• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

XP in the SRD?

Ketjak

Malicious GM
myradale said:
Thanks to everyone, especially Bront.
Can't figure why that would be propriatary.

Because in theory the SRD only gives everything except how to create and advance characters for the D20 system. The Core Books are supposed to be the primary reference for creating characters, and noting their need on the cover and omitting character generation rules allows a publisher to put the D20 logo on their cover. If one includes character creation rules, the product is technically under the OGL and not allowed to use the D20 logo.

I think. :)

Bront

The man with the probe
Jdvn1 said:
Starting gold isn't in the SRD either. Nor is xp/level. The SRD is enough to run a game, but I don't think it replaces the DMG.
Actualy, starting gold for the psionic classes is in the SRD for some strange reason.

The SRD is limited so you technicaly still need to buy the core books. It basicly leaves out allmost all details for initial character creation (Stat rolling, point buys, starting gold, xp to advance, etc). The modern SRD is funnier, since the wealth mechnic initial generation is either in it, and/or is simple enough to not be needed anyway. Of course, modern is a bit more of a pain to flip though.

Bront

The man with the probe
Jdvn1 said:
:lol: Too many modifiers for that. The CR 8's were true CR 8's, but we definitely levelled.

My question is more, how close to L3 am I?

My initial trial run had the L1s among the party at around 2500 exp when all was said and done.

irdeggman

First Post
Ketjak said:
Because in theory the SRD only gives everything except how to create and advance characters for the D20 system. The Core Books are supposed to be the primary reference for creating characters, and noting their need on the cover and omitting character generation rules allows a publisher to put the D20 logo on their cover. If one includes character creation rules, the product is technically under the OGL and not allowed to use the D20 logo.

I think. :)

I think the following is also the main reason:

From SRD FAQs

Q: There's a lot of material in the SRD that seems too simple to copyright or comes from the public domain. Why does Wizards of the Coast call the whole thing Open Game Content (OGL)?
A: One of the objectives of the OGL/d20 project is to create a "safe harbor" that clearly identifies material that can be used, derived from, modified, and distributed without fear of litigation. To that end, the SRD contains material that is public domain, copyright, and somewhere in between. But using the OGL, it all carries with it the same, uniform set of rights, thus creating the safe harbor.

Bottom line IMO is that WotC needs people to buy their products in order to stay afloat (remember the days of darkness in the 90's when TSR actually folded :(

So basically they have been trying to imbed themselves into the market to the point they could "establish" a game mechanic that everyone can use and by using product identity with it get people interested in their (WotC) products so they can survive economincally.

So while the story for the SRD is to have a "safe harbor" it is also to ensure economic viability for the company and to serve as a "legal" document and not a rules document. I know the line is rather fine here, but looking at things from the point of history of TSR/WotC it fits.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads