• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You're Marked..how and what'sum'up?

Rechan

Adventurer
Mourn said:
Or divine retribution, as the only ranged mark we've seen (which requires you to move towards the target, or end your turn adjacent to it to maintain) is the paladin's Divine Challenge.
The text of the KotS Divine Challenge is "To engage the target, you must either attack it or end your turn adjacent to it."

My paladin, when low on HP, stood back and hurled javelins at his marked foe.

Blackeagle

First Post
Hawken said:
If that is the case, wouldn't the Fighter (or Paladin) be provoking attacks of opportunity, or opportunity attacks, or whatever it is by focusing so much of their attention on that opponent (or multiple opponents in the case of the fighter)? Obviously not, by the rules, but if that is what marking is, seems to me that's what would happen.

The fighter is good enough at combat to harass an opponent like this without making himself vulnerable to other enemies. He can command an opponent's attention without having to give that opponent all of his own attention (which also nicely explains why the other classes don't get marking abilities).

the Lorax

First Post
Hussar said:
A lack of imagination is not a failing of the ruleset.

No, no its not, but it's not unreasonable to get an intellectualization of why/how the ability works, and what this "mark" is doing to give the monster a penalty.

Clearly the "mark" is very much like a reverse version of 3.x Dodge feat, rather than watching one opponent closely to avoid his blows, you are messing with one opponent so that he has to pay more attention to you than he would like, because the moment he looks at someone else, you trip/nudge/bump/shoot an arrow past his ear/whatever.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Knowing how we typically use minis, the player who marks the monster shall take a bite out of the chip/whatever misc. snack food is serving for its mini. Everyone will remember who marked said chip because eating the food after someone else bit it is gross.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
ProfessorCirno said:
Knowing how we typically use minis, the player who marks the monster shall take a bite out of the chip/whatever misc. snack food is serving for its mini. Everyone will remember who marked said chip because eating the food after someone else bit it is gross.
Lol, well that is also good way to make sure the player sticks to what monster it has marked. Faster it is taken down sooner the rest of the food can be eaten :p

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Hawken said:
I kind of get the marking thing, as far as how the rules explain what it does, but how exactly does it work?

I mean, so a Fighter or a Paladin marks someone. So what? I can see it as a term similar to how 3E Dodge has the person choosing the target that the feat works against. But how or what is it exactly in the 'marking' that causes the target to suffer a penalty to attack?

Fighter: Aha! I just marked you!
Monster: So what? **Whacks rogue flanking him**
Fighter: You have to attack me.
Monster: Why? **Pummels paladin coming over to surround him**
Fighter: Because I marked you. If you don't, it will be harder to hit anyone else but me.
Monster: Hmmm, how exactly? I mean what exactly would cause me to miss someone else rather than hit you? **Lands two-weapon attacks on the paladin and rogue**
Fighter: Well, the mark just does it. That's why its called a 'mark'.
Monster: Oh...ok. Good luck with that!
Well, pretty much how you just described it. Having that chat with the fighter meant the monster was at -2 to all those attacks. He just got lucky.

Tuft

First Post
Saeviomagy said:
Having that chat with the fighter meant the monster was at -2 to all those attacks. He just got lucky.

Well, the monster most probably had an easier task hitting at least the rogue with those attacks even with -2 applied, so I'd say the moster was more clever than lucky... ;)

Ian O'Rourke

First Post
Tuft said:
Well, the monster most probably had an easier task hitting at least the rogue with those attacks even with -2 applied, so I'd say the moster was more clever than lucky... ;)

This is what puzzles me, if -2 is the only negative he may well still be better attacking Roges, Rangers and Wizards, etc.

TheRustyOne

Explorer
I ran through the first combat from Keep on the Shadowfell a few times Sunday to get a feel for the game, in advance of teaching it to my group. I saw the need for a way to mark being "Marked", as well as Bloodied and a few other things. I went to the local superstore and bought some 3/8" washers, and a big box of round stickers. I now have a set of red "Bloodied" markers, some "Marked" markers, and also for things like "Ongoing Spell Effect", "On Fire", etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads