Your most used accessories?

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
20190406_112549.jpg

ccs

41st lv DM
If I can't claim dice, then it'd have to be my red gaming bag I got at GenCon back in '01/'02(? It doesn't have a year on the patch).
I've used it multiple times per week since the day I bought it. 17+ years of continuous use is a lot of use....
Odds are if I'm gaming it's with me.

Quickleaf

Legend
PZO3007wonderouscards07.jpg

I've been using Paizo's GameMastery Treasure Cards, and for helping players keep track of their stuff when there are weeks between sessions, they're indispensable. I place yellow sticky notes on backside with handwritten info, and my players now use Topper card protectors to keep track of them.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
One of my players got me this artist’s easel and storage drawer:

U.S. Art Supply Walnut Solana Adjustable Wood Desk Table Easel with Storage Drawer, Paint Palette, Premium Beechwood - Portable Wooden Artist Desktop, Board for Canvas, Painting, Drawing, Book Stand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZXWF2Y1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_j-wQCbR3ADYB7

It stands my Paizo initiative tracker up nicely during the game and keeps my dice, pens and index cards neatly stored between sessions. Not sure what to do with the paint palette :)

Attachments

• 073117-1.jpg
    073117-1.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 295

Shiroiken

Legend
Back when I played IRL games it was 4E, so laptop with internet was invaluable because of WotC's online tools. Before that I'd say the Chessex wet-erase battlemaps, since combat in 3E and 4E was much better with it. In the AD&D days, the DM screen was almost mandatory because of all the charts and such.

Now I play on Roll20, so "accessories" really aren't a thing. We have found something pretty useful, probably even for IRL games: Google Drive. The DM creates a folder with all the campaign information in it, with a sub-folder for characters. Everyone puts their character on it, updating after each session. This way the DM can always look up something for a missing player, and the players can look up campaign information away from the session.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I've finally settled into a pattern. While I have lots of purchased and homemade terrain and game aids in the wings, the following see use in every game of my D&D campaign (I'm the DM).

1. My House

Best. Game. Aid. Ever. Players come to you can I have all my books and game aids on bookshelves behind me. I always have tables and comfortable chairs for the group. I have no issues with surrounding noise making it difficult for us to hear each other. I have a stocked fridge in arms reach. I can set up everything on the tables before going to bed and all I have to do in the morning before players arrive is start the coffee.

2. Decent chairs.

I would like to upgrade them, but they a better than wooden kitchen chairs and any chair I've every seen at any FLGS or gaming convention. I run eight-hour games. The cost of good office chairs may seem out of reach, but I got mine for a steal on Craigs List from a company that was downsizing. Another good option is to check out furniture rental companies. Many of them have furniture clearance warehouses where you can find good deals on quality used office furniture.

3. Digital battlemap.

I have a 40" display encased in a custom made case by Collabrewate. I is so much easier to throw up a map on this than to have to print out battlemaps on large-scale printers or to have to pause the game to draw things out on a wet/dry erase grid mat/board.

4. 2D miniatures.

Someone above mentioned Arc Knight. I backed their Kickstarter and have hundreds of fantasy minis from them. I also have a Silhouette paper-cutting machine that I use to quickly and cleanly cutout 2D paper miniatures. Printable Heroes and One Monk Miniatures are my go-to creators. I also bought the cardboard 2D miniatures for Tome of Beasts and the Creature Codex by Kobold Press. I bought a large box of US letter-sized envelopes to organize the minis. I just put the flat minis into an envelope, write the name of the creature or NPC type on the envelope in large letters with a black marker, and then file them in a box that is letter-size width and organize them alphabetically. I have thousands of minis organized alphabetically at my fingertips. And I can easily grab the box and take to FLGS without having to do any preparation.

5. Slotted Bases + Alea Tools

All of the Arc knight and paper minis I have, have tabs at their bottom for use with slotted bases. I have a bunch from the Tome of Beasts, Creature Codex, and Arc Knight kickstarters. I also bought a bunch from LITKO. I also bought a set of Alea Tools magnetic status markers and I put magnetic stickers on the bottom of my slotted paper bases.

6. Bag of Superior Sorting

I got this from a kickstarter. The creator had some personal issues and delivered the kickstarter very late and it unfortunately looks like these are not in production. But this is the greatest dice bag I've ever owned.

7. Measuring Sticks

I made a number of measuring sticks using the instructions on the DM's Craft You Tube Channel. I originally created these for gridless play as I was using felt terrain and gridless maps as well as homemade terrain. But even with gridded battlemaps, they are helpful to quickly measure movements without having to count squares.

8. Time Tracker

I printed out and laminated the Time Tracker by Woopdedoo on DM's Guild. Tracking time is important in my current campaign and this makes is fairly easy.

9. Laptop and Software

While I could do much of my DM work on my smart phone with D&D Beyond, I need my laptop to run RealmWorks, which I use to manage my campaign and display maps. Along with RealmWorks, I use Hero Lab (for monster statblocks and combat tracking) and Evernote (for taking notes).

Remove ads