Your favourite non-D&D game?

Greed Barabore

First Post
My background: grew up with a family that looked down on D&D, so my role-playing experience was Rifts instead. Never really made sense to me, since both can be as good or evil as the GM dictates. Anyway, read through all the posts before replying. No idea what Savage World or Legend of the Five Rings are, but they seem to be getting a lot of hits. Personally?

Rather surprised Shadowrun and Rifts do not have more hits. They are fun, interesting, and avoid the issues of a billions status conditions that bogs down D&D combat.

Greed Barabore

First Post
System: you mean for character generation, or something else? A lot of games have detailed character creation, even D&D if you tarry with skills and feats.

Genre: Something wrong with sci-fi, or do people have issue with the unrestricted sci-fi and fantasy merge?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
System: you mean for character generation, or something else? A lot of games have detailed character creation, even D&D if you tarry with skills and feats.
Speaking as a fan of the game, I have to say that there are some real problems with the math and other aspects of the game, especially as compared to more modern systems. Even some of the guys who wrote material for it- other than Sembieda himself- have admitted play testing was virtually nonexistent.

Genre: Something wrong with sci-fi, or do people have issue with the unrestricted sci-fi and fantasy merge?
For an as-yet unrevealed reason, Sci-Fi games, regardless of quality- suffer from an overall lack of popularity according to sales figures. Fantasy RPGs rule the roost.

wtripp

First Post
I'd have to answer Rolemaster though the last time I tried to introduce my group to it the effort fell flat on its face. We're trying Savage Worlds now with Hellfrost and it definitely looks like it has HUGE potential.

I've been playing D&D (and all of its variants including Pathfinder) for 32+ years and I am SOOO looking for something different.

Wayne

Remove ads