• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your most pointless TV/movie/book nitpicks

Dioltach

Legend
One thing that gets me riled up about modern movies and television is how they handwave travel, particularly in period pieces. And make the societies seem like modern rich people who just flit around and show up at each other's houses unannounced.

In one episode of the series Reign, Mary (the uncrowned queen of Scotland) and Francis (the heir to the French throne) go for a ride. From just outside Paris to the coast. With four guards. Another time, the king of France goes to visit his mistress in Paris by himself, without his court, or even any servants. But when he goes off to war, the entire army marches out of the front door of the palace.

The first series of Medici was pretty good (with Dustin Hoffman and Richard Madden), but the second season started off so badly that we never watched beyond the first episode. The Duke of Milan shows up at the Medici residence. He's one of the most powerful people in Europe, and wouldn't just pop over to Florence by himself, unannounced, without his court or at least a very strong bodyguard. The episode ends with the Milanese army showing up outside the walls of Florence out of the blue. No-one has seen them march across the north of Italy, or wait until they're told to attack. No, they're just there all of a sudden, marching up to the gate.

In Coming 2 America, General Izzi can seemingly hop in a car to visit from Nexdoria like it's the other side of town. Even though Zamunda can support gold mines, to judge by the bars of gold with Akeem's face on them. When Akeem's son decides to go back to America during a party, it's only a few minutes later that we're told that he's already left and taken the private jet. Like it's waiting by the front door, ready to go. And no-one noticed it taking off.

It's like the writers think everything is like in an American soap, and no-one lives further apart than the other side of Beverly Hills.

Riley

Legend
Supporter
Not entirely unjustified - they would enter the system on the plane of the ecliptic because that's where most of the the stuff is. You would only use an alterative approach if your intentions where hostile.

Or if you were approaching from somewhere perpendicular to Ceti Alpha's plane of the ecliptic? It's be silly to go around all that way just to come in from the edge of the plane as a courtesy.

Yora

Legend
In Baldur's Gate 1, the cutscene that plays when entering the tower of the Iron Throne in the city has a very beautiful and accurate 3D rendering of the entrance hall. But the person who made the 3D model forgot to put a texture on the underside of the first floor balcony that runs around the walls of the hall. Which means when the camera enters the area through the doors on the ground floor and looks up, the first floor's floor is transparent.

It's like 5 seconds long, it does not affect gameplay, and it's a 25 year old game. But it still really bothers me that this was overlooked and nobody noticed it before the rendered video was put into the game before shipping.

Videogame nitpick:

It always bothers me that during the ending of Final Fantasy 7, when the camera swoops down to the city to focus on the little girl, you can clearly tell the entire backdrop is just a flat silhouette. Since most of the game uses prerendered backgrounds, with a top down perspective you would never see this detail. But they used the same model for the cutscene, which painfully puts this shortcut on display.

FF7 Ending (spoiler!)

Movie nitpick:

How come the Gremlins can drink beer, which clearly contains water, without multiplying? Or run through the snow? How come they can watch a movie in a pitch black theater, without reacting to the bright light? I know Gremlins 2 pokes fun at plenty of other silly things, so I probably shouldn't think too hard about these things.

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
How come the Gremlins can drink beer, which clearly contains water, without multiplying? Or run through the snow? How come they can watch a movie in a pitch black theater, without reacting to the bright light? I know Gremlins 2 pokes fun at plenty of other silly things, so I probably shouldn't think too hard about these things.
You just can't get them wet. I drink quite frequently, daily even, and never think I'm getting wet when taking a sip of water.

Videogame nitpick:

It always bothers me that during the ending of Final Fantasy 7, when the camera swoops down to the city to focus on the little girl, you can clearly tell the entire backdrop is just a flat silhouette. Since most of the game uses prerendered backgrounds, with a top down perspective you would never see this detail. But they used the same model for the cutscene, which painfully puts this shortcut on display.

FF7 Ending (spoiler!)

Movie nitpick:

How do they know what time zone they are in when working out if it's after midnight?

Remove ads