Your views on settings -- the good, the bad, and the useful

William Ronald

Explorer
In light of all of the threads on settings of late, I thought it might be a good idea to discuss how we use different settings and setting materials. Personally, I am a homebrew sort of person, but I will adapt something from a setting book if I like it.

So, what do you think are the good points, the bad points, and the useful things in each setting? How do you use settings and setting materials? What makes for a good setting and for a bad setting?

For example, I think the Forgotten Realms has a great deal of materials, but I do not always like how some things in the setting are implemented -- such as the way that some of the cultures seem to be distributed across Faerun. I enjoyed the FRCS book, as it included regional feats and discussed such issues as trade, life in the Realms, a variety of groups for PCs to interact with and some localized prestige classes. As for the issues of powerful characters, there are usually powerful non-player characters in each campaign setting. I think that the 3rd edition FRCS book put the focus of the action on the PCs as opposed to the NPCs. (I think that one good rule for any setting is that the PCs can make a difference.)

The World of Greyhawk has lots of room for DMs to place their own creations, and has a somewhat different feel than the Forgotten Realms. Many of the powerful NPCs seem to be a little more in the background than they are in the Realms. I think that the World of Greyhawk has some great adversaries for player characters, such as Iuz and the Scarlet Brotherhood.

Eberron has some very good ideas, such as action points and has a sense of wonder. I only played in one Eberron game at an EN World Gameday, but the setting seems to have a feel somewhat like film noir. (On a side note, I suspect that the lightning rail and other innovations were only possible in a place with the long stability of the Empire of Galifar. In some respects, this resembles the Roman Empire which was able to build aqueducts and a good road network over its centuries of dominance in parts of Europe, Asia, and North Africa.) I really can't judge the races in Eberron or the classes, so I hesitate to make much of a judgement on it in play. I do think it has an interesting approach to planes, deities, and the role of some creatures -- such as dragons -- in the setting.

In the end, I think it is up to each DM and the players to breath life into a setting. Like much else in D&D, a great deal depends on the individual gaming group as to how much fun they are having in a setting.

SO, WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Psion

Adventurer
William Ronald said:
In light of all of the threads on settings of late, I thought it might be a good idea to discuss how we use different settings and setting materials. Personally, I am a homebrew sort of person, but I will adapt something from a setting book if I like it.

Sounds about like me. I am always on the prowl for something to steal.

So, what do you think are the good points, the bad points, and the useful things in each setting? How do you use settings and setting materials? What makes for a good setting and for a bad setting?

From the plunderer's perspective? Or from someone's perspective who is going to actually play/run it.

Well, I'll hack at a little of both.

Two things seem absolutely essential for me to even have a prayer of using a setting: a strong background conflict that can be the source of adventures, and flexibility. I think the reason Spelljammer never really sold to me, despite the fact that I love many of the concepts, is that it was (in the early going, at least), fundamentally presented as a playground with some toys you could play with. That failed to keep my interest.

More generally, good mechanics and good stealable ideas really warm me up to a setting I am looking at importing things from. Scarred Lands was nice in this aspect. I found tidbits like Asaathi, Night-touched, hag templates, and Tempus Twins juicy and ripe for the picking.

I really don't care about minutia. That was one reason Rokugan could never rise above for me. Unless it has immediate campaign potential, I really don't care much about wasp clan coming of age ceremonies. (The more I think about it, the more I think WotC extracted most of the good stuff from Rokugan in OA.)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Don't forget Slacerian Dragons Psion! ;)

*loves them critters*

What's good about Scarred Lands, variety, portability, strong god centered, good way to intergrate 3.0/3.5 rules and ideas. Druids AREN'T NATURE CLERICS!!! Sorcery rules! :) Stuff like that.

SamhainIA

First Post
off the top of my head my last campaign was semi based in FR but only as a backdrop as the events were mostly planar in nature. As a GM i tend to not like using the standard Wotc settings FR greyhawk etc, because they have cannon and the way things are supposed to be. I usually just use a world for locations and gods and maybe power groups and a little bit of history.
but I am looking forward to running a home campaign in the Arcanis setting and i think i will try to use the backgrounds from teh books more than i normally do.

Andre

First Post
Psion said:
I really don't care about minutia.

I suspect I'm not typical in this regard, but one of the things I most dislike about settings is the amount of material included that the PC's never interact with, that they never have a reason to interact with, and that the players would be bored silly interacting with. I don't need 50 pages of culture, or history, or pantheons, or rituals. A page or four on each of those is probably plenty.

I want stuff that I can use in adventures (you know, that stuff the players get to do). I want stuff that will provide an interesting challenge for the PC's and a fun time for the players. Anything that doesn't affect the PC's should be kept to a minimum.

LogicsFate

First Post
Setting are great for those with out the time or the patience to make their own world... UNLESS you just make it up as you go along, like me

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*suggests to Andre to go down into the Underdark and see what's there* And if you run across a city of undead, call out Orcus. It might help. ;)

Westgate Polks

First Post
Setting impacts game play in two distinct ways: 1) backdrop for adventure and 2) impetus for interactions.

As the backdrop for adventure, the setting acts as a filter for adventures; some fit and get used while others don't fit and are ignored. In this capacity, the Forgotten Realms is a good (but not great) setting. Given the inherent high magic level that permeates the Realms, adventures lacking a strong arcane element don't fit as well as adventures with this element. Conversely, the World of Greyhawk has a slightly grittier feel and a lower magic level so more adventures fit "comfortably". The Realms have a strong rational for Drow (given the whole underdark component), so adventures containing Drow antagonists fit quite well; Greyhawk does not have the strong backstory so the Drow seem a bit out of place, etc. I think Greyhawk has more potential for modules to be dropped into than many other campaign settings, and adventures designed for Greyhawk can be ported into homebrew settings with minimal treatment.

As an impetus for interactions, settings with rich backgrounds and stronger characterisations will provide better material than more vanilla settings. In this area I believe the Realms offer tremendous opportunities. The wealth of "fluffy" material can not only serve as interaction-driving material but can catalyze the creative process for home-brew material development. Greyhawk seems more vanilla, and thus offers less material; the more transparent backdrop however does allow for more user creativity (albeit not as prompted) and thus a more customized experience.

Remove ads