YES! Chronomancy is coming back.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
BiggusGeekus said:

Grooooaaaan.

Heh. Who wants to be that Wolfspider just nailed the line they'll use in the ads? ;)

Well, if course, if it's good enough for the guys advertising the new time machine movie, it's good enough for Mongoose.

(OT: If your wanting to make a new time machine movie, why make it less like the the book than the original? Shouldn't you strive for closer to the book?)

thundershot

Adventurer
<pauses>

<thinks>

Okay, so... I guess this is good and bad for me. Good, because I'll have a nice book for Chronomancy, and I won't have to make my own stuff...

Bad because... well... I felt I was finally doing something different... I suppose the adventure I'm working on can work without the need for the time magic. At least not as a PrC...

Of course, if there's enough Open Gaming Content in this, I may be able to work around it...

In any case, this will be the first product from Mongoose that I purchase. :D

As it is... I think I'll continue to write my adventure, and hope when I'm done, there's somewhere to submit it. :D

Chris

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
If one were to have time travel (backwards in time), I think you would have to carefully consider how memory would work.

I'm thinking that if past events cause present memories and motivations, then if the PC's go and change the past, they will change their memories and it won't be clear why they decided to go into the past. In other words, they would have to remember something that would have happened but didn't really, and then act to ensure that it still doesn't happen.

Their actions in the past cannot eliminate themselves or their ability to travel in time. I see them as being compelled to follow a script that leave the time-line substantially unchanged, but perhaps with a few little quirks. Remember in "Back to the Future" where the "Twin Pines" mall changes to "Lone Pine" mall because of Michael J. Fox's actions?

Maybe if they try to depart too far from the "script" everything turns all hazy and wonky- meanwhile all the denizens of that time are reacting to what the character is supposed to have been doing.

So I would probably have at least two feats dealing with memory; "prophetic memory" (to remember a possible future) and "paradoxical memory" (to remember an alternate history).

If characters have access to paradoxical memory they will know why they need to do what they need to do, and so paradoxes are avoided. If they have a prophetic memory they will know what minimal actions to take to nudge the time-line in the right direction. I imagine that a common action will be to hide some important item in the past so that it can be retrieved in the present. Or supply a motivation for a key NPC to take an action in the present that he or she otherwise would not have done. Like, say you need to befriend a guard now- go back in time and make friends with him at a more opportune time.

Just my two cents.

Remove ads