Yuan Ti and allies thread (Ti-Khana critters)

Cleon

Legend
yeah....tricera published here

Hold on a sec, I thought we were changing the Bomb's damage type to force to match the damage type of arcane hand?

After mulling it over, I currently prefer force based on the idea that the "bubble" causes a sudden gravity-like acceleration which means it'll hurl creatures of any size a similar distance (ignoring air resistance). If it was an ordinary shockwave then massive objects would be thrown shorter distances that lightweight ones.

Also, as I was walking home today the thought of the other "siege engines" I mentioned in the Description made me want to stat them up as a Variants: Alternative Artillery for the Ti-khana Triceratops. It's a simple matter of swapping Telekinetic Bomb for another attack such as.

Firebomb (Recharge 5-6). Similar to Telekinetic Bomb, but does fire and bludgeoning damage instead of force damage.​
Mindburst (Recharge 5-6). Cone AoE that causes psychic damage and may briefly stun target?​
Thunderlance (Recharge 4-6). Ranged attack doing lightning and sonic damage?​
Vitriol (Recharge 3-6). Line AoE that does acid and poison damage. Maybe can cause targets to be poisoned?​

What do you think?

quetzalcoatlus or pteranodon then...

I was thinking of doing a giant pterosaur big enough for a single Malison or Pureblood to use as a flying mount, although a Tiny ti-khana pterosaur like a Pterodactylus or Rhamphorhynchus might be cool too, plus it'd create the possibility of them being a familiar or massing into a venom-toothed swarm.

They don't need to be paleontologically accurate or based on a particular family, genus or species of Pterosauria. I'm imagining a monstrous hybrid of different pterosaurs with maybe traits of other reptiles or birds tossed in the mix. More like the "Terrordactyls" you see in Saturday matinee monster movies than anything realistic.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Oh ok. Will make a new version. Alternative artillery sounds great idea! So having all four alternatives?

Ok yeah - (a) quetzalcoatlus as steed, and (b) swarm of or singular tiny pterodactyl (already in open-source by kobold press)

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Oh ok. Will make a new version.

So are we making it force damage or bludgeoning?

Alternative artillery sounds great idea! So having all four alternatives?

Might as well. Should be easy enough to whip up…

VARIANT: ALTERNATIVE CERATOPSIANS
A ti-khana triceratops may have different patterns and color of crystals set in its skull and horns, and the shape and position of its head crest and horns can vary greatly. Such creatures often have other species of Ceratopsia in their ancestry or are a different genus than Triceratops. Some ti-khana ceratopsians have blunt facial buttresses or a sharp beak instead of the lancelike horns of the triceratops variety, instead of a Gore attack doing piercing damage, these variants have slashing damage Bite attack or a bludgeoning damage Slam attack with the same numerical values.
 Instead of a Telekinetic Bomb attack, an alternative ti-khana ceratopsian has one of the following:
Fireball (Recharge 5-6). A bright streak flashes from the ti-khana ceratopsian's nose horn to a point within 150 feet and explodes into flames. Each creature in a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on that point must make a DC 16 Dexterity saving throw, taking 28 (8d6) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Mindburst (Recharge 5-6). The ti-khana ceratopsian emits psionic energy in a 60-foot cone. Each creature in that area must succeed on a DC 16 Intelligence saving throw or take 18 (4d6 + 4) psychic damage and be stunned for 1 round. On a success, the target takes half damage and is not stunned.
Thunderbolt (Recharge 3-6). Ranged Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, range 600 ft., one target. Hit 18 (4d6 + 4) lightning damage plus 18 (4d6 + 4) sonic damage.
Vitriol Beam (Recharge 5-6). The ti-khana ceratopsian's nose horn projects rays of venomously corrosive energy in a 60-foot line that is 5 feet wide. Each creature in that line takes 5 (1d10) acid damage plus 5 (1d10) poison damage and must make a DC 16 Constitution saving throw. If they fail, they take an additional 5 (1d10) acid damage plus 5 (1d10) poison damage and are poisoned for 1 hour.

Ok yeah - (a) quetzalcoatlus as steed, and (b) swarm of or singular tiny pterodactyl (already in open-source by kobold press)

Rather than specify Quetzalcoatlus, I'm more inclined to call it something generic like "Greatsail" or "Giantwing" for the big guy and maybe "Venomwing" for the little ones?

That said, I'd be OK naming the Large one the Ti-khana Pterosaur and its Tiny cousin the Ti-khana Pterodactyl, with Ti-khana Pterodactyl Swarm for the en masse version.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
ok vairants are sounding good - so in otherwords (a bit like the pokemon genesect) different crystals indicate different recharge attacks..yeah sounds good

Cleon

Legend
ok vairants are sounding good - so in otherwords (a bit like the pokemon genesect) different crystals indicate different recharge attacks..yeah sounds good

I forgot something from the Vitriol Beam. I meant the effects of failing the Con save to kick in the following round.

So rather than:

Vitriol Beam (Recharge 5-6). The ti-khana ceratopsian's nose horn projects rays of venomously corrosive energy in a 60-foot line that is 5 feet wide. Each creature in that line takes 5 (1d10) acid damage plus 5 (1d10) poison damage and must make a DC 16 Constitution saving throw. If they fail, they take an additional 5 (1d10) acid damage plus 5 (1d10) poison damage and are poisoned for 1 hour.

I meant it to be:

Vitriol Beam (Recharge 5-6). The ti-khana ceratopsian's nose horn projects rays of venomously corrosive energy in a 60-foot line that is 5 feet wide. Each creature in that line takes 5 (1d10) acid damage plus 5 (1d10) poison damage and must make a DC 16 Constitution saving throw on their turn the next round. If they fail, they take an additional 5 (1d10) acid damage plus 5 (1d10) poison damage and are poisoned for 1 hour.​

Updating the Ti-khana Triceratops.

Remove ads