D&D (2024) You own D&D

Scribe

Legend
Let's say you won that 1.5 billion lottery and bought D&D. What do you do with it?

1. What I had been doing for the last 10 years.
2. Looking into how I could add value to the brand name.
3. Rebuild the actual D&D settings, bring their canon forward, instead of disowning it.
4. Leverage multi-media to then present those settings as "D&D".

That way, I have more than a name to bank on.

Sacrosanct

Legend
For me, I know I'm an old school guy with fondness for those old games, but I also know that if I own D&D, the brand is important, and so is growing the player base. That means I need to really pay attention to what new gamers are doing and what they like.

The first thing I'd do is keep the core team in place. Give them job security, and they've done a great job. Then I'd have one-on-ones with some of the folks who have been in WoTC for a long time even if they aren't currently employees: Jeremy, Chris, Lisa, etc and get their input on who should be running it. One thing I learned years ago in the military, and again as a manager in the corporate world, is listen to the folks who are in the trenches. They will be much more efficient and happy workers if you make them feel invested in the product, and and if they feel like their input matters.

I'd hire personalities like Ginny D as actual employees (with employee benefits) to keep doing what they do. Not only keep their revenue for their own streaming stuff, but pay them extra to act as an ambassador for the game. A two-way ambassador. Give players feedback from the company, and give the company feedback from the people.

Have a full time crew for live streaming focusing on teaching the game and answering questions from fans.

Hire experts with proven track records on growing the brand digitally and on forward thinking platforms.

VTT would have robust player support and 3PP marketplace. NO microtransactions.

If you buy the book, free pdf.

Clint_L

Hero
Oh god...what a disaster. I'm pretty sure I would totally mismanage it because I don't know anything about running a business. So probably I would hire someone I barely knew to take care of day to day operations while I went to LA to be in charge of the entertainment division. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Let's say you won that 1.5 billion lottery and bought D&D. What do you do with it?
I put out 6e. MY 6e will be based on 4e but with a bunch of fixes. The HPs would go WAY down... like every class gets 3HD at level 1 and then only 1 more every odd level, and each HD goes down a die code (so d4 d6 and d8 with barbarian if it exsists being a d10) no bonus hp from a high con (but still when you spend hd to heal)
all the classes will look like a mix between 4e D&D and the 5e artificer and warlock

prestige classes back like 3e, and epic destinies like 4e.

weapons lots more weapons

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases