YES! Chronomancy is coming back.

But it sounds like they won't even have time travel. How do you have Chronomancy without time travel?

Chronomancy is being written right now, after someone finally submitted a system which did not involve wizards buggering up a long term campaign by messing with time travel.

That doesn't sound encouraging.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
I dunno, but I'm not a fan of time travel for any game setting that doesn't have a very long and involved history. Usually, this means the setting has to be out for a few years. So Chronomancy without time travel would suit me well.

Chronomancy = time magic. Aside from haste, slow, time stop, and temporal stasis (i.e., speeding things up or slowing things down), what else can you do aside from time travel? Maybe I just misconstrued Matt Sprange's comment.

clockworkjoe

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Chronomancy = time magic. Aside from haste, slow, time stop, and temporal stasis (i.e., speeding things up or slowing things down), what else can you do aside from time travel? Maybe I just misconstrued Matt Sprange's comment.

I can think of a few uses:

1. Temporal prediction: See what will happen in the next few rounds. Extremely useful for dodging missiles like arrows and the like. "He's going to shoot here here and here so I'll be there there and over there."

2. Aging attacks

3. Instant research time. You pop into a pocket dimension with all your research materials and spend as much time as you need to research X. When you finish you pop out and look you only spent 1 minute in there!

4. Divination magic: duh.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
I don't think you misconstrued it, or at least if you did I interpreted it the same way.

Chronomancy could alter spell casting times and durations. It could be variants of haste and slow (e.g. making an area slow instead of a specific person). It could allow the caster to "grab" items forward or backward in time. There's also divinational applications. You could also try to pull off tricks like have the caster make copies of himself.

OK, I'll grant you that's a short list and sort of redundant with your post. Regardless, I think time travel is a big can of worms that most games do very poorly. The only one I saw that I liked was "Timemaster" from Pacesetter games (they are the guys who first did Chill) and even then it wasn't that good until a supplement came out expanding the role of time travel.

Creeping Death

First Post
Chronomancy

That's too bad they are not dealing with time travel. The campaign world that I'm designing has a nice history. I designed it with the 2e Chronomancy in mind. I wanted to give the players lots of options. One of the things that I pictured was them going to the future to find out how a certain foe was defeated then coming back with that knowledge and "changing" the future by using that knowledge to defeat the foe now.

The chronomancy book gave several ideas of how to preserve the time line of the past. One of the examples they gave, was to go back and kill an evil General that ravaged the country side. Once that was done to pcs go back to their time and find history slightly changed. It turns out that the General was not the real head of the invading army but his liutenants were. He was just a puppet. So aside from the Leader of the Army changing, everything else is the same. Anyways, too bad they are leaving out the time travel bit. Looks like I'll have to convert that myself.

Creeping Death

Remove ads