D&D 5E Your top 3 official 5E full book adventures.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
1. Curse of Strahd, DM. Needed some heavy modification for Strahd's personality (based off novels including I, Strahd) so that the diary and understanding his motivations become the key to overcoming him + mods for Ireena and some other major players + adding a 4th piece to the tarot equation to encourage more exploration. That all said, lifelong DM and self-voted it tied for my best campaign run.

2. Out of the Abyss, DM, first part and ending. This one took a ton of work to manage the NPCs and needed several adventures added in. It felt like 75% of the adventure was missing, especially in the 2nd half. Epic ending, though, as
I gave the PCs the demon lords to run in a royal rumble, and the winner faced off against the players.

3. Lost Mines of Phandelver, DM. Solid intro to 5E. A good old fashioned romp, would run it again with few fixes.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Let's see... I've run Horde of the Dragon Queen, Out of the Abyss, Dragon Heist, Tomb of Annihilation, & Decent into Avernus. I've played Curse of Strahd, Storm King's Thunder, Rime of the Frostmaiden, and Wild Beyond the Witchlight. I've run the fist half and played the second half of Elemental Evil.

They're all fine once you bang 'em into shape, but none of them are, IMO, designed very well to be run or played. I think they're meant to be read (and robbed from for your homebrew). We haven't done that - we've played them as-is. They're at best okay.

Remove ads