Your Post Apocalyptic Shopping List

Tools are important.

You'll want some big tools. An axe is ideal, but a hatchet is amazingly versatile if you want to save space. A sledgehammer would be great for for getting into/out of places, but a crowbar will suffice as a smaller option.

You'll also want a more standard size tool kit. A hammer or two. Various screwdrivers and wrenches (both english and metric in the US). Pliers. Cutters. Knives. Measuring tools (tape, ruler, calipers). Maybe a file if you have space.

What you really don't want is to be reliant on a multitool for everything. A 30-in-1 tool in your pocket is great for convenience, but simply cannot compare to having the real tools available.

Zardnaar

Legend
Agreed, and I'll be honest, I'm a city folk :) But both my parents were farm kids, and hearing their stories, I have an appreciation for what it takes to grow food and truly "live off the land". It may be cool from a gaming perspective to be decked out with some sleek black rifle with a bunker full of MRE's, foraging city remains for what's left over, and dueling it out with bandits. But at some point, you can't go it alone...not even with a typical family. Maybe with a somewhat large extended family (my mom had 7 other siblings, 2 uncles, and all their extended family living in very close proximity to help out with the farm....and even then, they would get locals to help harvest the crops and would pay them with 1/3rd what they harvested).

I think our modern city life style and even suburban life style has made us neglect our neighbors. Most houses don't even have front porches anymore. So, we've built in this idea, especially in big cities, that strangers are to be met with caution if not avoided altogether.

I've speculated that rural folk will survive an apocalypse far far better than city folk will.

Eventually he will run out. Also, if word ever got out how much food he had, he'll become a big time target. And lastly, how nutritious is that stuff? Even if he has a variety of MRE's, I'd be very suspect at the nutritional value of pre-packaged food that has a shelf life of 5 years.

But who will maintain those wind turbines and solar panels? Once the people die, there will be a shortage of people to maintain, repair and build that kind of equipment

Well they also had seeds etc.

But if the shtf it's better to have 5 years worth of food vs 5 days I suppose.

What they were doing was rotating the food into their normal meals so they're not wasting it as such.

I've got some basic skills fron growing up. I know how to forage for shellfish, dih a hangi and grow stuff and harvest it.

So I would be looking at stone age level of stuff. Cook on open fires and hangis. Think I would be screwed if it was really complete collapse though.

On the plus side I think agricultural production here coukd collapse 80-90% and theoretically we can still feed ourselves.

Rural people theoretically will cope better but they're reliant on electricity and fuel. Driving 20-50km to go hunting may not be an option. You need to live adfjacent to in a forest or near the beach.

Farm animals are theoretically fine but I imagine they would be an early target for people fleeing the cities which will have very little food and lots of competition for what's food there is.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Farm animals are theoretically fine but I imagine they would be an early target for people fleeing the cities which will have very little food and lots of competition for what's food there is.
And, considering that the vast majority of people don't have a clue how to properly butcher an animal (myself included), the majority of the edible meat would likely go to waste.

Zardnaar

Legend
And, considering that the vast majority of people don't have a clue how to properly butcher an animal (myself included), the majority of the edible meat would likely go to waste.

I know the basics but haven't handled a knife for 17 years.

Used the have the knives very sharp/take the hair off your arms type sharp but wife hated it.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I know the basics but haven't handled a knife for 17 years.

Used the have the knives very sharp/take the hair off your arms type sharp but wife hated it.
Could it cut a can and still be sharp enough for a tomato???

Zardnaar

Legend
Could it cut a can and still be sharp enough for a tomato???

Nope. Sharper the knife more brittle they are.

Got grumpy with room mates blunting them and they scared my wife lol.

They were filleting knives also had boning knives from the freezing works via a mate.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Nope. Sharper the knife more brittle they are.

Got grumpy with room mates blunting them and they scared my wife lol.

They were filleting knives also had boning knives from the freezing works via a mate.
It was a joke. American TV used to be plastered with this kind of thing

Horwath

Legend
1. Some water purification system. or two, or even three.

2. gear for hunting. Bows are good as you could easily make your own arrows with minimal tools. Bullets are a lot harder to manufacture. Set of snares for small game also is a valuable thing.

3. Laptop with powerbanks and solar cells. With lots of books on it. You cant know it all, and it's always good to refresh you knowledge.

4. being in shape, healthy, stocked with medicine that you need for couple of months, have your vaccine boosters on schedule. Tetanus being most important. Rabies and meningitis being next in line.

Remove ads