• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You're Marked..how and what'sum'up?

Gloombunny

First Post
Ian O'Rourke said:
This is what puzzles me, if -2 is the only negative he may well still be better attacking Roges, Rangers and Wizards, etc.
Well, that's why defenders get to do more than just apply a -2 penalty. Paladins get to throw a nice hit of radiant damage if the mark-victim attacks someone else. The two-handed-weapon fighter from KotS gets a free attack if an adjacent marked enemy attacks someone else. The weapon-and-shield fighter from DDXP gets super-OAs that halt movement.

And of course, OAs in general help them out by discouraging enemies next to them from moving towards the wizard or using a ranged attack. And fighters get +2 to hit with those OAs.

The_Fan

First Post
Ian O'Rourke said:
This is what puzzles me, if -2 is the only negative he may well still be better attacking Roges, Rangers and Wizards, etc.
For fighters at least, the enemy can also draw an opportunity attack if they attack someone else. Paladins inflict radiant damage if their challenge is ignored.

Monsters, at least at low level, seem to just inflict the -2. That may change at higher level.

Edit: Ninja'd!

Ian O'Rourke

First Post
Gloombunny said:
Well, that's why defenders get to do more than just apply a -2 penalty. Paladins get to throw a nice hit of radiant damage if the mark-victim attacks someone else. The two-handed-weapon fighter from KotS gets a free attack if an adjacent marked enemy attacks someone else. The weapon-and-shield fighter from DDXP gets super-OAs that halt movement.

I see. Funky. I was aware of the Paladin radiant damage, now how some of the other fighter abilities hung together.

wherwrthal

First Post
One of my players suggested toothpicks.
I figured I'd color one end (red for fighter, blue for paladin, black for enemies)
It connects the two minis and shows the direction of the mark.

Fighter: Aha! I just marked you!
Monster: So what? **Whacks rogue flanking him**
Fighter: You have to attack me.
Monster: Why? **Pummels paladin coming over to surround him**
Fighter: Because I marked you. If you don't, it will be harder to hit anyone else but me.
Monster: Hmmm, how exactly? I mean what exactly would cause me to miss someone else rather than hit you? **Lands two-weapon attacks on the paladin and rogue**
Fighter: Well, the mark just does it. That's why its called a 'mark'.
Monster: Oh...ok. Good luck with that!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That does NOT lack imagination. In fact, it's pretty darn funny!

Hussar said:
A lack of imagination is not a failing of the ruleset.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
TheRustyOne said:
I went to the local superstore and bought some 3/8" washers, and a big box of round stickers. I now have a set of red "Bloodied" markers, some "Marked" markers, and also for things like "Ongoing Spell Effect", "On Fire", etc.
That's pretty clever. Good idea.

Lurker37

Explorer
We know from the powers excerpt that any creature affected by a power is aware of the power, and all its effects. It specifically used the example of a creature marked by a paladin being fully aware of what will happen if it ignores the mark.

Mort_Q

First Post
Ian O'Rourke said:

Well, the fighter gets a free OA if the marked creature shifts out of an adjacent square.

That, and the DM is adjudicating what the creature does...

... so yes, sometimes the creature will take the -2.

[edit]perhaps I should finish reading the whole thread before commenting? Nah... why start now... [/edit]

TheFool1972 said:
That does NOT lack imagination. In fact, it's pretty darn funny!

Sure, in an OoC OotS sort of way.

Last edited:

Mercule

Adventurer
Hawken said:
What I'm getting at, I guess, is that it seems like an ok thing for a video game, but it doesn't really feel like D&D to me. I mean, cast a spell, cause some kind of injury, or something to cause someone to have a penalty. But just arbitrarily inflicting a penalty on someone because you "choose" them as the focus of your attention seems lame.
After playing KotS, all I can say is that is still feels very much like D&D. Those hoping for something that feels radically different in play will be disappointed. It doesn't necessarily feel more like 3e than 1e. 4e is as much its own beast as those, but it's D&D.

As far as "marked" being unrealistic, I'd disagree with that. I'm a pretty good sized guy and I have some martial arts and sword training. I'm confident that, if I were in a fight, I could make my opponent devote enough attention to me that it'd reduce his odds of hitting the guy standing next to me. It's not just flanking. It's the guy with the bastard sword aiming for your wrists if you don't give him a good reason not to.

As it seems, most marks only last for one round. So you don´t have to track for long.

Marking seems realistic enough to me. The only thing not realistic is that you can only have one mark at the time, but its a balance mechanic.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads