Your Post Apocalyptic Shopping List

RareBreed

Adventurer
One of my big complaints about post-apocalypse stuff is that it's largely written by misanthropic city folks who don't realize that going at it alone after the apocalypse is one of the most dangerous things you can do. More people mean more security, in every sense, including food security, which matters immediately and never stops mattering.
Agreed, and I'll be honest, I'm a city folk :) But both my parents were farm kids, and hearing their stories, I have an appreciation for what it takes to grow food and truly "live off the land". It may be cool from a gaming perspective to be decked out with some sleek black rifle with a bunker full of MRE's, foraging city remains for what's left over, and dueling it out with bandits. But at some point, you can't go it alone...not even with a typical family. Maybe with a somewhat large extended family (my mom had 7 other siblings, 2 uncles, and all their extended family living in very close proximity to help out with the farm....and even then, they would get locals to help harvest the crops and would pay them with 1/3rd what they harvested).

I think our modern city life style and even suburban life style has made us neglect our neighbors. Most houses don't even have front porches anymore. So, we've built in this idea, especially in big cities, that strangers are to be met with caution if not avoided altogether.

I've speculated that rural folk will survive an apocalypse far far better than city folk will.
Got bored in Covid watched some prepper videos. One had 5 years supply of food.
Eventually he will run out. Also, if word ever got out how much food he had, he'll become a big time target. And lastly, how nutritious is that stuff? Even if he has a variety of MRE's, I'd be very suspect at the nutritional value of pre-packaged food that has a shelf life of 5 years.
With lots of death there will be loads energy to go around from wind and solar
But who will maintain those wind turbines and solar panels? Once the people die, there will be a shortage of people to maintain, repair and build that kind of equipment

Ryujin

Legend
Agreed, and I'll be honest, I'm a city folk :) But both my parents were farm kids, and hearing their stories, I have an appreciation for what it takes to grow food and truly "live off the land". It may be cool from a gaming perspective to be decked out with some sleek black rifle with a bunker full of MRE's, foraging city remains for what's left over, and dueling it out with bandits. But at some point, you can't go it alone...not even with a typical family. Maybe with a somewhat large extended family (my mom had 7 other siblings, 2 uncles, and all their extended family living in very close proximity to help out with the farm....and even then, they would get locals to help harvest the crops and would pay them with 1/3rd what they harvested).

I think our modern city life style and even suburban life style has made us neglect our neighbors. Most houses don't even have front porches anymore. So, we've built in this idea, especially in big cities, that strangers are to be met with caution if not avoided altogether.

I've speculated that rural folk will survive an apocalypse far far better than city folk will.

Eventually he will run out. Also, if word ever got out how much food he had, he'll become a big time target. And lastly, how nutritious is that stuff? Even if he has a variety of MRE's, I'd be very suspect at the nutritional value of pre-packaged food that has a shelf life of 5 years.

But who will maintain those wind turbines and solar panels? Once the people die, there will be a shortage of people to maintain, repair and build that kind of equipment
I doubt that anyone can have all of the skills necessary to not only survive, but thrive. For example I can make basic tools and weapons, using scavenged parts. I can make leather goods and have a very basic knowledge of the tanning process. My survival training is rudamentary and more than 40 years old. I might make a useful or even valuable addition to a group, but I'm not likely to survive on my own.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
A huge supply of specific pharmaceuticals for various family members who need them to function very well. A bunch of tetanus shots that can be saved for the future. Ditto for MMR vaccines. Antibiotics.

Last edited:

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
More people mean more security, in every sense, including food security, which matters immediately and never stops mattering.
I doubt that anyone can have all of the skills necessary to not only survive, but thrive.
Agreed with all of the above. Modern society has many people doing work to support it and many people with specialized skills. No one person can know or do everything, and sometimes it's just a matter of needing more hands.

RareBreed

Adventurer
I doubt that anyone can have all of the skills necessary to not only survive, but thrive. For example I can make basic tools and weapons, using scavenged parts. I can make leather goods and have a very basic knowledge of the tanning process. My survival training is rudamentary and more than 40 years old. I might make a useful or even valuable addition to a group, but I'm not likely to survive on my own.
Which is why it's very important to build a community as soon as possible. This implies that leadership, communication, and charisma are vital (if you're going to be a leader), or the smarts to realize when you're being milked. Or, the strength to escape if the local strongarms are trying to muscle in and create a neo-feudal serfdom.

Farming alone is a full time endeavor. Defending that is another full time job (I don't just mean some kind of garrison, but also active scouting and reconnaissance to be forewarned of trouble). Then tack on all those other specializations, including medical, midwifing (is that a word?), tanning, etc etc.

I used to watch a Youtube channel that starred a Chinese lady (liziqi IIRC) and was always amazed at the stuff she did. Granted, a lot of that was crafted just for the video, but I yearned for a kind of life like that. I know that a "simple and idyllic" life is much harder than those kind of artificially posed youtube clips, but I still think there's great value to it. I feel like technology has regressed us in many fundamental ways.

The great irony is that I'm a software engineer. If the SHTF, I'm screwed. My survival skills are next to nothing, other than a better than average health care knowledge (I am not first responder level, but both my parents were nurses, and I used to be CPR and First Aid certified by Red Cross). I can also fire weapons (including .308 semi-automatics like AR-10 clones) and at very rudimentary level maintain them. I'm no green thumb, but I can garden...but only with modern niceties like artificial fertilizer with NPK, mulching, etc.

Ryujin

Legend
Which is why it's very important to build a community as soon as possible. This implies that leadership, communication, and charisma are vital (if you're going to be a leader), or the smarts to realize when you're being milked. Or, the strength to escape if the local strongarms are trying to muscle in and create a neo-feudal serfdom.

Farming alone is a full time endeavor. Defending that is another full time job (I don't just mean some kind of garrison, but also active scouting and reconnaissance to be forewarned of trouble). Then tack on all those other specializations, including medical, midwifing (is that a word?), tanning, etc etc.

I used to watch a Youtube channel that starred a Chinese lady (liziqi IIRC) and was always amazed at the stuff she did. Granted, a lot of that was crafted just for the video, but I yearned for a kind of life like that. I know that a "simple and idyllic" life is much harder than those kind of artificially posed youtube clips, but I still think there's great value to it. I feel like technology has regressed us in many fundamental ways.

The great irony is that I'm a software engineer. If the SHTF, I'm screwed. My survival skills are next to nothing, other than a better than average health care knowledge (I am not first responder level, but both my parents were nurses, and I used to be CPR and First Aid certified by Red Cross). I can also fire weapons (including .308 semi-automatics like AR-10 clones) and at very rudimentary level maintain them. I'm no green thumb, but I can garden...but only with modern niceties like artificial fertilizer with NPK, mulching, etc.
"Midwifery" ;)

I'm in IT also; desktop and networking support, for the most part. I'd be completely useless in a survival situation, if I hadn't specifically started to teach myself some basic skills when I was approaching age 50.Now I've got more than 10 years worth of chainmailing, leatherworking, and making-bows-out-of-improbable-materials experience. I gave up on anything plant based, as I seem to have a black thumb.

Remove ads