• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your campaign settings

This thread has two purposes.

A. Explain your own homebrew campaign settings, so that other people can benefit from your ideas. That, and you can show off how sweet it is. :D

B. Hopefully, we can use ideas from this thread to improve the campaign setting we are working on together here . If you have a good idea, we might just use it! :)

My setting

What I have time for so far, as I'll be adding more on to this post as I have time, as well as doing more building on my campaing setting, since it's still a work in progress.

Inspirations
First thing I think you need to know, is that my campaign setting uses three sources above all others: my imagination (no crap), the book series I am writing, and lots of mythology.

My Imagination: Basically anything I can think of that I like the look and feel of. I'm even completely redoing some of the base classes (read: all spellcasters), to fit more with my themes. Also, by my imagination, I mean my imagination. As Macrovore commented on the other thread, there are no orcs or halflings in my campaign. They are both purely Tolkien creations and have thus been, as cool as they may be, completely discarded. Yes I understand the most mythology likely came from someone's imagination, but I put mythology, which has a primarily religious base, in a different category from novels.

My Books: Yes, I'm writing a fantasy novel series, and yes, I know I'm a geek. But anyways, this is basically the same as the previous category. Almost anything in my campaign setting that happens to pop into my head probably goes into the world of my books as well. The campaign setting is based off the world in the books, so it has many of the same plot elements, places, and characters.

Mythology: I'm a complete mythology buff. No, seriously, I read it in my spare time, especially Greek and Norse. Its fascinating stuff. A lot of the ideas in my books (and by extension the campaign setting) have a strong base in real world myth and folklore from all over the war. Heck, the dwarven race as I'm working them now (though I might change it) sprang from the body of a dead giant, just like in Norse myth. The system of deities is similar to Greek myth, with a few very powerful gods, but hundreds of lesser deities walk the world as well, many of them completely unknown to mortals.

My standard races so far:
Humans
Dwarves (homebrew race, small size, intelligent and strong, master craftsman)
Elves (homebrew, fast, graceful, strong, and savage)
Gnomes (homebrew, hideously ugly, but fantastically strong)
Goblins (homebrew, mediium size, replace orcs, though not as strong, but smarter)
Ogres (homebrew race, not the same as in MM, bigger than D&D orcs, but smaller than D&D ogres)
Giants (primarily fire, frost, and hill, as well as cyclops)

Thats it for now, but I'll write more later.

Last edited:

Nyaricus

First Post
First off, here's a Link to the House Rules World Building thread: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=157765

Now, onto my own Campaign Setting. I will attempt to keep this updated, but for now here's my introduction

Nyaricus's Campaign Rulebook said:
Welcome to Ascension - Paths Of Power, a campaign setting of my creation. On the continent of Amnerôn, the Dark Age is coming to an end - and yet chaos still holds sway in many lands. There is upset in the north, and more and more the Tûllan's are raiding Kysmere’s fertile coasts. Orcs are driving the barbarian tribes of the Delzounians’ south and west, while their cousins the Velzuans are being pushed east. The tribes of horse-brothers, the Induskians’, are slowly expanding their great Empire north-east into Amnerôn from the bordering continent of Indusk, and the Dragon Crusades are coming full swing in the border country of Theska and its neighbor Tacland. There is unrest everywhere, and many great heroes are making their name heard far and wide.

Ascension is a world bearing many similarities to our own - if all the legends, folklore, and myths were true. In Ascension, your characters are the heroes of their lands - whether they be dwarf, elf, human or halfing. And where mythology has no basis, such as Orcs and Halfings, Tolkiens’ fantastic modern saga, LOTR, helps to fill in the gaps of some of fantasy’s main staples, while still being very thematic.

Ascension is a sometimes brutal and gritty world - but great tales of valour and champions survive beyond mortal lives - and you have a chance to be one. So come and join Ascension, a world ripe for adventuring. Come in and wander these Paths of Power!

Also, here's my Class List:
Bard
Berserker
Cut-throat
Druid
Noble
Priest
Thief
Warrior
Wizard
Woodsman
Question: are there any Medieval "class" concepts people think i am missing?

And, my Race List
Dwarf
Elf [High, Dark, Twilight, Half-elves, Silvan]
Giants [list forthcoming]
Halfing [Lightfoot, Stoutheart, Tallfellow],
Human [all cultures, ethnicities, races],
Orcs [Orcs, Half-orcs, Goblins, Goblin-men, Coblynau, Hobgoblins, Ogres (Ogres are half-Fomorian and half-Orcs to be explained later]

Last edited:

Mr_GrinReaper

First Post
*_*

My world is going here- you remember it BoD right? :p But im too lazy to dig it out right now. (that was the campaign the other peter screwed up with his impossiblity of alignment.)

-
....+
.....()
........*(&*
*O-o*

Mr_GrinReaper said:
*_*

My world is going here- you remember it BoD right? :p But im too lazy to dig it out right now. (that was the campaign the other peter screwed up with his impossiblity of alignment.)

-
....+
.....()
........*(&*
*O-o*
Yeah, I remember the five or so minutes we explored before a certain so-called lawful good monk started randomly attacking people...

Macrovore

First Post
Blade of Desecration said:
What I have time for so far, as I'll be adding more on to this post as I have time, as well as doing more building on my campaing setting, since it's still a work in progress.

Inspirations
First thing I think you need to know, is that my campaign setting uses three sources above all others: my imagination (no crap), the book series I am writing, and lots of mythology.

My Imagination: Basically anything I can think of that I like the look and feel of. I'm even completely redoing some of the base classes (read: all spellcasters), to fit more with my themes. Also, by my imagination, I mean my imagination. As Macrovore commented on the other thread, there are no orcs or halflings in my campaign. They are both purely Tolkien creations and have thus been, as cool as they may be, completely discarded. Yes I understand the most mythology likely came from someone's imagination, but I put mythology, which has a primarily religious base, in a different category from novels.

My Books: Yes, I'm writing a fantasy novel series, and yes, I know I'm a geek. But anyways, this is basically the same as the previous category. Almost anything in my campaign setting that happens to pop into my head probably goes into the world of my books as well. The campaign setting is based off the world in the books, so it has many of the same plot elements, places, and characters.

Mythology: I'm a complete mythology buff. No, seriously, I read it in my spare time, especially Greek and Norse. Its fascinating stuff. A lot of the ideas in my books (and by extension the campaign setting) have a strong base in real world myth and folklore from all over the war. Heck, the dwarven race as I'm working them now (though I might change it) sprang from the body of a dead giant, just like in Norse myth. The system of deities is similar to Greek myth, with a few very powerful gods, but hundreds of lesser deities walk the world as well, many of them completely unknown to mortals.

My standard races so far:
Humans
Dwarves (homebrew race, small size, intelligent and strong, master craftsman)
Elves (homebrew, fast, graceful, strong, and savage)
Gnomes (homebrew, hideously ugly, but fantastically strong)
Goblins (homebrew, mediium size, replace orcs, though not as strong, but smarter)
Ogres (homebrew race, not the same as in MM, bigger than D&D orcs, but smaller than D&D ogres)
Giants (primarily fire, frost, and hill, as well as cyclops)

Thats it for now, but I'll write more later.

you bastard... you got rid of halflings... bastard

Remove ads