D&D 5E Yes to factionalism. No to racism.

Yaarel

He Mage
Community isn't well-defined either, and might be too small for a world-spanning game. Nation is probably better as a baseline.
A "nation" is too large and vague, mechanically. To try assign specific mechanics to every member of an entire nation is the same thing as an ethnic stereotype. It would be begging for Visanti-like problematics.

Dividing a nation up into diverse kinds of "communities" allows more fluidity and openness to adaptation and evolution. Plus it is more realistic and has better verisimilitude for game play.

The only mechanic I would be comfortable assigning to an entire "nation" is a language, or perhaps a dialect of a language. But D&D purposefully simplifies (and racializes) languages into a small number. So language as a culture-defining tool is less available in 5e.

A "community" is purposefully flexible. It can cover anything from a religious institution, to a governing body, to a military order, to an ethnic neighborhood, to an educational academy, to a nightclub scene, to any kind of human(oid) "culture".

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
A "nation" is too large and vague, mechanically. To try assign specific mechanics to every member of an entire nation is the same thing as an ethnic stereotype. It would be begging for Visanti-like problematics.

Dividing a nation up into diverse kinds of "communities" allows more fluidity and openness to adaptation and evolution. Plus it is more realistic and has better verisimilitude for game play.

The only mechanic I would be comfortable assigning to an entire "nation" is a language, or perhaps a dialect of a language. But D&D purposefully simplifies (and racializes) languages into a small number. So language as a culture-defining tool is less available in 5e.

A "community" is purposefully flexible. It can cover anything from a religious institution, to a governing body, to a military order, to an ethnic neighborhood, to an educational academy, to a nightclub scene, to any kind of human(oid) "culture".
Fair enough. How many of these cultures do you need then? How many pages are dedicated to them?

Yaarel

He Mage
Fair enough. How many of these cultures do you need then? How many pages are dedicated to them?

As a rule of thumb.

The DM might have three communities in mind, in detail, including internal factions and respective prominent backgrounds. Plus ten more communities with a superficial impression. A DM can handwaive (even ignore) other communities beyond the thirteen.

If it is a world setting, the thirteen communities might be the prominent species. If it is a regional setting, the communities might be the prominent nations. If a local setting, the communities might be the prominent institutions. It depends on the setting.

Start small, and work outward from there, as the players explore and engage the diversity.

Note, Strixhaven is a local setting with five main communities. But as DM I would still only focus on three of them in detail. The other two I would engage less. Later on, I might swap which three I am paying close attention to.

With regard to the Players Handbook, I prefer the core rules to be as setting-agnostic as possible.

In the core rules, setting-specific backgrounds seem less helpful. I am comfortable with a list of (thirteen?) flexible medieval backgrounds in the Players Handbook. I might update it to add Farmer, Oracle, and a magical background. Also showcase the very different kinds of "asset" that each background can offer, including spell knowledge. Then add a note that the DM may have other backgrounds available and also grant benefits for a background depending on the adventure setting.

I am glad the designers now emphasize the cultures of each species depends on the setting. The drow cultures in one region of Forgotten Realms might be different from the drow cultures in an other region of Forgotten Realms, nevermind in Eberron and in Dark Sun.

I like cultural details in a setting guide or an adventure book, and culture-building tools in the DMs Guide.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Isn't the whole point that things are never going to be as cut and dried as you want?

You're always going to have a situation where every decision/event is unique, because this isn't a video game, you don't have X morality points for Y action. Indeed, RPGs have tried that, like Vampire: The Masquerade, and I can assure you, it works extremely badly unless you have a Storyteller who is willing to ignore the system and use their brain instead. I mean, some (most?) versions of Humanity literally made it worse to take a golf club to some dude's BMW than to take the same golf club to owner of said BMW's face.

Demanding fixed morality stuff like that just really doesn't end well.
I dunno. I'm pretty sure executing lawful good priests without any sort of trial is evil. The amount of mental jujitsu required to try to work around that is pretty impressive.

See, it's never "oh, well, he only killed one priest, so, he's not evil." The fact that he killed a priest like that makes the character evil because a good character wouldn't do that.

Then again, I've seen people try to justify good alignments on Belkar from Order of the Stick. :erm: And all sorts of clearly evil characters. "I like this character, so, it can't possibly be evil" seems very much at the heart of most alignment debates.

I dunno. I'm pretty sure executing lawful good priests without any sort of trial is evil. The amount of mental jujitsu required to try to work around that is pretty impressive.
I don't think them being "Lawful Good" has much to do with anything. Are they innocent or guilty or what? It would be very easy to be LN and execute the hell out of LG people who ended up on the wrong side of the law.

Executing Chaotic Evil people "without any sort of trial" is potentially just as Evil and it's takes mental ninjitsu to pretend it isn't, frankly.

Can you be more specific?

Do you mean that in a given campaign, the DM is only using Drow a small number of times and they all come from the same group? Fair enough. No problems.

Or, do you mean you are world building, where you have Drow states comprising of thousands, if not tens of thousands of individuals spread across multiple communities? In which case, the single faction idea gets a whole lot less interesting.
Not being confrontational with my question. I am just really curious what people think. I will be more specific:

In a fantasy world, where there is no internet Facetime or mass airline travel; where gods exert their influence with tactics much stronger than a political rally where everyone votes the same; can a nation of 50,000 drow living underground, cut off from the outside world except when they raid - can they almost all be evil?

Thank you for helping me clarify. Context is king.

Hussar

Legend
I don't think them being "Lawful Good" has much to do with anything. Are they innocent or guilty or what? It would be very easy to be LN and execute the hell out of LG people who ended up on the wrong side of the law.

Executing Chaotic Evil people "without any sort of trial" is potentially just as Evil and it's takes mental ninjitsu to pretend it isn't, frankly.
Well, true. Fair enough. Executing anyone without a trial is evil, full stop. A Lawful Neutral character would be acting very out of character to execute someone without due process. However, the point here is executing someone without due process is neither lawful nor good.

Which means that alignment gets really difficult to justify. If it's just "well, sometimes someone might act this way" then it's pointless because you can simply claim that this or that is an "exception" and that the character is still whatever alignment you want to claim.

Alignment is an idea whose time has very much passed and I, for one, am very glad to see it getting gently nudged out of the game.

Scribe

Legend

The incident in question I believe, and I've quick clicked through this multiple times so it may be flawed.

Desna Priests/Faithful received warning of issue with the Wardstone.
Desna Priests take it to the authorities.
Desna Priests are rebuffed.
Desna Priests break the law.

Now, if thats the way it went, and I think it is but I've got a blinding headache and dont want to play through it again right now, then as far as a LN Inquisitor is concerned, its 'Guilty'.

Then fast forward, the city is in flames, hes been 'proven' right in his eyes, and everywhere he looks there are Cultists and Demons, and hes been attacked by one at least.

Thats the scenario where you find him talking to the Desna Priest, ready to drop some judgment.

Remove ads