Yet another Ghostbusters movie

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I've always wondered why people focus this criticism on the 80's

maybe its a British thing but does anyone remember the Carry On movies? starting in 1958 with Carry On Nurse and ranging right up to 1992 - they're all bowdlerized tiddy comedies and if anything exemplified rape culture its them

While it doesnt justify 'rape culture' in anyway, if you go back far enough then Chaucer and before him Aristophanes were also creating plays and works full of sexual innuendo and :tiddys too

Zardnaar

Legend

maybe its a British thing but does anyone remember the Carry On movies? starting in 1958 with Carry On Nurse and ranging right up to 1992 - they're all bowdlerized tiddy comedies and if anything exemplified rape culture its them

While it doesnt justify 'rape culture' in anyway, if you go back far enough then Chaucer and before him Aristophanes were also creating plays and works full of sexual innuendo and :tiddys too

80's kids were the first to use the internet en masse and the 80s were when things like blockbusters bbwcame big. Basically after Jaws and Star Wars in the 70s. Home computers as well.

80s was also video games becoming mainstream. It's the foundation of modern pop culture. My older brother and sister for example are not gamers I got an Atari 83 or so.

I always wanted to have a sequel to the original Ghostbusters movies.

While "The Real Ghostbusters" cartoon continued the stories (and some of the episodes were very good too), a live action film sequel is always the best.

The cartoon did deal with what it was like inside the containment machine, IIRC.

It would be very interesting what they can add to the ghostbuster's mythos.

I want to see future movies build more on the mythos, and create mythos their own. But that would take talented writers and a minimum of effort.

You absolutely make a point. Heck, The Honeymooners had the threat of domestic violence as one of their recurring jokes.

I think the reason the 80s get singled out is that it was right when the idea that this isn’t okay was starting to finally hit mainstream culture, so you had both the past and the future existing uneasily together.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
E. The reason that they are getting attention is because these ( h/t @Zardnaar ) are often the foundations to a lot of "nerd culture" and the people who grew up consuming it are now in charge of making and approving culture today, not to mention that a lot of people are discussing it, and some people feel protective about it.

F. That protective issue is hard to grapple with. A lot of people feel personally invested in this, as if pointing out that there are ... well, issues with things in childhood somehow means that they, themselves, have the same issues. Which isn't the case!

The 80s were formative culture for people who are now coming into middle age, and most of nerd culture. And this board is loaded with? Nerds coming into being middle aged. Go figure the issues of the 80s would be highlighted.

In addition, in this particular case, the original movie had issues, and some responses to the 2016 movie... failed to show how well we'd improved on those issues over the intervening decades.

the original movie had issues, and some responses to the 2016 movie... failed to show how well we'd improved on those issues over the intervening decades.

I don't think that is as important as the movie just being a good follow up the original Ghostbusters movies... which it wasn't. I also don't think these sorts of issues should be (ab)used to deflect genuine criticism of the movie.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
to deflect genuine criticism of the movie.
In the original thread on the most recent GB movie, I predicted it would not be as good as the original, based on the cast working together before (or not).
My comment disappeared without a trace or reply.

oni no won

First Post
I did not bother watching the all female version of ghostbusters because it just felt like they were just banking on the trend of switching gender and/or race. I heard it sucked. However, I like that this upcoming movie is a next generation thing where the things that happened in the 80's movie version had come to pass in this upcoming iteration.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I like that this upcoming movie is a next generation thing where the things that happened in the 80's movie version had come to pass in this upcoming iteration.
One possible opening hook is that Sigorney Weaver's child (daughter? I forget) has "ghost radar", knows that spooks were empowered during her conception … and has no idea what to do - or how to feel - about the fact that she is therefore 'special'. As the camera begins showing events, a spook oozes out of the wall and looks around her apartment's living room.

The early part of the movie is her trying to find Mom - and then the original Ghostbusters - to get answers. Somebody (Dan Ackroyd?) gives her now-sadly-departed Egon's equipment and a thick sheaf of notes, and 'commissions' her in the business.

Remove ads