Yet another Ghostbusters movie

trappedslider

Adventurer
[video=youtube;g4lT3LEimWk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4lT3LEimWk[/video]

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/16/18185309/ghostbusters-sequel-jason-reitman-2020

Sony Pictures has tapped Jason Reitman (the son of Ivan Reitman, who directed the original 1984 film) to direct a sequel set in the world of the original Ghostbusters. It’s planned for a summer 2020 release.

Looks like it will ignore 2016...it was an okay movie IMO, but to me it didn't feel like the cast had the same chemistry as the original cast did.

He tells EW, “This is the next chapter in the original franchise. It is not a reboot. What happened in the ‘80s happened in the ‘80s, and this is set in the present day.”

and Reitman is looking to cast two male and two female teenagers for the film.

If it's aiming for a 2020 release it's gonna be quickly done....so my hopes are low..low enough that you could step over the bar....

Imaculata

Adventurer
I'm tempted to say that it would be really hard for this to be worse than the recent reboot, but I guess I shouldn't underestimate the incompetence of Sony.

Janx

Adventurer
Only a direct descendant can guide this franchise to success, or we shall all be dooooooooomed.

Doooooooomed!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
While I’m not one of those who insist the original team reform (one’s dead, and have you *seen* how old Bill Murray is now?) I’m also not keen on the teenagers approach.

Ralif Redhammer

Adventurer
This bit of art pretty succinctly illustrates my feelings on that:

1391.jpg

I enjoyed the female-led reboot quite a bit. I do think not connecting it to the original two films was a mistake. But completely ignoring it with this new film seems pretty darn tone-deaf in this day and age.

While I’m not one of those who insist the original team reform (one’s dead, and have you *seen* how old Bill Murray is now?) I’m also not keen on the teenagers approach.

lowkey13

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
So, I'm mildly interested.

Jason Reitman has some decent to good movies under his belt-
Thank You for Smoking (Very Good)
Juno (Good)
Up In the Air (Very Good)
Young Adult (Didn't See)
Labor Day (Didn't See)
Men, Women & Children (Didn't See)
Tully (Very Good)
The Front Runner (I like it, but I might have been the only one)

He has the love for the franchise (son of Ivan).

So ... maybe? With a good script, it could be good. I'm hoping, because I would think it would have to be special to draw him into blockbusterland.

That said, I would've liked to see the all-star female cast get another go at it with a better script. :(

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I enjoyed the female-led reboot quite a bit. I do think not connecting it to the original two films was a mistake. But completely ignoring it with this new film seems pretty darn tone-deaf in this day and age.
I enjoyed the 2016 Ghostbusters, but the only character with the same zany pull as the original three ghostbusters was Holtzmann. (Sorry, I like Zeddemore, but he didn't have the same oomph as the others.)

I didn't come away with feeling it was unrelated, just that it was only loosely related. There was comments from the federal (?) official that this sort of thing had happened before and had been covered up / amazed what people forgot. Sort of a nod that the earlier movie(s) happened without having to build on the later movies in the franchise.

Ralif Redhammer

Adventurer
I thought they all did a good job, but Holtzmann was assuredly the stand-out character of the movie.

Instead of "not connecting it to the original two films," perhaps I should've said “not keeping it in continuity with…”

I enjoyed the 2016 Ghostbusters, but the only character with the same zany pull as the original three ghostbusters was Holtzmann. (Sorry, I like Zeddemore, but he didn't have the same oomph as the others.)

I didn't come away with feeling it was unrelated, just that it was only loosely related. There was comments from the federal (?) official that this sort of thing had happened before and had been covered up / amazed what people forgot. Sort of a nod that the earlier movie(s) happened without having to build on the later movies in the franchise.

MarkB

Hero
In terms of both sound and visuals the teaser definitely makes it clear that yes, this is your daddy's Ghostbusters. Which could be good, or could just wind up being an attempt to rehash the original movie wholesale.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So it would seem. It seems like the reboot cycle is getting faster and faster. Still grumpy about what DC did with Constantine/Hellblazer.
You don’t have to watch them. It’s not like Hollywood doesn’t churn out hundreds of original films every year too.

Ralif Redhammer

Adventurer
No, true, I do not (Nor do I have to post complaining about it, but here we stand). And honestly, there have been some remakes I've enjoyed. But then something like the Your Name remake gets announced, and it makes me grumpy all over again.

You don’t have to watch them. It’s not like Hollywood doesn’t churn out hundreds of original films every year too.

Eltab

Explorer
Proposed tie-in: One of the teens is summoned to a lawyer's office because of something about a will. They have inherited a big suitcase: a Ghostbuster proton pack, with instructions (yes, Ramis' character's stuff). The strange things begin to happen when the teen takes it back to his/her apartment, in a high-rise which is being renovated. The structure of the building has a certain amount of the alloy that made the original building into Spook Central and drew Gozer's attention. Ghosts start showing up, "leaking out of the walls". The teen has to read the instructions while looking for friends to help out with a 'defumigation' of the place. Some original stars could put in cameos; Sigourney Weaver could provide actually-helpful information, such as a lead on where the ambulance (plus more gear stored inside it) was parked.

Advertisement