• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your favorite post-apocolyptic movie?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Okay, I'm not up-to-date on all the post-apocolyptic movies out there and won't even try to make a list. Would the Terminator movies be included in this category? Those are more like science fiction/time travel movies, as the Terminator apocalypse hasn't actually happened in the timeframe of the movies.

Anyway, I'll start off with Mad Max.

Mad Max (1979): In an Australian dystopia of decaying order and violent highways, a police pursuit driver is drawn into a path of vengeance after a motorcycle gang targets him for the death of their former leader.

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981): Max is travelling in a post apocalypse Australia where Gasoline is the most valuable commodity. He becomes involved in a struggle between bandits and a town that has build defenses around a small refinery. He must cross the no man's land several times to allow them to make a dash for freedom, pursued by the bandits in their vehicles.

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985): Bartertown is a city on the edge of a desert that has managed to retain some technology if no civilization. Max has his supplies stolen and must seek shelter there in a post apocalypse world where all machines have begun to break down and barbarians hold what is left. He becomes involved in a power struggle in this third Mad Max film where he must first survive the town, survive the desert and then rescue the innocent children he has discovered. [Didn't like this one as much.]

Plus, coming next year (knock on wood)...

Untitled Mad Max 4 Film (2006): Mad Max, finally with us in his fourth incarnation, still wanders the wastelands of a post-apocalyptic Australian Outback.

Anyway, besides Mad Max, which are your favorite post-apocolyptic movies? Are there any other good ones? And who, besides me, actually likes Waterworld (see below)? And what would you give to see a Gamma World movie?

Waterworld (1995): Sometime in the future, the polar ice caps have melted and the world's oceans and seas have covered the land. People are few and far between, living in small communities at sea or sailing from one to another as traders. All the people seek dry land.. something nobody has seen.

I know a lot of people hated this movie, but I thought it was strangely fascinating. :p

Cheers!

Knightfall1972

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Also...

Reign of Fire (2002): It is twenty years in the future, and the planet has been devastated by vicious fire-breathing dragons. The last vestiges of humanity now struggle for survival in at remote ouposts. In a ruined castle in the English countryside, Quinn is desperately trying to hold together a band of frightened, restless survivors. As a boy, Quinn watched his mother die protecting him from one of the beasts, and is still haunted by the memory. One day, a group of American rouges shows up, led by a brash, tough-guy named Van Zam. He claims to have discovered a way to kill the dragons once and for all, and enlists Quinn's help. But doing so will force Quinn to confront his own frightening memories. This, and Quinn's responsibilities to those that are under his protection, results in a battle of wills between the two men. In the end, events cause them both to realize that they must work together to defeat the monsters--both without and within.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Cursed Quinn said:
Do various George Romero movies count? If so, make mine zombie!!

I would say so... the Land of the Dead movies, right? (Forgive my ignorance.)

Another for my list...

Judge Dredd (1995): In a dystopic future, where urban areas have grown into megacities that cover entire coastal regions, the justice system has evolved to a single person invested with the power of police, judge, jury, and executioner: the Judge. Among the Judges of Mega-City One, Judge Dredd is one of the best, and a particular favorite of the Head of the Council, Judge Fargo. But there are evil forces at work in the Justice Dept: block riots and the escape of Rico, a homicidal maniac, are only steps in a plan that ultimately lead to the sentencing of Dredd for a murder he didn't commit. And Dredd must discover the secrets of his own past and survive to stop the evildoers.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
The Omega Man
The Last Man on Earth
The Day After Tomorrow

"Where Have All the People Gone?" A 70's TV movie about a family who was camping. They decided to explore a cave in the afternoon and camped in it that night. That afternoon, 'something' happened perhaps to the sun - and everyone who wasn't protected by several feet of stone or metal turned into dust. They come back to find civilization is just over.

12 Monkeys
The Stand
Most zombie movies
Armageddon
Deep Impact
Day of the Triffids

When Worlds Collide is one of my favorites.

Of the list and the others I've seen, I probably like 12 Monkeys as one of the best non-zombie end-of-the-world films. Before that: Mad Max 2.The very end of MM3 I liked better than the entire rest of the film (which I did like) - where the kids finally get to where they are going and we see it's an empty Sydney, and they talk about 'lighting the city' like they heard about... very sad and moving.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some better films.

Conaill

First Post
Delicatessen (1991): Off-beat french post-apocalyptic black comedy by Marc Caro and Jean-Pierre Jeunet (Amelie, City of Lost Children). An ex-clown turns up seeking work at an ancient tenament in the middle of nowhere. Little does he know that the landlord, a butcher, feeds his tenants, in these days of extreme food shortages, on fattened up handymen.

Heartily recommended!

Last edited:

Wombat

First Post
Conaill said:
Delicatessen (1991)

A truly excellent film! (edit: hmmm, I wonder if City of Lost Children counts? Make the fun double bill!)

And then there is...

A Boy And His Dog :cool:

Firebeetle

Explorer
Blood of Heroes

Several great movies here, I always like apocalypse movies for some reason. My obsession with Mad Max was so great I played Car Wars for years and years as a youth.

A Boy and his Dog is fantastic, a cult hit and a must see.

Day of the Triffids is a classic.

My all-time favorite is. . .

Blood of Heroes with Rutger Hauer, Joan Chen, and Vincent D'onofrio.

It's a sports movie about a post apocalyptic sport called Jugging. It managed to be completely convincing while having a low budget. I love that kind of film-making, where you end up rooting as much for the director for pulling it off as you do the characters. Great film, and highly recommended.

Remove ads