Your Post Apocalyptic Shopping List

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Besides the obvious guns, medical supplies, food. What are the things you think you'll need to survive. I think toilet paper would be a good thing to hoard. A few extra pairs of shoes. A couple in my current size, and a couple in a narrower size as my feet may shrink a little. I have super wide feet. A dictionary and math text books. Coffee could be a useful trading item.
You don't need toilet paper. You would have to amass huge amounts of it to last long and that's only useful if you are bunkered down and don't need to be mobile.

A large portion of the world's population does just fine without toilet paper.

Really what you need first is access to water for drinking and cleaning and food. And you need other people.

After that my greatest concern would be access to first aid and medical supplies and hopefully some doctors will have survived.

Also, knives. That really stuck out as a gap in your initial list.

Ryujin

Legend
A good knife. Maybe several. You can get away with not having a lot of other things, if you at least start with a good knife. Salt. Pepper. Nitrite salts for preserving meat. A selection from this cabinet (though I think that I would skip the Phaser). My Mongolian recurve and flatbow are on top of the cabinet.

Attachments

• 20230124_145209.jpg
    20230124_145209.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 50

Zardnaar

Legend
Unless you know how to make hemp or sew a animal skins you're gonna need a lifetime supply of clothes.

Alot if things mentioned so far are luxuries up to and including electricity.

Short term it's food and water, then shelter longer term it's production of food and possibly water.

Various ways of preparing water to drink without chemicals. Realistically you need acrural location in urban area even with guns you can secure your stash even if you bunker up they can trash your crops.

Personally I would have a hill in a rural location even with a small trickle if water. Build a pool for tgat stream.

Have a garden know how to maintain it. If it's a secure location hothouse.

Depending on the apocalypse Yu might need several months through to a years food. Coastal helps but makes you vulnerable.

You can cook using an earth oven if you have to. Electric lights probably make you a target intitially.

So your rural retreat needs to be inconvenient to get to, easily camouflaged and prepared in advance. .
Mates not a hard core prepper or anything his rough plan is rural hill country he has a stream. It's over 100km from any major cities. There's wildlife to eat, fresh water available. Dirt road access remote location.

Last edited:

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Surprised nobody mentioned it, but medical supplies. And beyond the obvious too, like painkillers, bandages, splints, antibiotics to fight off infections, etc. There's a lot of people whose ability to live long and healthy lives with easy access to medicine suddenly have an extremely short life expectancy. Insulin and other diabetic medication. A entire raft of heart medications (blood pressure might be an issue!). Asthma inhalers. Prenatal vitamins were mentioned, but regular old multivitamins will help out a lot if you're reduced to stuff in cans. Even quality-of-life stuff like hormones, anti-depressants, etc. can be life-saving in the right situations. There was a semi-joke about condoms above but with all people rightfully mentioning period care* products might want to know that some oral birth control can reduce if not outright prevent periods.

Beyond that, I've watched enough Survivor to know that blankets and tarps are worth their weight in gold.

*the usage of the term 'feminine hygiene' is no longer recommended as it leaves out lots of people who have periods but aren't women, primarily transmasculine people

Ryujin

Legend
Unless you know how to make hemp or sew a animal skins you're gonna need a lifetime supply of clothes.

Alot if things me ruined so far are luxuries up to and including electricity.

Short term it's food and water, then shelter longer term it's production of food and possibly water.

Various ways of preparing water to drink without chemicals. Realistically you need acrural location in urban area even with guns you can secure your stash even if you bunker up they can trash your crops.

Personally I would have a hill in a rural location even with a small trickle if water. Build a pool for tgat stream.

Have a garden know how to maintain it. If it's a secure location hothouse.

Depending on the apocalypse Yu might need several months through to a years food. Coastal helps but makes you vulnerable.
If I could have a stable location, then my leatherworking tools would come in pretty handy.

Zardnaar

Legend
This here is a larder. Problem is everyone else probably has the same idea.

IMG_20230124_143237.jpg

Earth ovens are easy you just need to dig a hole and line it with igneous rocks +old school) or chunks of metal. Light a fire, put fiid on coals and bury it

Tools stone and wood can do alit. Linen can be made from flax.

Last edited:

Mad_Jack

Legend
My little bro owns a hundred acres down in rural W. Virginia, a decent chunk of which is vertically tiered on the side of a small mountain. Very defensible. :cool:

Mad_Jack

Legend
On the plus side it's already half in the stone age as well!!.

The funny thing is my bro works in IT... They don't get cell reception or internet there, so he basically had to build his own cell/internet tower on top of his mountain and run cables for a couple hundred yards to his house. I believe he's providing internet service to two of his neighbors as well, lol.
He's really rocking the whole high-tech redneck thing these days.

Remove ads