• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your most pointless TV/movie/book nitpicks

pukunui

Legend
I was just reading an article that reminded me of a pet peeve of mine from the WW2 movie, Memphis Belle. For the record, I loved that movie so much as a kid that I named my dog after the plane. But even at 10 years old, I could see the ridiculousness of the plot's "pain point" - namely, that the Belle's bombardier insists that the squadron "go around again" because he can't see the target well enough to make sure they don't accidentally drop bombs on a nearby school.

Unfortunately, when the the bombs are finally dropped, what follows is archival footage showing bombs exploding all over the place, making it clear that there was no need to "go around again" because that school was going to get hit no matter what. (I mean, at no point in the movie are the B-17s shown flying in single file; they're all spread out in groups. Most of them weren't going to hit that factory anyway!)

If they'd just made it so that the bombardier insisted on going around again because he wanted to make sure they actually hit their target, that would've been one thing. But the writers had to up the ante and make it out like the heroic airmen were all putting their lives further at risk in a noble effort to avoid killing children -- when there was really no chance of them not doing so due to the very nature of the squadron's flying formation -- that makes it ridiculous.

Ryujin

Legend
In Canada it’s RCAF. Royal Canadian Air Force. I’m pretty sure RAF doesn’t stand for “British Air Force”. :p
Sure, but as a Canadian I'm just calling it the Air Force, or simply referring to the Armed Forces as a whole. I'm not going to call it the Royal Canadian Air Force, despite having been a member of the RCAC (Royal Canadian Air Cadets).

R_J_K75

Legend
I wanted to start a thread about your pointless and ridiculous nitpicks of TV shows, movies and books.
As for books, Media Play, or any other store that allowed people to loiter, provided the chair and serve scones so someone else can already have read the book I was coming to purchase. It was probably Mathew Lesko who read it

briggart

Adventurer
This is videogame related, so not sure it's on topic, but the accent of the characters in Assassin's Creed 2 is completely off. Not to mention the songs by the gondoliers in Venice. All those are from Southern Italy and would be completely out of place in 15th century Venice (and in modern day Venice too).

Remove ads