group. 5e is a lot easier to pick up, and frankly a lot easier to support/keep organized for an aging, insanely busy GM.)

So enabling a choice--and it IS a choice for each PC to make--between getting very powerful very fast and building a sustainable base seems to me to capture some of what I'm after. This is also, like I said, pretty sandboxy: that great gear and home base might be increasingly useful in a world that is not neatly segregated into gradually increasing CRs. In other words, relying on mere level power might be faster, but I suspect it will prove to be less efficient.

But who knows? Let's light the fuse and see what happens...

Hussar

Legend
Primeval Thule, which I'm running now, uses this rule, with a few expectations.

It's a very heavily Sword and Sorcery based setting, so, you're expected, as a player, to blow your money as fast as you make it. So, in keeping with expectations, if you've come into a major source of cash, you're going to start living a "lavish" lifestyle. So, you're blowing 10 GP per day on ale and whores. :D

Which to be honest, at higher levels, isn't really going to make much of a dent in your total cash. PT basically uses handwavium and tells you, as the DM, to simply take the +4 Vorpal Eraser of Editing and take away their gold after a suitable amount of time.

But, yeah, I think if you're going to do this, you need to find a big, black hole for the players to dump their money into.

The Primeval Thule campaign setting suggests givinx XP for gold, to encourage a certain style of play.

The guideline they use is tied to a treasure hoard, as defined in the DMG.

If the characters get treasure equivalent to a small hoard, according to their level, then they get XP for an easy encounter, according to their level. Moderate hoard is moderate encounterl large hoard is hard encounter; really large hoard is deadly encounter.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases