D&D 5E Yeenoghu Campaign ideas

Tyler Dunn

Explorer
I like the idea of a campaign centered around gnolls and their master Yeenoghu. Can anyone give me some ideas for a campaign centered around Yeenoghu and his gnolls, preferably one that ends with the players squaring off against the demon lord himself?

dave2008

Legend
I like the idea, just not sure how to help - yet. I will think on it. If you are familiar with Firefly, I typically run gnolls like the reavers from that show. The ultimate boogeymen, even the bag guys fear them because they are just wanton slaughter and carnage, and you never know when they could strike.

Hmmm... Since Yeenoghu's blood turns hyenas into gnolls, maybe someone is figuring out how to weaponize and mass deliver it (Yeenoghu blood rains or somesuch), potentially creating a massive gnoll army?

FXR

Explorer
I'm toying with a similar idea.

What if Yeenoghu had started to litteraly eat the world to quench his hunger? Bit by bit, the world would disappear. Perhaps, at first, some stars do not appear in the sky, then it's an acre of land in some desert, then a lake, then a village, followed by a city.

Hmmm... Since Yeenoghu's blood turns hyenas into gnolls, maybe someone is figuring out how to weaponize and mass deliver it (Yeenoghu blood rains or somesuch), potentially creating a massive gnoll army?
I like this idea. Perhaps the PCs get involved when they investigate a seemingly innocent conservation project to breed hyenas? Or maybe market them as the new must have pet?

aco175

Legend
Part of the series can involve stopping some sort of ritual or portal that can convert other species to a gnoll-like monster. Something like a ogre-gnoll that can challenge to mid-levels. This stopping the conversion plague (or a cooler name) can be a good sub plot that opens the main threat of stopping the demon lord from finally gathering enough followers to summon himself to the material plane.

I won't spoil the details for the sake of those who haven't seen/played it yet, but you should check out Decent into Avernus. You will not be disappointed, and it could easily be adapted to make what you want more central to the story.

Remove ads