Yakuza progression and powers

Vanor

First Post
Wicht said:

Is Poison Blade alright As +1 or should it be +2 to make the path more balanced with Honor?

I guess I personaly thought that a +1 for posion blade was blanced vs honor already... So I'd say leave it.

Phoenix8008 said:
It's not a matter of helping your enemy, it's helping yourself. If a Dark path fighter wants to advance, he WILL try to fight a Light path or Honor follower to do so. The same for the Dark fighters in reverse. They could even fight only the Honor/Yakuza sides and still advance while not helping their most hated enemies.
I realize that for those fighters facing promotion the incentive to fight an enemy is great, I just it will be hard for them to find a fight, if not against another fighter facing promotion. Perhaps you are right, perhaps it won't be a problem. But it might be a problem, and since we are revising the rules, I want to be extra critical. :)
Phoenix8008 said:
What if the rules were changed so that they could drop a tier from losing to anybody
Yes, that rule is broken, IMHO.

Phoenix8008 said:
but could only advance by beating an enemy?
The jury is still out on that one. ;)

Phoenix8008 said:
Wicht, what is your plan for access to the Light and dark paths? Can anyone get to them straight from White belt? That would be optimum I think. I know I disliked having to go and open a Dojo when I knew I was just going to close it soon anyway.
I agree completely.

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
Ok - what sort of buffer should the dark and light have?

And how about - the dark/light warriors can only advance a tier if they defeat a enemy fighter yakuza/dark or honor/light but losing such a match drops them 2 ranks. This would give further incentive for the villains to try and defeat the light and good guys to defeat the dark.

My in game thinking was that dark/light warriors can practice against each other but to get far they have to defeat their nemesis.

Also - the way I would like to have entry into these two paths is to require an honor warrior to first defeat a "villain" to become a Light warrior and a Yakuza to defeat a "good guy" to become a dark warrior - hence it would optimally go white belt - yellow belt 0 - dark apprentice 1

Also - does it seem like the way to go to have the choice of accepting a student or gang member be entirely up to the teacher?

Wicht said:
And how about - the dark/light warriors can only advance a tier if they defeat a enemy fighter yakuza/dark or honor/light but losing such a match drops them 2 ranks. This would give further incentive for the villains to try and defeat the light and good guys to defeat the dark.
I'm still not entirely convinced, but it's more acceptable, yes. :D
Wicht said:
Also - the way I would like to have entry into these two paths is to require an honor warrior to first defeat a "villain" to become a Light warrior and a Yakuza to defeat a "good guy" to become a dark warrior - hence it would optimally go white belt - yellow belt 0 - dark apprentice 1
That sounds good. But we also need to discuss what to do if you want your player to change paths away from the "Dark/Light" or away from "Sash" or perhaps go from good to evil. Is this only possible by voluntarily dropping back to white and start over or?
Wicht said:
Also - does it seem like the way to go to have the choice of accepting a student or gang member be entirely up to the teacher?
Oh yes, most definitely! :)

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
Wicht said:

So what if they can't find a nemesis to defeat that early? Can they slide over to the Path they want from any tier? Any time the person defeats a villain/hero they get the choice to switch to the Path of Light/Dark while staying at the same tier of power so that a Brown belt who defeats a villain for the first time can instantly switch to being a Red belt of the same rank?

Wicht

Hero
Phoenix8008 said:

So what if they can't find a nemesis to defeat that early? Can they slide over to the Path they want from any tier? Any time the person defeats a villain/hero they get the choice to switch to the Path of Light/Dark while staying at the same tier of power so that a Brown belt who defeats a villain for the first time can instantly switch to being a Red belt of the same rank?

Yes.

Besides which - if there are no villains to defeat - what would be the purpose of being a light warrior?

Phoenix8008

First Post
Well, that solves the problem of starting the reset without any higher up Light or Dark fighters which they would need to beat to advance. People can take the Path they choose and if they can find and beat a Yakuza or Honor fighter, then they can switch to being a Light/Dark fighter at that point! Could be a massive rearranging of powers if you had a high tier Honored swithch to being Light path, but it would work OK I think.

How about for the Light/Dark advancement rule, if we made this change: In oreder to advance to the next tier, they must defeat at least one fighter of opposing paths at any time during that tier! So there won't be the roadblock only at the last rank of the tier when people know they are trying to advance and could choose not to fight them just to keep them locked down in that tier. Just beat one enemy anytime in that tier and you can advance to the next tier freely. What do ya'll think? How about you especially Graydoom? Would this help at all do you think?

Phoenix8008

First Post
I know this is off topic :D, but I have a question on the Yakuza power, Poison Blade. Can it be stacked and used multiple times within the same round if the fighter has multiple uses of it available?

Just realised how much of this 'Yakuza' thread should be copied over to the Light/Dark thread! I guess this means that people don't have many other problems with the Yakuza path as posted, huh?

Wicht

Hero
I think one poisoned blade in a single round is fair enough dont you :)

Personally, I think the fighter should have to decide to switch right around the time of the significant fight - rather than putting it off - but they don't have to switch when they change tiers a green 2 could switch and become a orange 3 after they win their fight. Thus the switch can occur at any time but it is a life changing decision and if they decide the path is not for them they have to lose a whole tier to switch back to honor fighter. At least that was how I was envisioning it.

Phoenix8008

First Post
As for the Poison blade, I was just asking since it didn't specify for sure in the power description. I would make that change if I were you to avoid the question in the future.

Remove ads