[yb2-meta] Generator Talk

MidKnight

First Post
Thanks Jin - you just hit the nail on the head...

I firmly support changing the generator to contain defenses that are a little more conforming with offenses. And I agree that while some of the defenses sound cool, they have absolutely no bearing what-so-ever against any offense - they're just there to sound cool.

Lets keep the cool sounding stuff in the IC flavor text, where it belongs, and make the defenses a little more formidable.

BTW - Just when is this discussion supposed to occur???

Vanor

First Post
A gen chat is a good idea. But unless people like Wicht, myself and midknight are there. I don't think you should take what is decided on in chat to be the final decision.

This is everyones game, but we have master and grandmaster judges for a reason. I just think that things like this should be done on the msg board and not in IRC, which will automaticly excude a number of people no matter what time you pick.

I personaly think the generator is mostly fine as is... I don't see any real reason to change it. But that's just me perhaps.

reiella

Explorer
Is that you volunteering to show up Vanor? :p

[ Sidenote, iirc, 47 didn't show up for all that long if at all for the genchats in the past either....and iirc aside from KD I was the only master judge there :p. ]

Last edited:

Lady Diamond

First Post
Looks like you're getting comments, I think that's cool. As weird as my schedule is going to be this week, I doubt I can be around when a chat is scheduled. Since you wanted (and received) commentary on the boards the comments should count as much as if the people who can't make it to the chat for one reason or another have already spoken their piece on the issue IMO.

If it happens to work out that I can get to chat when the meeting takes place I'll try to be there.

Vanor

First Post
reiella said:
Is that you volunteering to show up Vanor? :p

[ Sidenote, iirc, 47 didn't show up for all that long if at all for the genchats in the past either....and iirc aside from KD I was the only master judge there :p. ]

No, because I think the generator is fine as is. Other then spelling issues.

And for the last generator discussion, most of that had been decided on the msg board prior to any meeting on IRC.

All I was trying to say, is the discussion should be held here and not on IRC, so no one is excluded.

Also with the last revision of the generator, it was decided that the defenses wouldn't be releated to the styles, as it could cause too much confusion... So there wouldn't be dragon or tiger or whatnot in the defense table, as it would cause too much confusion.

I personaly don't think that having the defenses line up with the styles, is a good idea. It could encourage fishing... If you know that by having "reptile" in your defense, you would most likely win a round against a dragon move, then it would be more tempting to fish for a move with that in it.

reiella

Explorer
Well Vanor, there have been comments both ways.

And even if you do feel it is fine, then show up if only for stating that, and there could well instances that are not to your liking that you didn't realize, or more people who dislike some of the potential.

As for dragon, in one way a good example, but also poor, since dragon does actually currently have a mirror in the defensive table, and many other styles do as well in fact... I think that more some are concerned that some styles may be not represented in the nouns table (for defensive structures), thus making them 'more powerful', or that some styles just seem to lack a defensive state. And no, in the last generator it was not decided that the defensive nouns would be not related to the styles because of confusion. It was decided they would not explicitly state the styles (or locations)... Not items related :), or else we wouldn't have cat, weapon (wide variety of weapon based 'defenses'), snow, stars, steel, four winds, root, willow, wyrm, air, bamboo, leaf, amphibian, ape, bird, canine, reptile, rodent, vermin...

Oi fun, another duplicated entry in the noun table (willow).

In most there is little I care either way about, but I've seen enough comments being made at least in the chat to be concerned about it. And it is easier to have a discussion (especially one with arguments or disputes) over a chat session than over the boards with lag time and less immediate conversation.

The oddities of the past talk came about simply from a few quotes and a few people agreeing that there were some oddities were a bit much, the specifics of the changes were decided in the chat room (notably compressing the verb table down significantly along with a few other target lists).

Will bother to mention that beyond any sort of discussion, anything that would have a rules based result will just end up with a post here making some suggestions with observations...

Also Diamond, sorry ya won't be able, but post your schedule all the same. Will see how the number of people willing to actually consider the generator and when they can show.

[ Add ]
In all, if you are interested, post your timeframe. So we can arrange sometime for it.

Also sorry for coming off as forceful and aggressive on this as I have, but it seems to be the only way I can get comments at all.

Last edited:

Lady Diamond

First Post
Also sorry for coming off as forceful and aggressive on this as I have, but it seems to be the only way I can get comments at all.

*dryly* Well gee I wonder why. No, actually after this I don't wonder any more.

All times are CST.

My schedule - sleep after 9PM tonight
Work - 4am to noon Tuesday
sleep - 2PM to 9PM, eat something, get ready for work
work - 11PM to 7AM Wedsday, dentists appt afterward (I expect to be there for at least an hour and a half)
sleep - noon to 7PM, eat dinner, maybe 1 hour free after 8PM (I'd like to use that for homework if it's ok with you)
work - 11PM to 7AM Thursday, sleep, go to school, go to work
work - 11PM to 7AM Friday, sleep, eat something, go to work
work - 11PM to 7AM Saturday, class after that for 4 hours, sleep hopefully

Sundays and Mondays are my days off, those are the days I possibly attend meetings. I can *sometimes* get to chat from work but that's also when most US folks are asleep.

reiella

Explorer
Heh fair enough.

I've made earlier posts regarding this, and they poofed away to decay... So needing to force the issue to have it addressed at all...

And not like being forceful helps me out any.. Anycase, anyone else able to before I start looking over timeframes....

Going to start looking over the timeframes people have presented and the couple others I've seen in chat.

I would like for people who have differing opinions on this to show up so maybe at least some compromise or understanding between the views could be reached for some aspects.

Will also be easy enough to keep in experimental form for a while for people to look at and make comments on before going 'live'...

Last edited:

Remove ads