Zack Snyder's Justice League - Official Trailer

Vael

Legend
Well, at least once this comes out I won't have to hear about it anymore. Whedon is a trash person, but I prefered his writing to Snyder's. I thought Justice League might have been the best of Man of Steel and BvS.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I have mixed feelings going in. The visual storytelling in the trailer is really good and I want to see what Snyder can do unfettered. However, I am somewhat ambivalent to him as a film maker. He's made some great films and some terrible ones. I'm pretty sure I will have feels one way or the other.
Man of Steel is a really, really good film. In my top 3 superhero films. So good.

BvS is really good up until the Doomsday bit (that ending and the ending of WW1 were the same special effects package, I think)

Justice League was awful. But we know now it was only 30% original footage. I am keen to see the original vision.

GreyLord

Legend
I can't say I love the idea of Doomsday, but I LOVE the Doomsday fight in BvsS.

The Wonder Woman music and how they mesh it all is pretty awesome in my book.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Man of Steel is one of my favorite films period. As a work of visual storytelling it is masterful.
MoS gets a bum rap.

I liked that it takes a very bold and very different look at Superman's upbringing. Furthermore, it has gotten a lot of hate, largely due to misconceptions.

Jonathan Kent didn't tell Clark he should have let the kids drown. He said "maybe" he should have. As in, he didn't know how to answer to the question. He was protecting his kid from a world that he (rightfully) thought would hate and mistrust him because he's an alien.

Yes. Superman kills Zod. Just like Superman killed Zod in Superman II. Just like Superman killed Zod in the comic book. Superman kills Zod. It's part of the story. The difference is that in Superman II, Superman happily kills a Zod who has been depowered and is not a threat, while in MoS, Superman reluctantly kills Zod to save a family and who will always be an existential threat to Earth.

And, contrary to popular belief, Superman does smile in the movie. Notably, in the scene where's he's interviewed by Lois and responds that the "S" is the Krytponian word for hope.

That's not to say that the movie isn't flawed.

Snyder wasted a major character. The computer would have been a perfect vehicle to bring in Brainiac. Moreover, the church scene was hamfisted.

Overall, it was a necessary reimagining of some of the staler parts of the Superman story.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
We signed up for a 6 month package of HBO Now back in December (currently watching the Harley Quinn animated series) so I'll check it out. I have yet to really like a Zack Snyder film, though, so I have no high expectations.

Retreater

Legend
I couldn't make it more than 30 minutes into the Joss Whedon version. I really disliked "Batman v Superman" (a joyless film with the most confusing tone of a blockbuster film I've ever seen) and "Wonder Woman 84" (Roger Corman direct-to-video quality there). However, Aquaman was silly fun, and the first Wonder Woman movie was the best balanced of the current DC lineup. "Man of Steel" was ... well, I didn't like it - I guess I'd compare it to whatever the worst MCU movie is - Thor: Dark World?
Watching a 4-hour cut of Justice League feels like watching extended editions of the Hobbit movies, all in Zack Snyder's signature gritty gray color palette.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
MoS gets a bum rap.

I liked that it takes a very bold and very different look at Superman's upbringing. Furthermore, it has gotten a lot of hate, largely due to misconceptions.

Jonathan Kent didn't tell Clark he should have let the kids drown. He said "maybe" he should have. As in, he didn't know how to answer to the question. He was protecting his kid from a world that he (rightfully) thought would hate and mistrust him because he's an alien.
Kal is who he is because of his moral, midwestern upbringing. In every iteration he's a good person because he was raised to be altruistic, not to take advantage of those weaker than him and to HELP those who cant help themselves.

Arguably, this character? The ZS version? ISNT SUPERMAN. because of John Kent would never have said "Maybe". He might have said "YES, but there's going to be a price to pay for your exposure". But never "maybe".

My son, who was 10 years old when I took him to see it on Fathers Day had HUGE problems with this movie. Specifically Clark NOT saving Johnathan from the tornado. He was so troubled that a son would NOT save his dad that we had an extensive conversation about it walking to the subway from the theater.

I tried to explain to him that as a parent our first and strongest obligation is to protect our children. He listened and understood.

But after a long pause said: "I would STILL would have saved you. You would have been mad. But you would have been ALIVE."

That was one of my biggest problems with MAN OF STEEL as a "superman" movie. Not Kal himself, but the tone and world around him. It's not inspirational. It's not hopeful. It's not humanity looking up at the sky and saying "hey maybe we can be better just like HE is."

It's people suck and even a school bus FULL OF YOUR CLASSMATES might not be worth saving.

Even with me saying all to this MAN OF STEEL is probably my favorite DCU movie. Visually it's AMAZING looking. But it's mostly because I don't view it as a Superman movie. I just look at it as a generic first contact/alien invasion movie. Maybe even an Elseworlds type thing. But (to me) that's not Superman, more importantly it's not the message that Superman would propagate.

Remove ads