Your most pointless TV/movie/book nitpicks

Dioltach

Legend
McClane also has a magic drink at the airport bar that goes up and down and up and down in volume, despite never getting a refill, but it's the PacBell phones 3,000 miles away from the very specific Northern Virginia location that get me.
Clearly this version of Dulles airport exists in its own specific dimension, where approaching planes can't divert to another airport if they're unable to establish contact with the airport they're supposed to be going to.

MarkB

Legend
I dunno, that's not such a nitpick. The words "rudimentary" and "interlinked guidance system" should not be used in the same sentence. Launching and landing flying capsules to fixed entry/exit points is a whole lot more complicated than running a capsule up and down a fixed track.
There's no actual track in either version, the capsules are free-falling the whole way. It's just that in one version it's doing so through a sealed tunnel. And all the guidance system needs to do is "Shift capsule two capsule-widths to the left at point A" and then "shift capsule two capsule-widths back to its original course at point B". A purely lateral thrust shouldn't introduce any major complications to the orbital path.

But the main point was that they didn't need to go to the expense of boring loads of high-precision tunnels. Even if they decided, for safety's sake, to run only a single capsule between each set of accelerators, expanding the system would only require a second set of accelerators.

pukunui

Legend
Oh, and Stranger Things:

1) That’s not a 1970’s-80’s Millennium Falcon in Stranger Things.
They got the D&D books wrong, too, didn’t they?

For me, the biggest nitpicks with ST were the Russian soldiers in their military uniforms under the mall and the maniacal general who ordered his troops to open fire on their fellow soldiers. Both of those just seemed a bit ridiculous to me.

As for nitpicks with books, the one that stands out for me is in Will Thomas’ Barker and Llewellyn novel, Anatomy of Evil, in which their clerk, Jenkins, provides the private enquiry agents a collection of newspaper clippings before they ask him to put it together. (I tried asking the author about it on his FB page recently, but he just deleted the post instead of answering my question! Rude!)

Riley

Legend
For me, the biggest nitpicks with ST were the Russian soldiers in their military uniforms under the mall and the maniacal general who ordered his troops to open fire on their fellow soldiers. Both of those just seemed a bit ridiculous to me.

I’ve held up on watching any more Stranger Things probably just before the events you’re describing. (I want the final series to be imminent before I watch any further.)

Isn't this the same movie that has a big dial on an air traffic controller's main console for adjusting the height of sea level by over a hundred feet?!
No idea. At a certain point, my brain shut off to save itself further injury.

That's the one. I once watched it with my step brother, who is an air traffic controller. He was not impressed!

My pet nitpick is the Watchers' minions in Buffy. They were very much working-class Cockneys (or what passes for them on American TV), and complained that their bosses got to fly first class, whilst they were travelling coach class.

My problem is not with idea of lower class Brits complaining that the bosses flew first class and wouldn't pay for the workers to do the same (even though in reality, such complaints are extremely rare in the country that likes to think it invented the class system - of course the bosses fly first class, and who'd want to be stuck for hours with that bunch of upper-class twits anyway?).

It's that there is absolutely no way they would have referred to themselves as "travelling coach", which is an Americanism I have never heard a British person use.

Just recently watched Blue Eyed Samurai on Netflix. I really enjoyed it except:

2 issues:

1. The scenery is beautiful. I’m not sure if they choice of doing it winter was a stylistic choice but, guess what? In winter, it’s cold.

You can’t walk around in sandals and not wear gloves. Oh yeah, and plunging in icy water is, generally, a death sentence. I get that this is common in a lot of shows (no toques in the tundra?) but there was nothing in the series that needed it to take place in the winter. The action could have been EXACTLY the same and it would have worked fine in any other season.

2. The whole show is predicated on the fact that this warrior is a Super Amazing swordsman. The Blue eyed samurai watched a lot of Masters practice their secret techniques and managed to become an expert by mimicking those techniques. Without a teacher. Just hard work and practice and, somehow, replicating those techniques from memory.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
There is a scene in The Devil's Advocate with Keanu Reeves that makes me laugh. I recall Keanu stepping out onto a balcony. The background is the most phoney baloney city scape I have ever scene in a film. I thought to myself, "man, if I was the director I would do everything possible to avoid directing attention to that crappy phoeny background". As soon as I completed that thought, Keanu's next line is, "whoa, what a great view"

Dioltach

Legend
In Bones, one of the characters, Hodgins, is mega-rich. As in, one of the richest people in the world. When the psycho serial killer needs a diversion to help him escape, he steals Hodgins's wealth. Just by hacking into his account. They sit and watch as his money drains away, and he's left with only a few million, from the billions and billions his family had acquired.

There's no explanation for why all that wealth is sitting in a bank account, not held in property or bonds or registered stock or art or jewellery, or otherwise properly invested and managed. Also no explanation for why the bank can't simply reverse a clearly fraudulent transaction.

Ryujin

Legend
In Bones, one of the characters, Hodgins, is mega-rich. As in, one of the richest people in the world. When the psycho serial killer needs a diversion to help him escape, he steals Hodgins's wealth. Just by hacking into his account. They sit and watch as his money drains away, and he's left with only a few million, from the billions and billions his family had acquired.

There's no explanation for why all that wealth is sitting in a bank account, not held in property or bonds or registered stock or art or jewellery, or otherwise properly invested and managed. Also no explanation for why the bank can't simply reverse a clearly fraudulent transaction.
I think FDIC only covers something like $250K. Probably the least of the issues but anyone with even $1M in the bank would be dumb to not better protect their assets.

Remove ads