(YB-Meta-Rules) Honor Path progressions and powers

MidKnight

First Post
I think that dojos should be susceptible to losing their dojo styles because of a dishonorable status. The record keeping isn't all that bad - most yellow belts posted back into their respective dojo threads when they completed a match and informed the master of their status. Then the green belt would update their dojo record - I even went as far as keepping a dojo fight record, just in case there was ever a question. Brown belts could easily adjust their status from there.

Wicht

Hero
Oathbound?

How many actually want rules for oathbound and how many just want to leave that aspect of it up to role-playing, or how many would rather keep the oathbound out of honor and Yakuza but work it into darkness and light somehow?

I don't care for rules about Oathbonds. I would like to keep that aspect in the realm of roleplaying if it is possible, but I'm not sure I have grasped the concept of Oathbonds in it's entirety. You share wins and losses, but is there any other implications?

As to Dishonored dojo's, I say drop the rule.

MidKnight

First Post
Not sure.

I would need to see the concepts behind the other progressions before I could decide on that. But If you follow what the yakuza are like then you'll see that within the clans they are ultra-loyal.

And with the honored progression, it just seems to make sense. This is the path that supports dojos, so why not personal oaths of honor?

On the other hand, I don't necessarily like the oathbound rules as they are (not even close.) I think that the higher rank individual should have the final word about allowing someone to become oathbound with them. Maybe there are personal reasons for not wanting to be oathbound with this person, or they are just afraid of them dragging them down because of foolish moves (the brotherhood of light comes to mind here - if there would have been an enlightened master around, how much you wanna bet that they would have ALL swore oaths to him/her, and then leapt to their demises at the hands of the dark wolf?)

To me, if the concepts for the light and dark progressions follow closely to the path warriors, then the oathbound doesn't make much sense (never thought it belonged there in the first place.) My simple reason was that this was supposed to be the path of the lone warrior, not a band of warriors - that makes me think of the honored path (with dojos and all.)

I guess that if the oathbound stuff makes it in, cool. But I wouldn't miss it all that much if it didn't (just glad that I don't have to deal with that one just yet.)

Phoenix8008

First Post
I think the Oath stuff should either be dropped or massively fixed. If it's kept, then both sides should at least have a choice in the matter and both sides should get some benefit. I would be fine with it being a RPing only aspect though. It would fit better with the Honor and Yakuza paths if it was going to be used though, since the Light and Dark are supposed to be single warriors mostly.

As for the Dishonored Dojo thing, it's not much of a penelty to only lose your current Dojo style that hasn't been mastered. If they are gonna suffer a penelty, make it a harsher one. They could lose access to all styles that they gained through the dojo, not just the one they are still learning. What is the IC reason for not using this style while dishonored anyway? I would think that a fighter would be out to prove his dojo style is worthy and honorable, not hiding it away in disgrace. Explain the IC reason behind the rule and let's see if there is a good reason for it to be there.

Last edited:

Lady Diamond

First Post
Phoenix8008 said:
As for the Dishonored Dojo thing, it's not much of a penelty to only lose your current Dojo style that hasn't been mastered. If they are gonna suffer a penelty, make it a harsher one. They could lose access to all styles that they gained through the dojo, not just the one they are still learning. What is the IC reason for not using this style while dishonored anyway? I would think that a fighter would be out to prove his dojo style is worthy and honorable, not hiding it away in disgrace. Explain the IC reason behind the rule and let's see if there is a good reason for it to be there.

So I've been digging around in the rules a bit this morning, and I wonder (if this was addressed somewhere I missed it).. and right now I'm buggy-eyed from goin' through all these path progressions and "odds and ends" and all the discussion..

are we keeping the "rule that I never saw addressed anywhere officially ", that when an honored/light fighter with no disgrace fights a villain and loses then the honored fighter gains no disgrace from it, only a loss?

If so, then there's more than an IC reason involved in the dishonored dojo discussion IMO.

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
Lady Diamond said:

are we keeping the "rule that I never saw addressed anywhere officially ", that when an honored/light fighter with no disgrace fights a villain and loses then the honored fighter gains no disgrace from it, only a loss?

I didn't keep it as I personally think the light have the best buffer in the current system - three buffer ranks with one win cleaning the slate.

Remove ads