Yakuza progression and powers

MidKnight

First Post
Wicht, anything there that helps out? I was thinking Oyabun for the 7th tier title, but there were lots of other titles tossed around in that article.

With the revisions you posted, Wicht, it's almost perfect.

I'm not sure about every tier (except the Oyabun (7th)) having two buffers... but I guess it's fair since the Honor path - which it mirrors have two. Still, since you are able to rise very quickly in the Yakuza (which is good!), Honor should have a slight advantage regarding the buffers.

Another (and unimportant) thing, but since we've as of yet has held the YB! theme somewhat Chinese-oriented. Perhaps this should be the Triad path?

Wicht

Hero
MidKnight said:
Wicht, anything there that helps out? I was thinking Oyabun for the 7th tier title, but there were lots of other titles tossed around in that article.

Yeah - Oyabun was what I was thinking too.

As for the chinise triad - yen is also japanese too I believe :) I just like the name Yakuza ;) But I do recognize that the shaolin concept that many seem to use is chinese.

As far as the 2nd buffer rank - Honor actually has three and the ability to drop all disgrace with one win. Both the one win rule and the 2 advancement rule is an attempt to make the game slightly less than a perfect 0 sum game (the newer white belt rules do this as well). I actually think the Honor's buffers are the more desirable of the two as it is possible for one win to effectively replace three losses.

My thoughts for light and dark are this (and you can tell me what you think) light and dark only move between tiers if they lose or win to their enemies. What I mean is the light path only advances to the next tier if they overcome a villain (yakuza or darkness) but they only drop tiers if they lose to a villain at the appropriate time. Or something along those lines and in this case no buffer for those two paths.

Thanks for the clarifications. I am 100% for it now. :)

I don't think it is entirely a good idea that Light and Darkness only transcends the tiers when fighting each other as a Light (for example) fighter on the verge of moving to the next lower tier can fight any non-Dark fighter without any risk, and therefore there is no incitament for them to fight a Dark fighter... thus we won't see many Light or Dark fighters ever going down in the tiers. (You also risk the losing on purpose to advance other fighters.)

Conversely, since the Light and Darkness is in opposition I would think it very likely that some sort of pact is made that no one fights a fighter from the other side if that fight could advance the fighter from the other side to next tier. Thus, it might be very hard for the fighters facing promotion to find a fight.

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
Wicht,

I like these Yakuza rules after the revisions. I would change the name of Perfect Defense to something more in flavor with the Yakuza path. The ability itself is fine though.

I also like you're ideas for gaining and losing ranks and teirs for the Light and Dark paths if I understand them correctly. Is this right: A Light path fighter can gain ranks within a tier by defeating anyone in battle but to go up to the next tier they must defeat a Dark or Yakuza path follower? Also, they have no disgrace ranks, but can only drop to a lower tier if defeated by an enemy path fighter while at the 0 level of their current tier?

If this is right and applies to both Light and Dark paths, then it's great. No longer can the bad guys just sit back and wait to pick off white belts. They would have to fight to advance as well! Now there would be good reason to be battling between the Light and Dark on regular occasion! Awesome!! :D

Although it does make it hard for a Light or Dark path fighter to drop tiers as they could just avoid fighting an enemy at that time. Maybe a bigger penelty for losing to an enemy path fighter could be used?

Phoenix8008

First Post
Left-handed Hummingbird said:
Conversely, since the Light and Darkness is in opposition I would think it very likely that some sort of pact is made that no one fights a fighter from the other side if that fight could advance the fighter from the other side to next tier. Thus, it might be very hard for the fighters facing promotion to find a fight.

If they did this then all of them would stay in the first tier of their paths as both sides need to beat an enemy to go up a tier. The only other problem I see is if there is a vastly unequal amount of fighters on one side or the other. If the current YB landscape were translated into these rules, no Light path fighter could advance until there was some evil to fight in the land.

Maybe we need to have some NPC's created when YB resets to rectify this. Have a list of generic fighters (one for each tier in each path? or at least for the light and dark?) until someone's PC fighter reaches that level, then they dissapear to meditate forever more like Nemm? ;) Anybody could play the opposing NPC fighter if they needed to fight someone for advancement I guess. Would that work?

Wicht

Hero
The rules have been edited to add...

Oyuban as the 7th tier name, the second buffer and changed Perfect Defense to Cunning Defense.

Is Poison Blade alright As +1 or should it be +2 to make the path more balanced with Honor?

Phoenix8008 said:
If they did this then all of them would stay in the first tier of their paths as both sides need to beat an enemy to go up a tier.
Exactly! Why would you help your enemy? No, this in addition to the problem of never going down in tiers if you don't fight the wrong people, really makes me think this is a bad idea.

Phoenix8008 said:
Maybe we need to have some NPC's created when YB resets
hmmm... I'm not sure I think that is a good idea.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Left-handed Hummingbird said:
Exactly! Why would you help your enemy? No, this in addition to the problem of never going down in tiers if you don't fight the wrong people, really makes me think this is a bad idea.

It's not a matter of helping your enemy, it's helping yourself. If a Dark path fighter wants to advance, he WILL try to fight a Light path or Honor follower to do so. The same for the Dark fighters in reverse. They could even fight only the Honor/Yakuza sides and still advance while not helping their most hated enemies. What if the rules were changed so that they could drop a tier from losing to anybody, but could only advance by beating an enemy?

As for the NPC's, it was just an idea off the top of my head when I thought about what would happen right after the reset with the possibility of no enemies to fight.

Wicht, what is your plan for access to the Light and dark paths? Can anyone get to them straight from White belt? That would be optimum I think. I know I disliked having to go and open a Dojo when I knew I was just going to close it soon anyway.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases