D&D 5E your fist level wizard has used their 2 spells. Now What?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
in 2e there were cool little work arounds (but barring additional books base PHB DID say fighter only spec)

2e also had (in non core TSR suppliants) weapon mastery (bring the +1/+2 up to +3/+3) at the cost of a 3rd slot, weapon High mastery (a bonus to your reaction when useing that weapon, and gave you yet more attacks) at the cost of a 4th slot and weapon GRAND mastery (increase damage die by 1 code) at a 5th slot but they had level prereqs too and THOSE were 100% fighter only... and any of the combat classes (fighter/ranger/paladin if you used the book Barbarian and the weird chronomancer fighter thing) could take DEATH BLOW for 2 NON weapon profs (I think you had to be 9th level) where you roll to hit a target as your only attack that round, if you hit they make a save (I think vs death magic not 100% sure) or die... but it didn't work if they were at full hp or if your weapon could not hurt them... some creatures (lich, vampire ect) only drop to 0 (I know we did that for PCs too, but that might have been a house rule)

a 12th level human fighter with a 16str (no bonus to hit but +1 damage) in 2e could not only be a force to be reckoned with BUT could make a caster FEAR him getting close (not that they didn't have win buttons and defenses... stone skin drove my players nuts).

a long sword fighter at level 12 with 16 str had a 9 thac0 with even just a +1 long sword that would be adjusted to a 5 with bonuses... so could hit a -10 (theoretical max) with a 15 and hit a -12 (reserved for gods and super dragons) on a 17, would only crit on a 20 though make 3 attacks (and I think it was with a bonus 2 from high mastery to initiative) and deal 1d10+5 or 1d20+5 per attack... in a game that 100hp was godly at 20th level... or he could have that above death blow.

give him a better weapon or str or just more magic items and he could be deadly to even a dragon
Specialization in unarmed combat (punching/wrestling/marital arts) was introduced in the Complete Fighter's Handbook, and worked differently than Weapon Specialization.

Specialization in punching, for example, gives you a +1 to hit, +1 to damage, and allowed you to shift whatever attack you rolled on the chart (because unarmed combat had a chart of which move you perform based on the d20 roll) up or down one space, per Proficiency slot put into the specialization. And a bonus attack if both hands are free.

Only Fighters (or Priests with the Monk Kit) were allowed to specialize in more than one unarmed style, and continue specializing.

Specialization in unarmed combat (punching/wrestling/marital arts) was introduced in the Complete Fighter's Handbook, and worked differently than Weapon Specialization.

Specialization in punching, for example, gives you a +1 to hit, +1 to damage, and allowed you to shift whatever attack you rolled on the chart (because unarmed combat had a chart of which move you perform based on the d20 roll) up or down one space, per Proficiency slot put into the specialization. And a bonus attack if both hands are free.

Only Fighters (or Priests with the Monk Kit) were allowed to specialize in more than one unarmed style, and continue specializing.
cool as much as I loved 2e I am 20 years out of practice...so that didn't stand out but I think I remember it now

Remove ads