D&D 4E Your plans for 4e

(contact)

Explorer
Anyone here playtesting?

Assuming most of you aren't, what are your plans to do with your current games in the final months before 4e? I'm finding that my enthusiasm for anything 3x declines in proportion to my excitement for 4e. I'd planned to finish the Savage Tide AP, but my guys and gals are about half way through, and there is a natural conclusion point, and I think I'm going to take it.

After that, if we can playtest, we will, but if not we've got about a six month span there to figure something out. Delta Green, maybe? Some kind of mini-campaign? I've wanted to run the Return to Castle Ravenloft, so maybe we'll go that route.

How about yourselves? How has the announcement impacted your DMing plans?

phoamslinger

Explorer
just the opposite I fear. working in IT/Tech Support, for years I've had to go in and fix things after the engineers went and fixed stuff that wasn't broken in the first place.

that's mostly what I see here and I am unenthusiastic about supporting it. I see Hasbro chasing the $$$ signs for republishing all the 3.5 materials out there (and everyone buying yet another edition). add to that a monthly fee? no thanks.

I'll wait for the new edition to come out, go to a Barnes and Noble and read it cover to cover and then decide (probably to stick with what I already have).

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I'm not particularly looking forward to a new edition, but the things they say they are fixing in 4E are things that I see as issues to be addressed, so I'm interested. I've got no problems with WoTC doing a new edition; its not like I was going to stop buying D&D books next year anyway, I'll just be buying buying different ones. I can live with an all-new edition every 8-10 years - especially as Scott Rouse has declared "there will be no 4.5."

I don't know if I'll switch; I'll buy the books and see what I like. I would lvoe to playtest, and I hope I have the chance.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I have no plan to convert my current campaign. If it takes 5 years to finish like the last one, then we'll be playing with my house-ruled 3.5 rules until that time.

However, when 4E comes out I plan to at least look it over and decide whether or not to pick it up (right now I am leaning towards not, but we'll see).

If I could get a chance to playtest I would start up a second game for running one-shots at various levels and mini-arcs to test things out.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
el-remmen said:
If I could get a chance to playtest I would start up a second game for running one-shots at various levels and mini-arcs to test things out.

If I got a chance to playtest, I was thinking that I would run a 20-session mini-campaign based off of various classic 1E modules - basically condensing them down into one session each or even just playing only a single memorable location/fight in each, and levelling up after each session. Campaign -wise, there'd be a huge amount of implied stuff going on that isn't played out, but we'd advance very quickly in order to play through as many campaign stages as possible.

(contact)

Explorer
phoamslinger said:
just the opposite I fear. working in IT/Tech Support, for years I've had to go in and fix things after the engineers went and fixed stuff that wasn't broken in the first place.

that's mostly what I see here and I am unenthusiastic about supporting it. I see Hasbro chasing the $$$ signs for republishing all the 3.5 materials out there (and everyone buying yet another edition). add to that a monthly fee? no thanks.

I'll wait for the new edition to come out, go to a Barnes and Noble and read it cover to cover and then decide (probably to stick with what I already have).

See, I think it's interesting how much blowback Wizards gets for being greedy when they are a publishing house whose buisiness model has to be that we all buy books on an ongoing basis (and for the most part we do).

They can publish 4e, or the Continued Expanded Book of Elven Desert Stronghold Crusades.

That said, since you're also skeptical that the rules won't be very good, just grab the SRD and you can playtest them yourself before plunking down cash.

So far, I think that the things they've addressed as core goals for the redesign are totally ideas I can get behind. I'd love to see combat sped up, I'd love to see the sweet-spot extended, and I extra-super-bff love that they're trying to make high-level play workable and fun for non-geniuses like myself. I also like what little bit we're hearing about changes to PCs.

The two products that 4e is reportedly closest to, Star Wars Saga and Book of Nine Swords are getting rave reviews around my gaming table. We dig the mechanics of the Bo9S classes, and while I'm not playing in it, I hear the Saga rules are good.

Kid Charlemagne said:
If I got a chance to playtest, I was thinking that I would run a 20-session mini-campaign based off of various classic 1E modules - basically condensing them down into one session each or even just playing only a single memorable location/fight in each, and levelling up after each session.

That sounds like fun!

We've decided that we'll rotate betweeen 3 DMs, myself, my buddy Ian and my fiancee. She's never run a game before, and we'd love the chance to see how new-DM friendly 4e is.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'll finish off my current campaign in 3.5 (if we ever play, that is... sigh) and use 4e for the next campaign. I'm looking forward to it.

Pbartender

First Post
Our current plans are "wait and see".

Our group has so many planned adventures in the hopper, that we'll have plenty of time to decide whether or not we like the rules. Although, I think with this next edition, we'll probably be a lot less likely to collect splat books.

(contact)

Explorer
Piratecat said:
I'll . . . use 4e for the next campaign. I'm looking forward to it.

<hypnotic stare>

You feel compelled to find a job in Kansas City, and convince Peggy to do the same. When I snap my fingers you will awaken from this trance, and will not recall this command, but still be powerless to disobey.

</hypnotic stare>

*snap*

Remove ads