Your Favorite OSR System?

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I really like Old School Essentials and am having a ton of fun playing in a weekly Mork Borg game, but right now my heart belongs to The Nightmares Underneath. It's a quirky dungeon crawler where you are one of the few souls insane enough to go into these nightmare realms to claim their treasure which cleanses them. What I love is that it maintains the sense of danger and risk taking of low level play throughout the experience, has a magic system that feels very Swords and Sorcery, has strong support for Theater of the Mind, and has detailed rules for handling interacting with the towns you use as your home base.

Orcslayer78

Explorer
I like old school essentials a lot. I haven't tried it yet, but an very interested in Five Torches Deep. Has anyone kicked the tires on that system?
It's pretty good, it has the 4 core classes from B/X and BECMI but adds subclasses thar represent all the classes from 5E (for example you start as Wizard and then you can choose to become a Sorcerer or a Warlock)

There's a bunch of info out there on OSR. Just run a Google search and should be able to find a wiki. It's pretty much and system, or hack of a system that has an emphasis on hexploration, dungeon crawling, any style of game that would probably be considered old fashioned these days. Just off the top of my head there is old school fantasy, osric, old school essentials, five torches deep, the black hack, castles and crusades. There are also some a little more "out there" like Mork Borg. Some are based off more modern type systems, and others are little more then reformatting old dnd. Five Torches uses 5e as a basis. I believe old school fantasy uses 3e. Old School Essentials is based off B/Ex DnD.

Remove ads